Garett Atkins: Slow Start or Bust? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Garett Atkins: Slow Start or Bust?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby fezzik » Fri May 11, 2007 6:09 pm

The Guru wrote:So where are all the people that had him ranked ahead of Aramis Ramirez? ;-7

He had 1 good year and it was mostly due to his batting average, there was basically no reason why people had him ranked so high coming into this year. He'll end up with about 20 Hrs by years end but you could get a WW 3rd basemen that can do that.

Count me in that group...I drafted them back to back with consecutive picks (somehow they fell to picks 40 and 41), and proceeded to package A-Ram in order to get Berkman after A-Ram's inital hot start.

I still think Atkins will end up better than A-Ram...plus I got Berkman now...if Atkins is still average in mid-June, then I'll think about making a move. His value right now is too low to do anything but ride him out anyway...but like I said, I still think he'll turn it around. Go Garett! :-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri May 11, 2007 6:10 pm

The Guru wrote:So where are all the people that had him ranked ahead of Aramis Ramirez? ;-7

He had 1 good year and it was mostly due to his batting average, there was basically no reason why people had him ranked so high coming into this year. He'll end up with about 20 Hrs by years end but you could get a WW 3rd basemen that can do that.

I agree. I pretty much said the same thing and I wanted to see Atkins repeat his power numbers before I paid for it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Guru » Fri May 11, 2007 6:16 pm

angels7777 wrote:well M-Cab only hit like 26 last year so I guess you find a WW prospect to take his place as well :-]

M-Cab has had a high avg for many years in a row now; thats a nice track record you can count on.

Atkins has no such MLB track record.
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Guru » Fri May 11, 2007 6:19 pm

TurdFerguson wrote:

Dumb statement...It was Atkins first full season in the majors last year and its on May for crying out loud.A-Ram is exactly tearing the cover off the ball.
You must be a bitter Atkins owner.

All of atkins value comes from his batting avg. To think he will have a high avg again this year based on 1 year is DUMB; he hit .287 in 05. To think he will be a top 3 or 4 3rd basemen is DUMB. What I wrote is is not dumb but the truth.

Atkins needs to show that the 29 hrs he hit last year where real, before he can be considered ahead of a proven hitter like A. Ramirez. Coming up through the minors he was only projected to be a 20 Hr hitter.

If he puts up the same numbers as last year then he is worth where people are drafting him in 08, but not this year. Not looking so good for him so far.

Atkins is similiar to Cano. All of his value based on 1 year and batting avg. I stayed far away from both.
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lbbaseball14 » Fri May 11, 2007 7:08 pm

I'm sorry but I think that even if Atkins hits 20 homeruns, he will still hit close to 300 or above. Hes a very good hitter and I am giving him more time. I also think its way to early to start celebrating that you stayed away from both Cano and Atkins, I think both are very good major league hitters and will heat up in a matter of weeks.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby angels7777 » Fri May 11, 2007 8:03 pm

Cano hits deep in the lineup so even if he gets on base I wouldn't expect Doug M. to drive him in very often so stay away... Atkins has potential to break out, but I am staying away until I see some kind of life from his bat...
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)

Postby cordscords » Fri May 11, 2007 8:30 pm

It's a slow start.

When it's all said and done he will have a batting average hovering around .300, 20-25 HR, and healthy RBI and R totals.

Stay patient, and buy low ;-D
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Fri May 11, 2007 8:39 pm

cordscords wrote:It's a slow start.

When it's all said and done he will have a batting average hovering around .300, 20-25 HR, and healthy RBI and R totals.

Stay patient, and buy low ;-D

Being a 3B, his bustiness :-b is really dependent on how healthy those totals are. At the start of the year I thought he'd be a bust relative to ADP since a first saw him go so early. Not a major one, but a guy I didn't really come close to getting on any of my teams due to how early he went.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby acsguitar » Sat May 12, 2007 1:54 am

Day off tonight and then lined out in a pinch hit appearance again
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Dr Evil » Sun May 13, 2007 1:09 pm

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Garrett Atkins, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :-t :-t

To the bench with ya. I'm pickin up Kent and sliding Upton over to third. This is pitiful...my hopes were so high :-[
Dr Evil
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers