Its about damn time!
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AllStar215 » Mon May 07, 2007 4:31 pm

asadrew wrote:unfortunetly rookies in baseball dont have a chance to impact their teams immediately like they do in basketball and football. Outside a few names, most players will spend years in the minors before they make it to the bigs so those players you watched get drafted are soon forgotten except by the diehards. While I think it's great that this draft is televised I wouldnt go out of my way to watch it. As long as they dont follow football and start it at 9AM pst on a SATURDAY, maybe i'll watch it.

i agree...rookies in baseball dont have a chance to impact their teams out the gate...
AllStar215
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SweetAurillia » Mon May 07, 2007 5:12 pm

I don't expect the MLB draft to come anywhere close to the NBA and NFL drafts in ratings because college baseball isn't as big as basketball or football. Until college baseball earns some primetime tv slots for the general public to even hear some names of college and high school baseball players, I'm doubting anyone but the hardcore baseball fanatic would care to watch the draft. That and the reason already mentioned that baseball rookies don't have an instant impact, I think it takes away some of the excitement of watching it as well knowing you probably won't see that player in a big league uniform for a couple of years, if at all. I for one don't follow college sports but because of its general hype and popularity of basketball and football even I was aware of names such as LaMarcus Russell and Greg Oden but I can honestly say I have no idea who is prospected to be the a #1 pick in the MLB draft.
[i]For tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today[/i]
SweetAurillia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigZ38 » Mon May 07, 2007 5:30 pm

Will the top kids be at the draft and come up and get Jerseys and hats?

Can't wait for that day.

Oh to see Rick Porcello sweat as he drops like Brady Quinn.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby thedude » Mon May 07, 2007 6:00 pm

Previously the draft was just a confrence call. I assume that they must now create some kind of dog and pony show for the cameras. They are going to have to draw the first round picks out to give Law, Gammons, et al some time to comment.

Who knows this is how the NFL draft started out, maybe 10 years from now it will be like the NFL draft.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 07, 2007 6:06 pm

As much as I love baseball, there's pretty much no way I'd sit down and watch the draft. :-°
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby CheeseBeger » Mon May 07, 2007 6:12 pm

Because they are showing just the first round (all I would really want to watch) this could be mildly sucessfull for them.

A good way for the general public to learn about the top college/high school players and see some video of them play.

Of course it will never approach NFL/NBA status but it could still draw a decent amount of viewers.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Old_Style » Mon May 07, 2007 6:13 pm

It's got to be better than airing the NHL draft. (Not sure if it's still broadcasted on TV.)
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Mon May 07, 2007 6:14 pm

Or maybe it'll turn out like the NBA lottery show format, which is hilariously outdated and funny to watch as some sort of live TV anachronism.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Archduke Chocula » Mon May 07, 2007 6:31 pm

Part of the drama in the NFL and NBA Drafts is that picks can be traded. MLB needs to allow for that to get people to watch the draft.
Don't tase me, bro.
Archduke Chocula
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers