Best Trades - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Trades

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best Trades

Postby Matt » Fri May 10, 2002 6:09 pm

What are some of the best trades that you all have seen, or even pulled off yourself, in your leagues?

So far I have traded
Jason Giambi and Gagne for V Guerrero(first week..who knew?)
Wickman for Kent and Matt Anderson
Burnett for Green
Matt

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Sun May 12, 2002 7:40 pm

A long time ago, I traded a package including the red-hot Derek Bell for a guy called Sosa... Oh well, I guess I shouldn't feel too guilty, since I've pulled any number of boneheaded trades myself.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mm92280 » Mon May 13, 2002 1:43 am

well, before the beginning of the season last year, I traded Bruce Chen and 2 assorted players for Kerry Wood, who was coming off a mediocre season after returning from Tommy John surgery, and a young unproven lefty for Oakland, Barry Zito. Needless to say, Zito and Wood played well for me last season.
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mktgteach » Mon May 13, 2002 6:56 pm

Does anyone else get frustrated when they are offered a ridiculous trade?

I just got offered this. Is it just me that is confused why this was offered.

I was offered

Ken Griffey Jr. (DL, but yes he is almost back)
Pudge (Rumors are surgery which means year is over)
Suppan (KC pitcher....yikes!)

for

Piazza
Batista
Beckett

What in the world is he thinking?

I'm out! ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Me too!

Postby timkell » Mon May 13, 2002 7:38 pm

Yes! I hate when I get offered dumb trades. I don't even want to negotiate when I get offered something ridiculous.

I was asked if I wanted to trade away Matt Morris and Albert Pujols in exchange for Eric Chavez and Corey Lidle. Why would I do this?

Another spin on the bad trade offer: the attempted hoodwink! The day after Wade Miller got hurt, his owner offered to trade him to me in exchange for Matt Morris. That's just not right at all to even attempt something like that.

This is the same guy that pulled that bs trade this weekend: He pulled Woody Williams off the waiver wire, then immediately traded him and Brandon Duckworth for Jermaine Dye.

Every league has at least one guy like this!
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Mon May 13, 2002 7:49 pm

Interesting offers... :-P

I usually try not to be offended by outrageous initial offers, and see if they might actually lead to a reasonable deal. Besides, it's not always easy to tell whether the offering owner is new to the game and just learning the ropes - no need to be offended by a beginner, and you might be able to offer some good advice and heighten that person's enthusiasm for fantasy baseball as a whole. Ok, usually it's just would-be sharks making those offers, but you never know...

Offers like the one timkell mentioned - offering a recently injured player in the hope the other team hasn't heard about it yet - really make me see red, though. That sort of thing is pretty low. In my primary keeper league, one of our criteria for protesting trades is that, when injured players are involved, the receiving team must state that they are aware of the injury - otherwise protests can be filed. We haven't actually had any hoodwink attempts of this sort, fortunately, but I think this is a nice rule to have.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nkeitt » Mon May 13, 2002 9:19 pm

I like the idea of full disclosure regarding injuries. I wasn't hoodwinked (well not in that way, though I think I definitely made a bad decision) when I traded Bret Boone for Wade Miller (I already had Alomar for 2B from the draft), but that deal has definitely made me take notice of health issues.

So far my best trade would have to be giving Nomar to get Berkman, especially since I have Rollins at SS (yes, I drafted a serious infield - I've got Helton at 1B and Nevin at 3B).

You know, I think Arlo's approach may be the best one - treat every ridiculous offer as though it is from a newbie. That way if they are new then you're helping them enjoy the game more, and if they're not then you have the pleasure of patronizing them!

Peace,

NK
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon May 13, 2002 11:26 pm

While we're discussing bad trades, I just wanted to vent about somebody who offered me.... Moises Alou for Odalis Perez. And this wasn't pre-season, it was last week.

Okay, a .150 hitter for a 1.50 ERA pitcher... what's wrong with this picture? Even assuming that Alou recovers from his injury and still can hit... a big assumption, to say the least... what makes him think that I need another has-been outfielder with only decent power and below-average speed more than I need a phenom pitcher who's shown nothing but studliness so far this season?

And then, once I refused it, he went and offered again. Like maybe I just didn't notice how good of a trade it was.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Return to Baseball Leftovers