Which slow starters are not going to turn it around?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which slow starters are not going to turn it around??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Laean » Sun May 13, 2007 6:07 am

orange12 wrote:I have a team with a trifecta of underachievers: Konerko, Furcal, and Sheffield. But I have absolutely no qualms about leaving any of them in my lineup every day simply because I know they'll pick it up.

i'd do the same too. sheff has already turned it around i think. i traded jd drew and armando benitez for sheff when jd drew's avg was like .360 and sheff's avg in the .100s. since the trade, drew's been hitting somewhere in the .200s while sheff's given me .300 avg and about 5 hrs and 4 sbs.

i guess the good thing for him is that armando's era was 4+ while on my team and 2 something since going on his.

the only hitter that i've actually given in on and started benching is sexson. i'm still starting pudge, michael young, and andruw jones every game.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby os_gamejunkie » Sun May 13, 2007 6:24 am

As far as injuries are concerned: I'd go with Chris Carpenter, not an easy injury to rebound from plus he's had Tommy John surgery in the past.

Production wise: I'm going to take a stab at Abreu. The Abreu vs. Beltran debates are over. Still has plate discpline and will tally runs and walks, but I believe age is taking it's toll.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Little Lee » Sun May 13, 2007 8:24 am

wrveres wrote:didn't see this name anywhere ..

But Pat Burrell.
He has turned it up a notch at the beginning of this home stand, and Philly has 7 games at home next week.
Hope you got him in your lineup on time ;)

If he holds true to last years form he will have a good first half and go in the tank 2nd half, sell high if you can
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon May 14, 2007 11:16 pm

Scratch Wright off the list.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Mon May 14, 2007 11:21 pm

I didn't see this was the "Not" list, I must have missed it.
In knowing that, I would like to move Pat the Bat to the "Going to turn it around list".

think Positive.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1149)

Postby nmarq8 » Mon May 14, 2007 11:44 pm

Somehow Pujols got mentioned in this thread... I'll take him off your hands! :-D

I think Abreu's avg will pick up as he figures his role in the yanks lineup. The limited amount I've seen him it seems he's trying to do too much. It'll take a couple months, but he'll be fine. Age is obviously going to decrease his power numbers a little.

Delgado should be fine. he's naturally a streaky hitter. Add to that that he barely had a spring training and it makes sense, he's behind schedule. I've learned to be patient with delgado.

I do think Ryan Howard will be down this year - this is like his sophomore slump. Pitchers now know how to pitch him and his plate discipline is not quite there yet.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby angels7777 » Mon May 14, 2007 11:54 pm

Little Lee wrote:
wrveres wrote:didn't see this name anywhere ..

But Pat Burrell.
He has turned it up a notch at the beginning of this home stand, and Philly has 7 games at home next week.
Hope you got him in your lineup on time ;)

If he holds true to last years form he will have a good first half and go in the tank 2nd half, sell high if you can

How in the world could you sell high on Burrell? Right now he has no value really and it's hard to sell high on a guy who already has minimal value...
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 500)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue May 15, 2007 12:53 am

nmarq8 wrote:Somehow Pujols got mentioned in this thread... I'll take him off your hands! :-D

I'm worried about him now. Why pitch to him? Is Rolen or Edmonds going to hurt you...or retire? They need to get someone else behind him. He and Jason Bay are hurting due to weakness around them.
Last edited by Chrisy Moltisanti on Tue May 15, 2007 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue May 15, 2007 1:05 am

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
nmarq8 wrote:Somehow Pujols got mentioned in this thread... I'll take him off your hands! :-D

I'm worried about him now. Why pitch to him? Is Rolen or Edmonds going to hurt you...or retire? The need to get someone else behind him. He and Jason Bay are hurting due to weakness around them.

This is actually a valid argument. Despite how good of a hitter pujols is his RBI/run totals could really be effected by his team this year. HOWEVER lets not forget its albert freaking pujols. At a minimum this year i would expect 110/40/110/.300. Lets be patient B-)
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 33)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Tue May 15, 2007 1:11 am

jake_harv88 wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:

I'm worried about him now. Why pitch to him? Is Rolen or Edmonds going to hurt you...or retire? The need to get someone else behind him. He and Jason Bay are hurting due to weakness around them.

This is actually a valid argument. Despite how good of a hitter pujols is his RBI/run totals could really be effected by his team this year. HOWEVER lets not forget its albert freaking pujols. At a minimum this year i would expect 110/40/110/.300. Lets be patient B-)

I know, and it's kind of depressing, being a former Helton and Bay owner, who have both suffered weak lineup effects.

If Mantle can do it (1959, 27-years-old), so can Pujols.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers