Brad Lidge.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Brad Lidge....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jfg » Wed May 09, 2007 7:31 pm

I agree with smokin aces. Lidge has no fantasy value if you have decent closers already. Especially if bench spots are limited. I'm not wasting a bench spot on a guy that has to not only get a closer job again but also prove he can still close. I play in some competitive leagues and he's a free agent in most. I can see wasting a bench spot on Pedro Martinez or if you were keeping Clemens on your bench that makes sense too. I see no benefit of having Lidge on your bench if there are guys out there who could actually be useful to you. Why not pick up a prospect, or better yet if you really are itching to carry a closer, pick up a guy who will step in during an injury like Jesse Crain, Scot Shields or Farnsworth.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stevekahuda » Wed May 09, 2007 7:52 pm

Deposed closers rarely (if ever) regain their jobs. Right now, I have a better chance of closing for the Astros.
stevekahuda
College Coach
College Coach

Postby uucrook3d » Thu May 10, 2007 7:55 am

stevekahuda wrote:Deposed closers rarely (if ever) regain their jobs. Right now, I have a better chance of closing for the Astros.

yeah except for the fact that lidge lost his job last year and got it back... if lidge was let go in my league he would quickly be picked up. he has pitched well over the past 2 or 3 weeks. he was flawless yesterday as a setup guy to wheeler. i am fine with him being a dominant set up man but if wheeler stumbles then back to the 9th lidge goes.
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu May 10, 2007 9:19 am

Lidge is good to have until he starts closing again. He will get some OPPs this season but don't hold your breath that he will hang onto the job.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby c0n0r » Thu May 10, 2007 11:01 am

smokin' Aces wrote:look at it this way if you dropped him for a better producer now you can keep pace with your league. why keep deadwood around until things change. i'm sure that he will not get picked up no matter what the cats r in your league. and if so you might actually find a better guy for now and the future depending on who. if not no big deal. so many people hold on to iffy's so long in fantasy and forget about the now. even in a keeper i'm sure you can find a higher upside for the future. i guess it comes down to how long are you willing to hang on to the past rather than live for the future?

I agree with Aces - I dropped Lidge in a 12 team competitive league, took a chance with Soriano and now have 3 additional saves because of it. Just got lucky, it could have just as easily backfired. Lidge is still a FA.

This forum is for someone to put in their 2 cents. After that do what you want with it. Take it or leave it.

Good Luck!
My team would have WON if they hadnt LOST
c0n0r
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby uucrook3d » Thu May 10, 2007 11:03 am

c0n0r wrote:
smokin' Aces wrote:look at it this way if you dropped him for a better producer now you can keep pace with your league. why keep deadwood around until things change. i'm sure that he will not get picked up no matter what the cats r in your league. and if so you might actually find a better guy for now and the future depending on who. if not no big deal. so many people hold on to iffy's so long in fantasy and forget about the now. even in a keeper i'm sure you can find a higher upside for the future. i guess it comes down to how long are you willing to hang on to the past rather than live for the future?

I agree with Aces - I dropped Lidge in a 12 team competitive league, took a chance with Soriano and now have 3 additional saves because of it. Just got lucky, it could have just as easily backfired. Lidge is still a FA.

This forum is for someone to put in their 2 cents. After that do what you want with it. Take it or leave it.

Good Luck!

i am in a 6 X 6 league with holds. soriano was drafted. the best reliever out there is fernando cabrera. i think it is smarter to just wait garner out bc you know he will change his mind and put lidge back in like he always does...
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Thu May 10, 2007 11:20 am

Lidge might be worth holding onto at this point if you are in a league that counts Holds. He should get some opportunities there either way, and if Wheeler stumbles, he could become a closer... I just decided to take a chance and pick him up for that reason.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates