Which slow starters are not going to turn it around?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which slow starters are not going to turn it around??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jbauer2485 » Wed May 16, 2007 2:05 am

os_gamejunkie wrote:As far as injuries are concerned: I'd go with Chris Carpenter, not an easy injury to rebound from plus he's had Tommy John surgery in the past.

Production wise: I'm going to take a stab at Abreu. The Abreu vs. Beltran debates are over. Still has plate discpline and will tally runs and walks, but I believe age is taking it's toll.

Interesting that a lot of the preseason predictions look to be coming true. I remember a lot of notable people (can't remember who) predicting a major down year for Abreu. I don't think anyone thought it would be this extreme, but at least they were closer than the general consensus of the cafe, which was that he would be a great as a Yankee for one full year and a "lock" for good numbers.

Count me in the group who thought he would be great this year.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Wed May 16, 2007 9:09 pm

nmarq8 wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
nmarq8 wrote:Somehow Pujols got mentioned in this thread... I'll take him off your hands! :-D

I'm worried about him now. Why pitch to him? Is Rolen or Edmonds going to hurt you...or retire? The need to get someone else behind him. He and Jason Bay are hurting due to weakness around them.

This is actually a valid argument. Despite how good of a hitter pujols is his RBI/run totals could really be effected by his team this year. HOWEVER lets not forget its albert freaking pujols. At a minimum this year i would expect 110/40/110/.300. Lets be patient B-)

I know, and it's kind of depressing, being a former Helton and Bay owner, who have both suffered weak lineup effects.

If Mantle can do it (1959, 27-years-old), so can Pujols.

You have a valid arguement. But I don't think Helton and Bay are in the same category as pujols. Look at Bonds a few years ago, his last fully healthy season. who was his protection there, pedro feliz, marquis grissom?
IMO, you're right, teams are going let's make the rest of the cards beat us and give pujols four balls in the dirt. He wants to help his team so he's swinging at pitches he probably shouldn't. His numbers won't be as good as they were last year, but he'll still be solid. As I said before, I'd still love to have him for the rest of the year.

The Bonds you mention is a far better hitter than Pujols or Helton. Helton and Bay aren't in the same category as you are straw manning, but they are in the one I mention.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers