Bets on Tom Gordon's role on return - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bets on Tom Gordon's role on return

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby YardBirds » Tue May 08, 2007 10:39 am

mikhayl wrote:He'll be joining the rotation.

Who Tom Gordon? That would be a "Charlie Manuel"esk move.

From now on when a manager makes a crazy, somewhat senile move, I'm now going to refer to it as "pulling a charlie".
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chipper » Tue May 08, 2007 11:37 am

YardBirds wrote:
chipper wrote:Gordon's skill level is a set up man, and that's where I feel he should return.

Spoken like a true Myers owner....

for a set-up guy... his closer numbers from last year are sorta confusing...

3 W, 34 SV, 3.34 ERA, 1.26 Whip, 10.31 K/9.... only 5 Blown...

:-t

Just making a blind retarded assumption huh? Yeah you got me!

What, I can't have the opinion that Gordon is better suited as a set up man and that Myers is the better option at closer without owning Myers?

Actually no, I don't own Myers, and I wish I did.

Myers has better stuff than Gordon, and having Gordon as a set up man allows Philly to give him proper and structured rest.

What? You own Gordon?
Ohhhhhh, spoken like a true Gordon owner.......derrrrrr ;-D
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby YardBirds » Tue May 08, 2007 11:49 am

Myers "stuff" is better suited for a starting spot genius. He may be a good closer, but thats like using a sledge hammer to kill an ant. Yea, it works, but its a complete and utter misalocation of an effective pitcher.
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby samjerky » Tue May 08, 2007 11:52 am

I'm actually really loving this. Someone dropped him in a Yahoo league and now I can get a save in my starting pitcher slot on off days. woohoo.
samjerky Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Tue May 08, 2007 12:12 pm

I think Gordon is going to be the set up man when he returns;This is just my opinion and it has nothing to do with Gordon's ability but with his health.Does an organization want to ask themselves daily"Is this guy going to be OK after throwing 25-30 pitches the previous night"? Can I bring this guy for the 3rd time in 4 days? As a Yankee fan ,I always admired that Gordon always wanted the ball but he's older now and a lot of miles on that arm/shoulder.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Texican » Tue May 08, 2007 2:23 pm

May 8
Ken Mandel, of Philadelphia.Phillies.MLB.com, reports Philadelphia Phillies CL Tom Gordon (shoulder) is scheduled to undergo an MRI Tuesday, May 8. Gordon is not expected to begin throwing until next week.
Texican
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chipper » Tue May 08, 2007 2:58 pm

YardBirds wrote:Myers "stuff" is better suited for a starting spot genius. He may be a good closer, but thats like using a sledge hammer to kill an ant. Yea, it works, but its a complete and utter misalocation of an effective pitcher.

You don't think I know Myers is better suited for a starting spot?

The question posed was..... IS/SHOULD Gordon remain at the closer spot when he comes back. And the answer is NO....Myers is a better option at closer than Gordon. Period.

They put Myers in the pen becasue it was a pressing need, and they have the starters to get by. If he's gonna be in the bullpen, and he's a better pitcher than Gordon (obvious), then he should be the closer. They wanted him there, so at least use him right.
Let old man Gordon set up. He's great for that role.

Having your set up guy be better than your closer is even more retarded than putting Myers in the bullpen in the first place.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers