Which slow starters are not going to turn it around?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which slow starters are not going to turn it around??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby angelo285 » Tue May 15, 2007 5:28 am

Paul Konerko

I just traded him for Nomar/Shields and im pretty happy about it considering I was in dire need of SP because of injuries.

Seriously, though, he's had season-long meltdowns in the past, plus his stats seem to fluctuate so much year by year its hard to predict. Its looking more and more like he could be in for another 2003 season...
angelo285
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JakeTrain72 » Tue May 15, 2007 1:47 pm

Abreu- stick a fork in him
Howard-will be back fine
Furcal- will be back fine
Atkins- will be back fine
Zimmerman- don't expect much
A. Gordon- will come around in 2nd half
Ibanez - will come around
Konerko - goes as the Sox go, should improve
Pujols - I'll take him on my team
Wright - will be better, but still lower than expectations
Andruw Jones - will be back strong
Berkman - see Konerko
Soriano - will be fine
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kaiser » Tue May 15, 2007 2:41 pm

JakeTrain72 wrote:Abreu- stick a fork in him
Howard-will be back fine
Furcal- will be back fine
Atkins- will be back fine
Zimmerman- don't expect much
A. Gordon- will come around in 2nd half
Ibanez - will come around
Konerko - goes as the Sox go, should improve
Pujols - I'll take him on my team
Wright - will be better, but still lower than expectations
Andruw Jones - will be back strong
Berkman - see Konerko
Soriano - will be fine

Dead on the money. My only real qualm is with Jones. I'm a Braves fan, and I love his HRs. Problem is, he tries to hit one in every at bat... it's why he struck out with the tying run at second to end the game last night... trying to win it with one swing.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 307)

Postby hot4tx » Tue May 15, 2007 4:30 pm

angelo285 wrote:Paul Konerko

Seriously, though, he's had season-long meltdowns in the past, plus his stats seem to fluctuate so much year by year its hard to predict. Its looking more and more like he could be in for another 2003 season...

Konerko's been one of the most consistent hitters over the past 8 years. He was hurt alot in 2003 and his numbers reflect that.

How 'bout we compare this to 2005 when he hit .218 in April and .227 in May, but hit .312 after that to end with 40 HR and a .283 BA?

He's been streaky in the past on a month-to-month basis but, ignoring 2003, has average 31 HR, 102 RBI, and a .292 BA from 1999 to 2006.

He's definitely not been the 4th or 5th rounder you thought he'd be at the draft, but I still don't think you'll get enough in a trade right now compared to what he'll give you for the rest of the season. We'll see in the end but I wouldn't sell low on him yet.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Shock6822 » Tue May 15, 2007 4:40 pm

Baldelli? :-?
Shock6822
College Coach
College Coach

Postby angelo285 » Tue May 15, 2007 4:55 pm

hot4tx wrote:
angelo285 wrote:Paul Konerko

Konerko's been one of the most consistent hitters over the past 8 years. He was hurt alot in 2003 and his numbers reflect that.

How 'bout we compare this to 2005 when he hit .218 in April and .227 in May, but hit .312 after that to end with 40 HR and a .283 BA?

He's been streaky in the past on a month-to-month basis but, ignoring 2003, has average 31 HR, 102 RBI, and a .292 BA from 1999 to 2006.

He's definitely not been the 4th or 5th rounder you thought he'd be at the draft, but I still don't think you'll get enough in a trade right now compared to what he'll give you for the rest of the season. We'll see in the end but I wouldn't sell low on him yet.

We'll have to wait and see :>

I think there is a chance he breaks outta this slump and still cranks 35 dingers, but he will surely not match the production he's had the past 3 seasons.

It's also easy to say 'he was injured most of 2003', but the fact is he still played almost an entire season so it couldn't have been that serious.
angelo285
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Little Lee » Tue May 15, 2007 5:31 pm

angels7777 wrote:
Little Lee wrote:
wrveres wrote:didn't see this name anywhere ..

But Pat Burrell.
He has turned it up a notch at the beginning of this home stand, and Philly has 7 games at home next week.
Hope you got him in your lineup on time ;)

If he holds true to last years form he will have a good first half and go in the tank 2nd half, sell high if you can

How in the world could you sell high on Burrell? Right now he has no value really and it's hard to sell high on a guy who already has minimal value...

The title to this thread is what slow starters are going to turn it around. Wrveres suggested that Burrell had turned it up a notch. Having owned Burrell in other years I shared my experience with him, that is all. If you own him he will make a contribution early in the year, if you have a chance to move him do it.
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby activechamp2006 » Tue May 15, 2007 7:06 pm

Little Lee wrote:
angels7777 wrote:
Little Lee wrote:
wrveres wrote:didn't see this name anywhere ..

But Pat Burrell.
He has turned it up a notch at the beginning of this home stand, and Philly has 7 games at home next week.
Hope you got him in your lineup on time ;)

If he holds true to last years form he will have a good first half and go in the tank 2nd half, sell high if you can

How in the world could you sell high on Burrell? Right now he has no value really and it's hard to sell high on a guy who already has minimal value...

The title to this thread is what slow starters are going to turn it around. Wrveres suggested that Burrell had turned it up a notch. Having owned Burrell in other years I shared my experience with him, that is all. If you own him he will make a contribution early in the year, if you have a chance to move him do it.

The title is actually which slow starters are not going to turn it around.

The answer is the Garrett Atkins diet.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nmarq8 » Wed May 16, 2007 12:58 am

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
nmarq8 wrote:Somehow Pujols got mentioned in this thread... I'll take him off your hands! :-D

I'm worried about him now. Why pitch to him? Is Rolen or Edmonds going to hurt you...or retire? The need to get someone else behind him. He and Jason Bay are hurting due to weakness around them.

This is actually a valid argument. Despite how good of a hitter pujols is his RBI/run totals could really be effected by his team this year. HOWEVER lets not forget its albert freaking pujols. At a minimum this year i would expect 110/40/110/.300. Lets be patient B-)

I know, and it's kind of depressing, being a former Helton and Bay owner, who have both suffered weak lineup effects.

If Mantle can do it (1959, 27-years-old), so can Pujols.

You have a valid arguement. But I don't think Helton and Bay are in the same category as pujols. Look at Bonds a few years ago, his last fully healthy season. who was his protection there, pedro feliz, marquis grissom?
IMO, you're right, teams are going let's make the rest of the cards beat us and give pujols four balls in the dirt. He wants to help his team so he's swinging at pitches he probably shouldn't. His numbers won't be as good as they were last year, but he'll still be solid. As I said before, I'd still love to have him for the rest of the year.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 16, 2007 1:05 am

Shock6822 wrote:Baldelli? :-?

Over-Injured :-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero