Toronto baseball moments - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

Toronto baseball moments

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Toronto baseball moments

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:47 am

You all probably know that Babe Ruth hit his first professional home run in Toronto. I was around when Dave Winfield was arrested for killing a seagull with a baseball at Exhibition Stadium (on one bounce from the outfield) and when George Bell told all Jays fans to kiss his "purple butt".

I was actually at the game when the Jays hit 10 home runs. My favourite Toronto baseball memory though was when psycho Damaso Garcia, in a fit of pique, burned his uniform in the Jays clubhouse. That was classic. Ballplayers just don't have personality like that anymore. Bring back Damo!

Anybody else have any Toronto baseball moments.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby C-Hawk » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:37 pm

I have a few too but the one I enjoyed the most as a "young" fan was sitting my right field in ole ex stadium and runnin' for the home run ball into the empty football field.

speaking of Bell and the purple butt which was great remember the whole Stottlymyre and the philly mayor match. ;-D
C-Hawk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby zepfan » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:30 pm

Around 1989 not sure who it was but someone charged Stottlemyre after being hit by a pitch and Todd gave the guy a backdrop that would've made The Undertaker proud.
1988 when the Jays came back against Boston after being down 10-0. Back when Sox and Jays had a good rivalry going and Yankees weren't buying championships yet. Ahhh, the days of being perennial contenders....

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:34 pm

Damasa Garcia was my favourite player, and his name was my first words as a kid - believe it or not. My favourite non-game related memory was meeting Lance Parrish in the mid 90's while sitting on the bench with the team before a game against the Red Sox. Other than the 2 WS championships, which are obviously right up there, one of my favourite memories was watching Roy Halladay's perfect game that would have been if Felipe Crespo hadn't bobbled a ground ball at second base. Todd Stottlemyer diving face-first into third base is also a funny memory :-D And I was at the game when Roberto Alomar's consecutive errorless-game streak ended (I'm pretty sure it was the same game that I got to sit on the bench during BP against Boston). And after Cal Ripken's consecutive game streak ended, his next game was in Toronto, and I was there as well and got him to sign 2 baseballs. And also, I was at the first Toronto-Montreal baseball game. Wow, so many memories.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:43 pm

How about the not so great moments.

Like the Robbie Alomar spit incident and the Todd Stottlemyer message to the mayor of Philadelphia?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:55 pm

Roberto Kelly breaking up Dave Stieb's no hitter against the Yankees, with 2 out in the 9th inning. Same thing happened to David Cone against Texas, when Benji Gil broke up his no-hitter. I was at the game the next day and Gil fell into the stands trying to catch a fly ball, right next to where I was sitting, and he got heckled like he's never been heckled before. But I'm sure he liked, it's the only event in his mundane career that anybody actually cares about.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:46 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:How about the not so great moments.

Like the Robbie Alomar spit incident and the Todd Stottlemyer message to the mayor of Philadelphia?

I thought Todd's comments were classic. I wish I was taping it!!

And Robbie's spitting incident was as an Oriole. So it's not a BJ memory.

As for good Jays memories I can't believe no one has mentioned the greatest memory of all. Joe Carter blasting the series winning homer in '93. It's only happened twice and we all got to see one for our home team. Now thats a memory. Maybe it was too obvious but I loved.

Another good memory is when after many close calls Stieb finally got his no hitter. I was listening to it with my Dad and his friend in his garage while we worked on a car. Great memories!!

On to funny ones, Lloyd Moseby calling the people of Toronto cardboard, and calling skydome a cardboard box. Funny stuff.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Toronto Blue Jays