Oswalt for Pujols - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Oswalt for Pujols

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Sun May 13, 2007 6:30 pm

The first mistake is having trades subject to commisioner review. If the commish is in the league, that in and of itself is a conflict of interest in and of itself.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12812
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby QuincyPondexter » Sun May 13, 2007 7:35 pm

I don't think you should veto the trade just because in your opinion one person is getting the better end of the deal. That takes all the fun out of roto in my opinion if the commisioner/other players won't let you manage you team how you see fit. If the guy doesn't want Pujols on his team and would rather have Oswalt, let him.
QuincyPondexter
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 32
Joined: 20 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BRoyFanClub » Sun May 13, 2007 8:35 pm

yo quincy,

i expect big things out of you next season.... go dawgs!
BRoyFanClub
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 82
Joined: 3 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RowdyRed » Sun May 13, 2007 9:33 pm

I agree with most people that I would not have vetoed it, but what I would have done if I were you, was reject the trade, and offer Oswalt and one more solid player for Pujols. Then the deal looks more fair, and it would probably not get vetoed, and you'd have Pujols. Sounds good all around to me! Cheers!
RowdyRed
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1743
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby toledomudhens » Mon May 14, 2007 10:25 am

there was a trade in my league not to long ago that left me scratching my head. the one thing you have to realize in these money leagues is that the veto is there only to prevent collusion or player dumping... its not for owners to decide that a team is getting ripped off so i'll veto that trade. as much as i hate saying that it's the truth. this guy in my league traded utley and c.lee for hanley, verlander and kearns. my first reaction was what the $%#@ right, the worst part about that was i got home at 3 in the morning pissed to the gill. i did want to veto that deal, but realized that, no there was no collusion or player dumping but 1 team having a severe man crush on hanley and not really realizing what he was giving up, dumb fantasy players...now because of this foolishness in this league i wont be back to play next year in this league. i don't play with people who have absolutly no idea of the concequences of trades like that, he only replies that"this trade benifits both teams" and i rest my case with that statement.so i guess what i am saying is that you can't veto a trade because you don't like the deal, or you think the deal is one sided, you have to let teams run them the way they want.... my reaction to that is, don't let guys that know nothing into money leagues, there are lots of FUN FREE leagues for them to 'DO WHAT THEY WANT WITH THERE TEAM".
Image
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 901
(Past Year: 201)
Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JPE » Mon May 14, 2007 10:40 pm

i think i just keep all the money and skip town. the wsop is coming up next month. just joking i going to give him delgado and oswalt for pujols. thaks for the help guys.
It puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose.
JPE Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 15
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 16, 2007 2:44 am

If I was in your league and people were upset, but no one was able to talk sense into you, I would give serious thought to dropping all of my players and never playing with you again.


All that proves is that I wouldn't want to be playing a league with you. Will dropping all of your players make you feel better at night??
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby prricci » Wed May 16, 2007 12:26 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:
JPE wrote:If I had a voting process for my team I would never be able to trade. That's is why Im the commish. I know the teams in the league will abuse thier power. I used to have a voting process for all trades and eveyone alway voted to veto no matter what. Now, both of you said that you would vote to veto but neither one of you explained why. Is it because the trade is not fair, you don't wanna play a team with Pujols and Santana, or you would want to make an offer on Pujols as soon as the trade is vetoed?


Yeah, it's because it's a horribly lopsided trade. No one in their right mind would trade Pujols straight up for Oswalt and it would ruin the league for everybody if you made the trade.

Now you would hide behind your commissioner power and say tough luck to the rest of your league?

If I was in your league and people were upset, but no one was able to talk sense into you, I would give serious thought to dropping all of my players and never playing with you again.

I know it sounds harsh, but Pujols for Oswalt should not go through in any league. If you conduct a league vote, at least you cover your butt, but you still compromise the league's legitimacy.

You say you are commish because you know people in the league would abuse their power if you let them vote?

I say if you don't let them vote you are EGREGIOUSLY abusing your own autocratic power.

No offense, but I'd have a hard time ever playing in a league with you again if you let that trade through.


I'm on the other side of the coin...I don't think I could ever play in a league with you...the way I see it, who are you to say what trades I can or cannot make?

You need to let people make their own decisions and run their team as they deem fit - if they want to trade Pujols for Oswalt then fine. There is clearly no collusion here, and it isn't even out of the realm of possibility that Oswalt may prove to be more valuable this year. He is a legit ace.

How would you feel if the team that would have acquired Oswalt would have won the league because it would have strengthened his pitching and he might have an adequate backup for Pujols...

These are adults here...who are you to say what deals they can or cannot make for their own team...


I agree with you...I am glad I am not in a league with CBM. This is a bit extreme. Although, I agree I would like to have the Pujols side of the deal, Oswalt is no slouch and if the commish is telling the truth, then it was an arms length deal with no collusion or roster dumping, so why veto it.

I do however, agree that you have to accept the trade and if other managers complain (which it sounds like they did) then you post a message to the league letting them know the facts...that this was offered to you and have the other manager backup the facts and ask for a vote. But reminding them that it is really an underhanded move to veto your trade and then offer up the likes of Halliday who I believe is on the DL...b/c that should be vetoed if they are vetoing your trade.

This is a sticky situation, to which, I am probably going to get myself into a bit as I am commish and was offered Konerko for Duncan (who I just picked up of the WW). The difference here is my league votes. In this case the person has been trying to dump konerko on me b/c he does not like him and konerko is slumping similar to your situation. I love taking advantage of rash managers who freak early in the season, but is this cheating? NO.

This is FB and the fun of building a roster is drafting, WW pickups and trading.

Drafting is a one time event, so throughout the season WW and trades are all you have. If people start to complain about trades made in good faith then it becomes boring.

Hell, if MLB was like that the Yanks and Sox might not ever get a trade passed.
prricci
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 398
Joined: 14 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed May 16, 2007 1:13 pm

prricci wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:
JPE wrote:If I had a voting process for my team I would never be able to trade. That's is why Im the commish. I know the teams in the league will abuse thier power. I used to have a voting process for all trades and eveyone alway voted to veto no matter what. Now, both of you said that you would vote to veto but neither one of you explained why. Is it because the trade is not fair, you don't wanna play a team with Pujols and Santana, or you would want to make an offer on Pujols as soon as the trade is vetoed?


Yeah, it's because it's a horribly lopsided trade. No one in their right mind would trade Pujols straight up for Oswalt and it would ruin the league for everybody if you made the trade.

Now you would hide behind your commissioner power and say tough luck to the rest of your league?

If I was in your league and people were upset, but no one was able to talk sense into you, I would give serious thought to dropping all of my players and never playing with you again.

I know it sounds harsh, but Pujols for Oswalt should not go through in any league. If you conduct a league vote, at least you cover your butt, but you still compromise the league's legitimacy.

You say you are commish because you know people in the league would abuse their power if you let them vote?

I say if you don't let them vote you are EGREGIOUSLY abusing your own autocratic power.

No offense, but I'd have a hard time ever playing in a league with you again if you let that trade through.


I'm on the other side of the coin...I don't think I could ever play in a league with you...the way I see it, who are you to say what trades I can or cannot make?

You need to let people make their own decisions and run their team as they deem fit - if they want to trade Pujols for Oswalt then fine. There is clearly no collusion here, and it isn't even out of the realm of possibility that Oswalt may prove to be more valuable this year. He is a legit ace.

How would you feel if the team that would have acquired Oswalt would have won the league because it would have strengthened his pitching and he might have an adequate backup for Pujols...

These are adults here...who are you to say what deals they can or cannot make for their own team...


I agree with you...I am glad I am not in a league with CBM. This is a bit extreme. Although, I agree I would like to have the Pujols side of the deal, Oswalt is no slouch and if the commish is telling the truth, then it was an arms length deal with no collusion or roster dumping, so why veto it.

I do however, agree that you have to accept the trade and if other managers complain (which it sounds like they did) then you post a message to the league letting them know the facts...that this was offered to you and have the other manager backup the facts and ask for a vote. But reminding them that it is really an underhanded move to veto your trade and then offer up the likes of Halliday who I believe is on the DL...b/c that should be vetoed if they are vetoing your trade.

This is a sticky situation, to which, I am probably going to get myself into a bit as I am commish and was offered Konerko for Duncan (who I just picked up of the WW). The difference here is my league votes. In this case the person has been trying to dump konerko on me b/c he does not like him and konerko is slumping similar to your situation. I love taking advantage of rash managers who freak early in the season, but is this cheating? NO.

This is FB and the fun of building a roster is drafting, WW pickups and trading.

Drafting is a one time event, so throughout the season WW and trades are all you have. If people start to complain about trades made in good faith then it becomes boring.

Hell, if MLB was like that the Yanks and Sox might not ever get a trade passed.


Some of you are getting ridiculous. The fantasy world is no place for a corrupt commish. If my commish is making lopsided trades and then saying:

"I have control over vetoes and I am not even going to allow you to vote on this deal. The deal goes through, tough noogies."

Then there is something seriously wrong.

It has happened to me before, and it's a horrible situation. That's when I'd threaten drop my players.

If you people honestly don't think you could play in a league with me, it's because that point is somehow lost on you.

I don't understand it, but if you want to continue to subject yourself to the possibility that a commissioner could tyrannically stack his team in such a way, feel free to continue be sheep.

There's only one thing you can do to a commissioner who refuses to listen to his league's complaining and that is drop your players.

It's a last resort, but must be done in extreme cases.

Not allowing so much as a vote on this trade is an extreme case.

Oswalt for Pujols isn't the worst trade I've ever seen, but it's still bad. If it weren't the commissioner who was getting Pujols then this situation would be TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

Once it was said and done, as long as the commissioner showed himself to be civilized and at least considered the league's opinion, I wouldn't have dropped my players, but if he did what most clowns on yahoo do it would look more like this:

"What it's totally fair? He proposed that trade to me! I'm not gonna veto it because you're jealous! The trade helps both teams! All deals are final!"

If you haven't run into such a commissioner as would say the things above, then you are luckier than I am.

Again, it would never be an issue if the commissioner didn't have sole discretion over vetoes, but in this case he does, and he's getting Pujols at a stupid discount.

So fine, don't play in a league with me, play with a jerkoff commish who doesn't listen to his league instead.

Some people around here are really dense :-°

Edit: I'm not saying thread starter is that jerkoff commish, I was just illustrating to him that if he was considering not dealing with the league's complaints that this is what he should expect to be an appropriate response. It was all a hypothetical in the first place that was misinterpreted because of poor context.

If you look at the passage of his that I quoted in my very first response:

"If I had a voting process for my team I would never be able to trade. That's is why Im the commish. I know the teams in the league will abuse thier power. I used to have a voting process for all trades and eveyone alway voted to veto no matter what. Now, both of you said that you would vote to veto but neither one of you explained why. Is it because the trade is not fair, you don't wanna play a team with Pujols and Santana, or you would want to make an offer on Pujols as soon as the trade is vetoed?"

This looked like maybe it was going to be a precursor to him justifying not allowing the league to vote. Does it not look that way to you?

Do you think not allowing the league to vote would have been appropriate in this case? And if not, exactly how inappropriate would it have been?

You think these rogue commissioners don't exist?

Check out this thread:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=286158
Last edited by CBMGreatOne on Wed May 16, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3166
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed May 16, 2007 1:55 pm

Lol, I just remembered. The thread starter (commish in this trade) called me the "N" word earlier in this thread. It was just already deleted by mods by the time most of you read it.

Yeah, you don't want to play in a league with me, play in one with him.

:-b
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3166
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Minnesota at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Miami at Atlanta
(7:35 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Chi Cubs at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Colorado at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Oakland at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Washington at Seattle
(10:10 pm)
Milwaukee at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact