Ricky henderson you got to be kidding me - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ricky henderson you got to be kidding me

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 10, 2007 12:40 am

Old_Style wrote:I hear the Cubs are interested.

Bravo.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby XHendrix » Thu May 10, 2007 12:52 am

You guys are saying that guy can play competively. [/img]
XHendrix
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mrkrab2003 » Thu May 10, 2007 1:03 am

noseeum wrote:I didn't understand why no one gave him a chance. He can still run, play good defense, and his OBP will easily be over .325. His BA might only be .260 or so with not much power, but he has a great eye.

Plenty of teams have players that are worse than him.

maybe the white sox should go after him. seeing how only Darin Erstad is the only player with a batting average over .230
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Half Massed » Thu May 10, 2007 1:17 am

XHendrix wrote:
noseeum wrote:I didn't understand why no one gave him a chance. He can still run, play good defense, and his OBP will easily be over .325. His BA might only be .260 or so with not much power, but he has a great eye.

cuz he's 48, u think his body can even handle 25 games?

He's been playing independent leagues for a few years after he left the majors. Shorter seasons, but still a decent chunk. I think he could hold up, especially if he didn't start every day.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby theclefe » Thu May 10, 2007 1:37 am

Half Massed wrote:
XHendrix wrote:

He's been playing independent leagues for a few years after he left the majors. Shorter seasons, but still a decent chunk. I think he could hold up, especially if he didn't start every day.

He could play a half-season of ball. I hope he does. Clemens has started the trend, and there will be dozens of players doing it in a decade.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Splendid61 » Thu May 10, 2007 1:38 am

Half Massed wrote:
XHendrix wrote:

Got to watch him in Newark just a few years ago. He's in great shape, a lot like Julio Franco. Rickey's always prided himself on not lifting weights, but instead using his body weight as resistence to maintain his strength.

I don't know what this "it's been 5 years" talk is about, he's only been out of the majors for 3 and a half years... the Dodgers signed him late in the 2003 season.

As stated, Rickey can still get on base at a rate probably better than half of current MLB leadoff hitters and he can still wreak ravoc once he gets on. I'd love to see him come back and get his 300th homer, he only needs 3 more.
Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Thu May 10, 2007 2:16 am

Ricky Henderson is diesel.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

Postby ab » Thu May 10, 2007 7:02 am

[quote="Half Massed"]Maybe Oakland can sign him, look who they're running out there now. :-b[/quote]

You know, that's not really all that crazy. I'm sure he can still take a walk or two, and I'd rather have a 48 year old Rickey Henderson than Jason Kendall leading off.

BTW, the guy only wants a minor league contract. Seems like he's willing to prove himself.
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tal1286 » Thu May 10, 2007 10:11 am

Splendid61 wrote:
Half Massed wrote:
XHendrix wrote:

Got to watch him in Newark just a few years ago. He's in great shape, a lot like Julio Franco. Rickey's always prided himself on not lifting weights, but instead using his body weight as resistence to maintain his strength.

I don't know what this "it's been 5 years" talk is about, he's only been out of the majors for 3 and a half years... the Dodgers signed him late in the 2003 season.

As stated, Rickey can still get on base at a rate probably better than half of current MLB leadoff hitters and he can still wreak ravoc once he gets on. I'd love to see him come back and get his 300th homer, he only needs 3 more.

Do you think he could hit all 3 in one game?d

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers