MLB Teams Lying to Media About Injuries - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB Teams Lying to Media About Injuries

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed May 09, 2007 10:59 am

YardBirds wrote:If you are going to lie, then just don't say anything at all.

if the team says nothing you can infer its bad news, in which case saying nothing is saying a lot.

i dont like the lies, but there isnt really another way around it. if walt jocketty thinks he can sniff out a better deal telling people carp is feeling good then he should do it. if ned yost thinks telling the media corey hart is fine when he is actually injured will help out the team he should say that. i am not sure they are really fooling anyone, but if there is a chance it would work they should do it.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lordrevolution » Wed May 09, 2007 11:07 am

Madison wrote:It's a conspiracy against fantasy baseball players! }:-) ;-7

:-b

Actually, kinda on topic, but you'd think MLB would embrace fantasy players and do things to try to help us and make us happy (Name a closer! True injury reports! Etc.), like the NFL has done with fantasy football. Stupid Selig. :-t

:-b

Do you actually play fantasy football? I think Tom Brady spent the entire season listed on the injury report despite playing every game and practicing every week. It's more of a load then baseball by far.
Lordrevolution
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lordrevolution » Wed May 09, 2007 11:13 am

Yoda wrote:
wrveres wrote:
Yoda wrote:I think deceiving the hand that feeds you is not the best way to go about your business.

but you still drop that .50cents for a paper?

No. I read all that crap online for free. But I guess my time counts as money. :-D

Advertising on the website is the money.
Lordrevolution
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mikhayl » Wed May 09, 2007 11:27 am

bleach168 wrote:It doesn't help them win games so much as it helps them sell season tickets.

That's the beginning and the end of it. If your team looks more competitive, you will be more inclined to buy season tickets.

It also helps with individual ticket sales.

Opposing teams like it because they can sell tickets to fans who want to plan ahead and see out of town stars.

Home teams like it because they can sell advance tickets on the notion that they will be competitive or that their superstar will be in the lineup that day.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StlSluggers » Wed May 09, 2007 3:41 pm

Boy, oh boy. ESPN has their panties in a bunch. They are turning this week into "MLB Is a Bunch of Liars" week. Kinda sound like angry ex-girlfriends, don't they?

Link

Hell hath no fury, right? :-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Wed May 09, 2007 3:47 pm

ESPN has become unwatchable lately.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Wed May 09, 2007 3:47 pm

StlSluggers wrote:Boy, oh boy. ESPN has their panties in a bunch. They are turning this week into "MLB Teams Are Liars" week.

Link

Hell hath no fury, right? Image

thats still one of my favorites.

Johnson, a rising managerial star in Toronto, has spent years inspiring players with tales of his service in Vietnam. The stories are vivid in their imagery, with references to gunfire exchanges and minefields and the horrors of combat up close.

Trouble is, the accounts are completely untrue. Although Johnson spent six years in the Marine Corps teaching mortar technology to recruits on their way to Southeast Asia, he never saw combat duty in Vietnam.

When the lies come to light, Johnson apologizes and says he's seeking counseling. He also apologizes for inaccuracies in his Blue Jays biography -- which includes a reference to his days as an All-America high school basketball player and a fictional offer to play hoops at UCLA.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers