Ortiz and Hafner at 1B (when?) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ortiz and Hafner at 1B (when?)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby commence8 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:37 pm

I really appreciate all the analysis guys (the Cafe is great!).

Hafner getting his 2nd game at 1B (there hasn't even been any interleague yet) is money!

That means that he'll only have to play 5 out of his 9 interleague games in NL ballparks to get 7 games at 1B.

As for Ortiz, he got 10 games at 1B last year. However, I was a bit disappointed to see Youkilis get another day off and Ortiz not playing 1B.
Will always help in return (leave a link to your question in response)
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby commence8 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:50 pm

noseeum wrote:I don't see Ortiz getting 7 starts all year or at least I don't see him getting them early enough to be worth stashing on your bench.

These guys are pretty close to being equal in value, so there's no sense using two spots and hurting your team waiting to use them both. You already have Pujols, so you only would be able to use one of them anyway.

There's a good change neither of them gets 7 starts all year at 1B. I'd drop at least one right away.

I'd have to disagree too, but I see your point. However, I don't think stashing both of these guys on my bench is hurting me too much now. I posted my roster on the 1st page of this thread.

Right now I have an ALL STAR roster of injured players (Halladay, Carpenter, and Mauer), and if I have to sustain another injury then one of the guys will have to go...but for now I'm OK.

BTW, I made 2 changes to the roster that I posted. Dumped Braun (couldn't wait on him any longer) and Ellis for Contreras and Sweeney (Hoping Sweeney can get 7 games at 1B).
Will always help in return (leave a link to your question in response)
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Leena » Mon May 14, 2007 10:13 pm

Hang on to Pronk. It was said before the season that he'd get some starts at 1B. In a month's time, he'll reach 7 games. And you'll have monster value with a WW selection. Good job.
Leena
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby quitesanemax » Mon May 14, 2007 11:02 pm

Ortiz plays DH unless there is no DH. Hinske is backup before Ortiz. Looking at the schedule, the RedSox only have 9 games on the road in the NL. They are all before the end of June. I expect Ortiz to play in 8 of them (I could see Francona taking advantage of the no DH to give Ortiz a night off).

Looks like Haffner is well on his way. He should be able to get 7 starts before the end of June as well. Its looking good for you, if you can afford to keep these two on the bench until then.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WhiteHot » Mon May 14, 2007 11:04 pm

American League is full of lazies...AL should stand for "Awfully Lazy."
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby noseeum » Tue May 15, 2007 12:59 am

commence8 wrote:
noseeum wrote:I don't see Ortiz getting 7 starts all year or at least I don't see him getting them early enough to be worth stashing on your bench.

These guys are pretty close to being equal in value, so there's no sense using two spots and hurting your team waiting to use them both. You already have Pujols, so you only would be able to use one of them anyway.

There's a good change neither of them gets 7 starts all year at 1B. I'd drop at least one right away.

I'd have to disagree too, but I see your point. However, I don't think stashing both of these guys on my bench is hurting me too much now. I posted my roster on the 1st page of this thread.

Right now I have an ALL STAR roster of injured players (Halladay, Carpenter, and Mauer), and if I have to sustain another injury then one of the guys will have to go...but for now I'm OK.

BTW, I made 2 changes to the roster that I posted. Dumped Braun (couldn't wait on him any longer) and Ellis for Contreras and Sweeney (Hoping Sweeney can get 7 games at 1B).

With that additional start ahead of time and today's talk that Hafner will def be in there, I think he's safe. But I don't see Ortiz getting 7.

Hold onto Ortiz if there's nothing super appealing on the wire, but if you see someone get dropped that you really want, I'd still drop Ortiz. Pujols + Hafner ain't bad!
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Tue May 15, 2007 8:14 am

noseeum wrote: But I don't see Ortiz getting 7.

He gets 1st base eligibility every year. Why would this year be any different? The Red Sox are very unlikely to bench Ortiz, so when they play in NL parks, he plays first. Again, I could see him getting one day off, but thats all. Barring injury, of course, Ortiz will get 7 games at 1st base.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mikhayl » Tue May 15, 2007 10:22 am

May 14 Anthony Castrovince, of Cleveland.Indians.MLB.com, reports Cleveland Indians DH Travis Hafner started at first base Sunday, May 13. The team will use Hafner at first more in the coming days as they get him ready for interleague play.

link

;-D
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JakeTrain72 » Tue May 15, 2007 2:00 pm

I think Hafner could get eligibility after that first road series in cincy in early june.

This would be a significant boost in his value. Considering he didn't have 1b going into this season, he would have 1b for 2/3 of this year and all of next year at minimum.

He moves up to the end of the first round in re-draft leagues and now knocks on the door of the top 10 in keeper leagues probably in the 10-15 range.

Stay healthy Pronk and flash that leather!
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sun May 20, 2007 1:13 pm

;-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext