Intentional Walk Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Intentional Walk Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Intentional Walk Question

Postby byfrcp » Tue May 08, 2007 5:49 pm

If bringing your hand to your mouth while on the mound counts as a ball, why don't pitchers just go to their mouths 4 times to put a batter on base when they are asked to intentionally walk someone? It will save them 4 pitches from their pitch count, and in this day and age of pitch counts 4 pitches could mean being able to finish out an inning or not.

Is there a rule that I'm missing that doesn't allow this or not?
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Intentional Walk Question

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 08, 2007 5:51 pm

byfrcp wrote:If bringing your hand to your mouth while on the mound counts as a ball, why don't pitchers just go to their mouths 4 times to put a batter on base when they are asked to intentionally walk someone? It will save them 4 pitches from their pitch count, and in this day and age of pitch counts 4 pitches could mean being able to finish out an inning or not.

Is there a rule that I'm missing that doesn't allow this or not?

Ha thats a pretty awesome suggestion.

Although if a mans on base is it a balk? Is it only when they are on the rubber or on the mound?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue May 08, 2007 5:56 pm

I would think you get warned for it and it might save 4 in the pitch count but it's the same as throwing a ball the pitcher didn't like back to the ump so throwing those 4 balls isn't that big of a deal.

I can see where it might come into play if a guy has 98 pitches instead of 94 which determines whether he goes back out or not (which is totally stupid IMO, but probably happens).
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 08, 2007 6:06 pm

And the official answer:

The pitcher shall not --
(a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber. EXCEPTION: Provided it is agreed to by both managers, the umpire prior to the start of a game played in cold weather, may permit the pitcher to blow on his hand.
PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball. However, if the pitch is made and a batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a hit batsman or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation. Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby byfrcp » Tue May 08, 2007 6:10 pm

acsguitar wrote:And the official answer:

The pitcher shall not --
(a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber. EXCEPTION: Provided it is agreed to by both managers, the umpire prior to the start of a game played in cold weather, may permit the pitcher to blow on his hand.
PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball. However, if the pitch is made and a batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a hit batsman or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation. Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president.

Good enough for me ;-D
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers