things you don't see in the box score - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

things you don't see in the box score

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 08, 2007 11:12 am

Troy Tuliowitski hit a HR last night that landed 3 feet past the wall and the umpires ruled it a double.

That doesn't show
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Bwanna » Tue May 08, 2007 11:18 am

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Victorino being an a-hole on Sunday night didn't show up in the box score.


No, but his sneaky, heads up baserunning did.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 5645
(Past Year: 272)
Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: things you don't see in the box score

Postby Bwanna » Tue May 08, 2007 11:21 am

Madison wrote:The Victorino thing was dumb too. Had he kept running the direction he was running when he ran into Vizquel, he'd have run to third and skipped second base. !+)


Dumb enough to allow him to cross home plate a few minutes later.

...

I don't get the weird Victorino hate flyin around for a really, really smart gamble on his part.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 5645
(Past Year: 272)
Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: things you don't see in the box score

Postby Madison » Tue May 08, 2007 11:48 am

Bwanna wrote:
Madison wrote:The Victorino thing was dumb too. Had he kept running the direction he was running when he ran into Vizquel, he'd have run to third and skipped second base. !+)


Dumb enough to allow him to cross home plate a few minutes later.

...

I don't get the weird Victorino hate flyin around for a really, really smart gamble on his part.


Where did I say anything about Victorino personally? :-? Read it again, I said "the Victorino thing was dumb". My thoughts are that he was out and should have been called out. The ump screwed up. That's not "hate" toward Victorino, even though the word "hate" sure does get thrown around way too much where it's meaning isn't even applicable. Had you said distaste for the way he tried to play the game, or something similar, I'd agree, as people don't generally accept what he tried to do (if he in fact did try to do that - I'm unsure). Play the game with honor and respect or get off the field. Simple as that for me. In Victorino's case, I saw the play several times and don't know if he intentionally caused the mess or not, so I have no opinion on that or on him personally. I believe the umpire messed up and he should have been called out though.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: things you don't see in the box score

Postby Yoda » Tue May 08, 2007 11:57 am

Madison wrote:
Bwanna wrote:
Madison wrote:The Victorino thing was dumb too. Had he kept running the direction he was running when he ran into Vizquel, he'd have run to third and skipped second base. !+)


Dumb enough to allow him to cross home plate a few minutes later.

...

I don't get the weird Victorino hate flyin around for a really, really smart gamble on his part.


Where did I say anything about Victorino personally? :-? Read it again, I said "the Victorino thing was dumb". My thoughts are that he was out and should have been called out. The ump screwed up. That's not "hate" toward Victorino, even though the word "hate" sure does get thrown around way too much where it's meaning isn't even applicable. Had you said distaste for the way he tried to play the game, or something similar, I'd agree, as people don't generally accept what he tried to do (if he in fact did try to do that - I'm unsure). Play the game with honor and respect or get off the field. Simple as that for me. In Victorino's case, I saw the play several times and don't know if he intentionally caused the mess or not, so I have no opinion on that or on him personally. I believe the umpire messed up and he should have been called out though.


I think Bwana is related to Victorino. He sure gets defensive.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby benjapage » Tue May 08, 2007 12:31 pm

is there a video of that victorino play?

wow, sorry for the hijack. sheesh.

um, er...i guess a lot of defense doesn't show up in the box score...and um, like in moneyball, a player's great defensive range can sometimes lead to more "official" errors because they're actually able to GET to the ball.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2767
Joined: 26 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Tue May 08, 2007 1:52 pm

Advancing runners on grounders or deep fly balls doens't show up in the box score.
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 1274
Joined: 12 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: things you don't see in the box score

Postby Bwanna » Tue May 08, 2007 1:52 pm

Yoda wrote:I think Bwana is related to Victorino. He sure gets defensive.

Haha... guess I'm just a little irritated at grief he's gotten over that.

benjapage wrote:is there a video of that victorino play?

Yeah, it's on this page...
http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/mu ... p?c_id=phi
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 5645
(Past Year: 272)
Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: things you don't see in the box score

Postby Bwanna » Tue May 08, 2007 2:34 pm

Madison wrote:
Bwanna wrote:
Madison wrote:The Victorino thing was dumb too. Had he kept running the direction he was running when he ran into Vizquel, he'd have run to third and skipped second base. !+)


Dumb enough to allow him to cross home plate a few minutes later.

...

I don't get the weird Victorino hate flyin around for a really, really smart gamble on his part.


Where did I say anything about Victorino personally? :-? Read it again, I said "the Victorino thing was dumb". My thoughts are that he was out and should have been called out. The ump screwed up. That's not "hate" toward Victorino, even though the word "hate" sure does get thrown around way too much where it's meaning isn't even applicable. Had you said distaste for the way he tried to play the game, or something similar, I'd agree, as people don't generally accept what he tried to do (if he in fact did try to do that - I'm unsure). Play the game with honor and respect or get off the field. Simple as that for me. In Victorino's case, I saw the play several times and don't know if he intentionally caused the mess or not, so I have no opinion on that or on him personally. I believe the umpire messed up and he should have been called out though.


My bad. I was lumping you in with all the other folks that were pissed at Victorino. You're right, if you're gonna be angry, be angry at the ump.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 5645
(Past Year: 272)
Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 08, 2007 2:42 pm

You don't generally see the score of the Knicks game in the box score. :-D

Amazing defensive plays, on a more serious note. ;-D
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24805
(Past Year: 376)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: datelin3, scarnicease and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Jul. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(4:05 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Arizona at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Diego at Atlanta
(7:35 pm)
Oakland at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(10:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact