Oswalt for Pujols - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Oswalt for Pujols

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Oswalt for Pujols

Postby JPE » Tue May 08, 2007 1:57 pm

I'm the Commissioner of a 10 team league for $$. I was just offered Pujols for Oswalt. How can I say no to that? I've been runnig fantasy leagues (baseball and football) for 6 years now and I only vetoed 1 trade and that was because collusion was involved. I know that this is a one sided trade but collusion is not involved. The guy just doesn't like Puljols. Now if I wasn't the commish I would accept the offer and as the commsih I would not veto the trade if another team was making this deal. The problem is that I have Santana and now I would Pujols too boot (nice!!) everyone is going to be pissed and say that is unfair trade that it can't go through. Then someone will offer a little better deal and I won't get Pujols. Is trade too lop sided and should I accept it under the circumstances I'm in? Thanks in advance for your help.
It puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose.
JPE Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 15
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue May 08, 2007 2:33 pm

This is why you should have a league voting veto system because obviously you are mired in a deep conflict of interest. You should conduct a league vote on all trades involving your own team. Let the league decide what happens.

I would personally vote to veto, but that's just one opinion. If you don't let the league decide, you might not get anybody playing with you next year.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3166
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue May 08, 2007 3:37 pm

I think you have to accept it, and take a league vote for whether or not it should go through. I would personally vote to veto, but that's just me.
Image

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3542
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JPE » Wed May 09, 2007 9:27 am

If I had a voting process for my team I would never be able to trade. That's is why Im the commish. I know the teams in the league will abuse thier power. I used to have a voting process for all trades and eveyone alway voted to veto no matter what. Now, both of you said that you would vote to veto but neither one of you explained why. Is it because the trade is not fair, you don't wanna play a team with Pujols and Santana, or you would want to make an offer on Pujols as soon as the trade is vetoed?
It puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose.
JPE Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 15
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed May 09, 2007 11:59 am

JPE wrote:If I had a voting process for my team I would never be able to trade. That's is why Im the commish. I know the teams in the league will abuse thier power. I used to have a voting process for all trades and eveyone alway voted to veto no matter what. Now, both of you said that you would vote to veto but neither one of you explained why. Is it because the trade is not fair, you don't wanna play a team with Pujols and Santana, or you would want to make an offer on Pujols as soon as the trade is vetoed?


Yeah, it's because it's a horribly lopsided trade. No one in their right mind would trade Pujols straight up for Oswalt and it would ruin the league for everybody if you made the trade.

Now you would hide behind your commissioner power and say tough luck to the rest of your league?

If I was in your league and people were upset, but no one was able to talk sense into you, I would give serious thought to dropping all of my players and never playing with you again.

I know it sounds harsh, but Pujols for Oswalt should not go through in any league. If you conduct a league vote, at least you cover your butt, but you still compromise the league's legitimacy.

You say you are commish because you know people in the league would abuse their power if you let them vote?

I say if you don't let them vote you are EGREGIOUSLY abusing your own autocratic power.

No offense, but I'd have a hard time ever playing in a league with you again if you let that trade through.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3166
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Sat May 12, 2007 10:42 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:
JPE wrote:If I had a voting process for my team I would never be able to trade. That's is why Im the commish. I know the teams in the league will abuse thier power. I used to have a voting process for all trades and eveyone alway voted to veto no matter what. Now, both of you said that you would vote to veto but neither one of you explained why. Is it because the trade is not fair, you don't wanna play a team with Pujols and Santana, or you would want to make an offer on Pujols as soon as the trade is vetoed?


Yeah, it's because it's a horribly lopsided trade. No one in their right mind would trade Pujols straight up for Oswalt and it would ruin the league for everybody if you made the trade.

Now you would hide behind your commissioner power and say tough luck to the rest of your league?

If I was in your league and people were upset, but no one was able to talk sense into you, I would give serious thought to dropping all of my players and never playing with you again.

I know it sounds harsh, but Pujols for Oswalt should not go through in any league. If you conduct a league vote, at least you cover your butt, but you still compromise the league's legitimacy.

You say you are commish because you know people in the league would abuse their power if you let them vote?

I say if you don't let them vote you are EGREGIOUSLY abusing your own autocratic power.

No offense, but I'd have a hard time ever playing in a league with you again if you let that trade through.


I'm on the other side of the coin...I don't think I could ever play in a league with you...the way I see it, who are you to say what trades I can or cannot make?

You need to let people make their own decisions and run their team as they deem fit - if they want to trade Pujols for Oswalt then fine. There is clearly no collusion here, and it isn't even out of the realm of possibility that Oswalt may prove to be more valuable this year. He is a legit ace.

How would you feel if the team that would have acquired Oswalt would have won the league because it would have strengthened his pitching and he might have an adequate backup for Pujols...

These are adults here...who are you to say what deals they can or cannot make for their own team...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12812
(Past Year: 9)
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun May 13, 2007 8:24 am

pokerplaya wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:
JPE wrote:If I had a voting process for my team I would never be able to trade. That's is why Im the commish. I know the teams in the league will abuse thier power. I used to have a voting process for all trades and eveyone alway voted to veto no matter what. Now, both of you said that you would vote to veto but neither one of you explained why. Is it because the trade is not fair, you don't wanna play a team with Pujols and Santana, or you would want to make an offer on Pujols as soon as the trade is vetoed?


Yeah, it's because it's a horribly lopsided trade. No one in their right mind would trade Pujols straight up for Oswalt and it would ruin the league for everybody if you made the trade.

Now you would hide behind your commissioner power and say tough luck to the rest of your league?

If I was in your league and people were upset, but no one was able to talk sense into you, I would give serious thought to dropping all of my players and never playing with you again.

I know it sounds harsh, but Pujols for Oswalt should not go through in any league. If you conduct a league vote, at least you cover your butt, but you still compromise the league's legitimacy.

You say you are commish because you know people in the league would abuse their power if you let them vote?

I say if you don't let them vote you are EGREGIOUSLY abusing your own autocratic power.

No offense, but I'd have a hard time ever playing in a league with you again if you let that trade through.


I'm on the other side of the coin...I don't think I could ever play in a league with you...the way I see it, who are you to say what trades I can or cannot make?

You need to let people make their own decisions and run their team as they deem fit - if they want to trade Pujols for Oswalt then fine. There is clearly no collusion here, and it isn't even out of the realm of possibility that Oswalt may prove to be more valuable this year. He is a legit ace.

How would you feel if the team that would have acquired Oswalt would have won the league because it would have strengthened his pitching and he might have an adequate backup for Pujols...

These are adults here...who are you to say what deals they can or cannot make for their own team...


Somebody missed the point...

Seriously, this guy is COMMISSIONER, and he has his trade vetoes set to COMMISSIONER review.

Do you not see the conflict of interest there?

And yeah, I'm going to tell somebody that they CAN'T trade Pujols for Oswalt, sue me. If you can't play in a league with me because of that, I don't know how you ever find a league to play in.

If this guy didn't let the league vote, and instead bullheadedly said "Tough luck everybody" he will have totally ruined his credibility.

If the league votes and they don't veto, so be it.

You can say this trade isn't vetoable, but what you said in your post is flat wrong.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3166
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Sun May 13, 2007 9:18 am

Pujols #1 overall fantasy player

Oswalt maybe top 20
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1790
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On the Golf Course

Postby JPE » Sun May 13, 2007 1:34 pm

So I accepted the trade and a few people in the league got upset so I reversed it. Now, not only is the guy with Pujols pissed, one of the teams that was complaining wants to trade Roy Holliday for Pujols. If this trade was proposed before my deal was shot down I would have upheld the trade and that would be that. Now I have to veto it, because it's pretty much the same deal as mine. Do you see now why I can't have a voting process? I would never be able to trade. I'm the only player in the league that does not live by doulbe standards and can be fair when my team is involved.

Whoever said that they would drop all thier players and not play in my league again is obviously a little kid. I would love for someone in my league to do that because they would be out $300 bucks. I'm just trying to be fair and it's hard when everyone acts likes a 3year old.
It puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose.
JPE Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 15
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun May 13, 2007 1:57 pm

JPE wrote:So I accepted the trade and a few people in the league got upset so I reversed it. Now, not only is the guy with Pujols pissed, one of the teams that was complaining wants to trade Roy Holliday for Pujols. If this trade was proposed before my deal was shot down I would have upheld the trade and that would be that. Now I have to veto it, because it's pretty much the same deal as mine. Do you see now why I can't have a voting process? I would never be able to trade. I'm the only player in the league that does not live by doulbe standards and can be fair when my team is involved.

Whoever said that they would drop all thier players and not play in my league again is obviously a little kid. I would love for someone in my league to do that because they would be out $300 bucks. I'm just trying to be fair and it's hard when everyone acts likes a 3year old.


I said that I would do that IF you did not allow the league to vote.

Aside from that, don't give me that complete nonsense. I'm like the freaking Socrates of fantasy baseball compared to you.

Roy Holliday?

I'm not even going to tell you your mistake... you can find out on your own, and in about 5 years, perhaps you'll be ready to get pulverized in my money league. !+)


As for the Pujols for Holliday/Halladay trade, it really doesn't matter which one you meant, that should be vetoed also. You are right in that it is basically the exact same trade that you just had vetoed.

I think everyone in the league is really just wondering why he isn't trading Pujols for Santana :-?

I've never been a Santana owner, but I can tell you right now, if I was one, I wouldn't consider anything but gleefully hitting the accept button if I saw that offer on the table.

The guy giving up Pujols just can't be that sincere in his intentions. It's that simple.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3166
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 5:09 hours
(and 96 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact