Here's an Idea... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Here's an Idea...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Here's an Idea...

Postby CardinalFreek989 » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:47 pm

I doubt that Walt Jocketty would do this.. but the padres are looking to trade him since they just signed Jay Payton.. so how about Terrence Long? He would fit perfectly in the cardianls lineup with his speed and being a left handed hitter. He could easilly fit batting 2nd or maybe even leadoff. The cards need a left fielder and Long could probably play there. I doubt this would ever happen.. but it's not out of the question in their search for a left fielder.
CardinalFreek989
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Here's an Idea...

Postby wrveres » Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:29 pm

CardinalFreek989 wrote:I doubt that Walt Jocketty would do this.. but the padres are looking to trade him since they just signed Jay Payton.. so how about Terrence Long? He would fit perfectly in the cardianls lineup with his speed and being a left handed hitter. He could easilly fit batting 2nd or maybe even leadoff. The cards need a left fielder and Long could probably play there. I doubt this would ever happen.. but it's not out of the question in their search for a left fielder.

I know San Diego would love to get rid of Long but I thought the Cardinals were all about saving cash this offseason. I don't see it. unless it is an even swap of cash.

Ya Think STL is interested in a 7 million dollar "Super Utility" guy also? I'm sure Kevin would love to get him off the books too :-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:33 pm

cards are saving every possible penny they have to pay pujols who is going to get a large increase in salary. thats part of the reason why they are giving ST invites to guys like vaughn and lankford. its now looking like pujols is going to get somewhere around 9 million next year.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:22 am

a post dispatch article indicated the cards were interested in travis lee or raul mondesi and they are no longer interested in glendon rusch (i cant believer they were in the first place). it also said they are still interested in maddux but dont think they can afford him especially since he is looking for three years and mr. pujols is looking for a big contract. walt and tony are saying a lot of good things about carpenter kind of like they were talking up tomko last year.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Padres19 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:05 am

Considering he only made 900,000 last year, i'd give him whatever he asked for.
[list]Classic Jerry Colmanisms
[*]"Montreal leads Atlanta by three, 5-1."
[*]"They throw Winfield out at second, but he's safe."
[*]"Johnny Grubb slides into second with a standup double."[/list:u]
Padres19
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:23 am

Padres19 wrote:Considering he only made 900,000 last year, i'd give him whatever he asked for.

i would to. walt is going to get lynched if albert ever wears anything but a cards uni. he is arbitration eligible for three more years so there isnt any reason to panic if a deal doesnt get done this offseason but i would feel a lot better if it did. he rejected a 5 year ~55 million dollar offer. he hasnt really said what he is asking for but i think he wants a few more years on the deal. i think something like 7 or 8 years with the first three years being about 10-11 million and then about 15 for the next 4 or 5 years. so that would be about 90-93 million over 7 years or 105-108 for 8 years. by comparison, rolen has an 8 year 90 million dollar deal.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby bbtime » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:21 pm

j_d_mcnugent:
i think something like 7 or 8 years with the first three years being about 10-11 million and then about 15 for the next 4 or 5 years. so that would be about 90-93 million over 7 years or 105-108 for 8 years. by comparison, rolen has an 8 year 90 million dollar deal.

90 millions now that's is a lot to just play ball.
bbtime
T-Ball Trainer

Postby bell » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:48 pm

bbtime wrote:j_d_mcnugent:
i think something like 7 or 8 years with the first three years being about 10-11 million and then about 15 for the next 4 or 5 years. so that would be about 90-93 million over 7 years or 105-108 for 8 years. by comparison, rolen has an 8 year 90 million dollar deal.

90 millions now that's is a lot to just play ball.

The league minimum is a lot just to play ball.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to St. Louis Cardinals