The Most Hated Family in America - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Most Hated Family in America

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Most Hated Family in America

Postby CheeseBeger » Wed May 09, 2007 11:34 pm

Last month BBC did an hour long documentary on the Westboro Batpist Church (God Hates Mod edit: Another word for homosexual). It has been broken up into six parts and is on YouTube. Below is part one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QRyr3_nCF4

It is extremely interesting, well done and eye opening into the inner workings of a cult-group.

The host/report Louis Theroux also does a great job.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRock » Wed May 09, 2007 11:52 pm

I've only watched part I and so far all I can say is

8-o
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

Postby cordscords » Wed May 09, 2007 11:55 pm

The WBC has been talked about a ton in my English class.

They have their strong points, but they misinterprate sections of the bible, and their delivery style isnt the strongest :-o
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby TheRock » Thu May 10, 2007 12:14 am

cordscords wrote:They have their strong points, but they misinterprate sections of the bible, and their delivery style isnt the strongest :-o

Their delivery style is plenty strong. Imagine if they had that much zeal for spreading a positive message instead of spreading hate.

Baffling to me that they can so completely miss the point of Christianity. I guess in their minds the only true Christians in the world are themselves.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Fantasy_Cafe_Prince » Thu May 10, 2007 1:53 am

They're not really that bad, are they?
"I done fell out with my mother. She never loved me." ~George W. Bush
Fantasy_Cafe_Prince
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pablo975 » Thu May 10, 2007 2:00 am

Wow.

This actually hits me in about the same spot as the recent story of the Iraqi girl being stoned to death: It just saddens me that some people are SO caught up in their religious "stuff" so much that they hurt others intentionally thinking God wanted them to do it. And no, the WBC crew hasn't killed anyone, I realize that. But ya never know.....I'd say it could happen.

The only positive thing I heard in the whole thing was the girl saying she had no interest in marriage or kids as the end times are near. Good, maybe the retard bloodline will die out soon due to their incessant, ineffective picketing and lack of sexual relations with anyone.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby theclefe » Thu May 10, 2007 2:43 am

They speak the truth!

I can't really argue with their logic. I just wish they didn't get the British guy from the Daily Show to be the reporter, unless every reporter in England has stupid glasses like that.

EDIT: the more I watch, the more I want to strangle that reporter. He is a cigarette enabler.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Half Massed » Thu May 10, 2007 2:54 am

"God did this, so it's perfect." So it was God who made their picket line, but someone else who made gay people? I'm glad they have the authority to decide what God did and did not do.

It sounds like they just want the attention. They're not trying to bring people to their side, they wouldn't even listen to the one guy who was saying that he didn't agree with the homosexual lifestyle, and they know that their methods aren't changing people's minds. Basically, they're just using Christianity to spread their hate. I don't even think Christianity is even their core belief system, it's just a tool they use. "We adhere to all the tenets of all the mainstream religions." Like love your fellow man? Sure thing guys. :-t
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CheeseBeger » Thu May 10, 2007 8:08 am

The part that struck me the most was that of the 21 year old daughter that Louis spoke with. You could tell that he was on some level getting to her by her mannerisms. You could tell there was some real internal stuggle there, but she couldn't really go again her entire family/life.

And the 7 year old at the end was creepy... Talk about some early indoctrination.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu May 10, 2007 11:01 am

As deplorable as the crap these people pull is, I think they make a larger negative impact by serving as a scapegoat. They are so extreme with their hatred that they allow the "regular" homophobe to feel better about himself (or herself I guess) and not feel bad for his own actions. The person who doesn't necessarily hate gay people, but sure doesn't want to work closely with one, or see two guys holding hands, the guy who casually uses the "f" word and refers to things he doesn't like as "gay"...he can say, "I'm not a homophobe, those guys are homophobic." And go about his day secure in the knowledge that his feelings towards gay people aren't that bad because there are more extreme people out there.

It's comparable to how an organization like the KKK would allow somebody who maybe isn't openly and aggressively racist to feel better about themselves. I sure we all know somebody like that: They don't have a problem with black people, per se, they just don't want their daughter bringing one home, they probably cross the street or hold their purse a little tighter if they see a group of black teenagers approaching, etc. Having groups of such extremes, groups that are absolutely hate-filled and proud of it, makes others like like they are not so bad in contrast.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk