SI's Most Intimidating Pitchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SI's Most Intimidating Pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SI's Most Intimidating Pitchers

Postby StlSluggers » Wed May 09, 2007 11:38 am

Standing tall on the high pitching mounds of the 1960s, few pitchers insisted on owning the inner half of the plate the way Gibson did. In his autobiography, he wrote that he threw nine pitches: "two different fastballs, two sliders, a curve, a change-up, knockdown, brushback, and hit-batsman."

:-D

You can see the entire list here.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: SI's Most Intimidating Pitchers

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 09, 2007 11:45 am

StlSluggers wrote:
Standing tall on the high pitching mounds of the 1960s, few pitchers insisted on owning the inner half of the plate the way Gibson did. In his autobiography, he wrote that he threw nine pitches: "two different fastballs, two sliders, a curve, a change-up, knockdown, brushback, and hit-batsman."

:-D

You can see the entire list here.


Thats awesome..I wish they said more about RJ though ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed May 09, 2007 11:48 am

Lincecum didn't make the list?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 09, 2007 11:49 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Cole Hamels didn't make the list?


Corrected

;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed May 09, 2007 11:59 am

acsguitar wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Cole Hamels didn't make the list?


Corrected

;-D


I knew you were going to do that. :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11421
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby Yoda » Wed May 09, 2007 12:00 pm

Where is Jamie Moyer?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby Pochucker » Wed May 09, 2007 1:15 pm

Great list! Brings back memories. Have seen all but three on list pitch in person. Damn Im old!
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 679
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 4 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Wed May 09, 2007 2:17 pm

Wow, I'd rather face all those guys, except Gibson, instead of Pedro. Pedro is just mean when he pitches unlike the wild guys Pedro knew where he was throwing at you. IMO, he should be #2.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8518
(Past Year: 122)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Wed May 09, 2007 2:19 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Wow, I'd rather face all those guys, except Gibson, instead of Pedro. Pedro is just mean when he pitches unlike the wild guys Pedro knew where he was throwing at you. IMO, he should be #2.

I never got to watch many of the other guys, so when I felt the same way, I tempered my surprise with my admitted ignorance. However, if others say the same thing, I'll jump on the bandwagon. He's a pit bull!

I should add that - being a lefty myself - RJ holds an bit of extra intimidation in my heart. I once read that his release point can be as far as a whole foot behind a lefty's body.

8-o
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Yoda » Wed May 09, 2007 2:28 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Wow, I'd rather face all those guys, except Gibson, instead of Pedro. Pedro is just mean when he pitches unlike the wild guys Pedro knew where he was throwing at you. IMO, he should be #2.

I never got to watch many of the other guys, so when I felt the same way, I tempered my surprise with my admitted ignorance. However, if others say the same thing, I'll jump on the bandwagon. He's a pit bull!

I should add that - being a lefty myself - RJ holds an bit of extra intimidation in my heart. I once read that his release point can be as far as a whole foot behind a lefty's body.

8-o


I never watched those older guys but RJ would be on top for me as well. He looks mean as hell, he is wild and throws 100 MPH. Lefties had no chance for a long time.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Oct. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact