Earned Runs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Earned Runs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Earned Runs

Postby BronxBomber2007 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:04 am

In the event of an error with 2 outs that would have ended the inning....can a pitcher be charged with runs that are scored after that error is committed? If so, can you explain? Thank you
BronxBomber2007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shmolex » Tue May 08, 2007 12:06 am

no
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LiveForever » Tue May 08, 2007 12:13 am

This happened to Lacky earlier this season. The catcher dropped a pop up with two outs that should have ended the inning. A couple of pitches later the hitter went deep. Unearned HR !+)
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronxBomber2007 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:34 am

Well this was in concern to Oliver Perez....there were two outs and back to back errors were committed that would have ended the inning....well this led to a jailbreak in which the Giants scored 7 runs....Well i noticed that he was credited with 6 earned runs for around 2 innings after this...but they have since changed it back to 2 earned runs. I thought I was right in that if an error extends an inning...the runs that are on base or thereafter dont count against a pitcher's era. thanks again
BronxBomber2007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:39 am

BronxBomber2007 wrote:Well this was in concern to Oliver Perez....there were two outs and back to back errors were committed that would have ended the inning....well this led to a jailbreak in which the Giants scored 7 runs....Well i noticed that he was credited with 6 earned runs for around 2 innings after this...but they have since changed it back to 2 earned runs. I thought I was right in that if an error extends an inning...the runs that are on base or thereafter dont count against a pitcher's era. thanks again

Were you looking on Yahoo? Sometimes they are a little slow in updating earned runs, compared to MLB GameDay or Sportsline scoring.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby ordinarygenius » Tue May 08, 2007 12:42 am

That's the utility of WHIP. If a pitcher gets shelled after an error extended an inning, ERA won't be affected but WHIP surely will.
ordinarygenius
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers