Can you change the rules once the season has started? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Can you change the rules once the season has started?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can you change the rules once the season has started?

Postby clubstub » Tue May 08, 2007 8:55 pm

We have an owner who has found a loop hole in the rules and is currently exploiting the league. He was not at the draft so he had someone draft for him. This is an auction league. He drafted Santana and then the rest of his starters were prospects that are currently not on a major league roster. They are in his starting line up every week. We have to start 5 starters. Every week he automatically wins ERA, WHIP and Loses. Several owners think that this is unfair. I agree but we do not have anything in the rules regarding a limit of innings pitched. So he is playing within the rules. Several owners want me to change the rules to institute a minumum amount of IP. I said no because we can't change the rules once the league has started. What do you think?
clubstub
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TonyCee » Tue May 08, 2007 10:12 pm

I agree, you can't change rules during the season. Good luck with that sticky situation. :-{
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby talan37 » Wed May 09, 2007 11:05 am

I agree that changing the rules should be avoided at all costs. But if its going to potentially destroy the league for the rest of the season it might be the only option? How many pitching cats are there? Is it h2h or rotis? In h2h he should by no means win whip/era every week(although likely Losses), and depending on what your other categories are... wins, ip, k's, saves, etc he will automatically lose those every week... I don't really see this as an advantage but it really does depending on your scoring.

If you have to start 5 starters every week, deliberately taking minor leaguers who won't start seems like blatant exploitation of a grey area in the rules which I don't believe in. Depending on how the rules are written and interpreted he may not be starting 5 starters etc...
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Head to head league

Postby clubstub » Wed May 09, 2007 12:05 pm

It is a head to head league with 14 teams. The pitching categories are W,L, ERA, WHIP, S, QS and K's. He should win L, ERA, WHIp everyweek.
clubstub
T-Ball Trainer

Postby talan37 » Wed May 09, 2007 12:53 pm

I don't really think its all that great... he automatically loses 4 categories every week with a basic guarantee of winning 2(whip/L), and Any week where santana doesn't have a good outting, IE. his starts on 4/13,4/24 where he posted a 5.14era, and on 4/29 where he posted a 4.5 era he should lose era. Thats 50% of the time he would have lost era, so in the average matchup he will get 2.5points out of a possible 7. With a maximum of 3 points. Honestly I would love to have a matchup against a guy like that, should be an easy win nearly every time. So while I maintain my original view that it is somewhat exploitative of a grey area in the rules, its in my opinion a great recipe for losing. Punting 1-2 categories in h2h is doable.... but punting 4? not so much imo.
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby ABA316 » Wed May 09, 2007 4:06 pm

Only way I could in good conscience change a rule midway as commish is a UNANIMOUS vote of all other owners. A league I ran someone suggested changing prize money from $80-$20 to winner take all. I would only do it by unanimous vote of the other 4 participants to approve, which did happen.

This strategy you speak of, while a loophole, doesn't completely do him any favors either to punt several cat's each week as well..and while something that should be dealt with in following seasons, should not be altered this time.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Azzurri17 » Sun May 13, 2007 9:39 pm

Only change the rule if all the owners agree to it. If not, the rule stays and address it next year before the draft.
Azzurri17
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Knights » Sun May 13, 2007 11:48 pm

I agree with most that the only way to change the rule now is by unanimous vote... otherwise that;s too bad and it gets dealt with next season.
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 28)

Postby RowdyRed » Mon May 14, 2007 9:49 pm

Agree with everyone else....should put a min IP in there, but there is really no guarantee on WHIP or ERA if Santana gets beat up pretty good. Now, his hitting is probably good because the SP is so bad, so he may be able to sneak a league victory. It doesn't really work out super for him, though.
RowdyRed
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner