Bobby Abreu and Robinson Cano are bad at baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bobby Abreu and Robinson Cano are bad at baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bobby Abreu and Robinson Cano are bad at baseball

Postby theultimate69 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:20 pm

I have both Yankees and they are really starting to frustrate me. I took Abreu because I thought of him as a pretty sure thing for 100 and 100, and he still runs occasionally. And obviously that lineup, batting third...

Now I took Cano relatively EARLY because he's one of my favorite players in the game, as I love his personality, his swing, his upside, all that, and how many guys do you see hitting .340 in their second season? Cano, however, is just really looking uncharacteristically bad at the plate lately, swinging at all kinds of garbage and missing badly. He's making my homerism/flyer 4th/5th round pick look really bad.

Anyone want to chime in on these guys?
theultimate69
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Mon May 07, 2007 9:27 pm

Abreu's looking better.

He's hit well recently.

Cano still looks awful.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby IVIisfits138 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:29 pm

Personally I wasn't expecting Cano to compete for the batting title this season. However Abreu is still a lock for 100 runs 100 rbi.
Do Work
IVIisfits138
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jbauer2485 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:30 pm

Abreu is in a bad slump, but appears to be coming out of it. A lot of line drives lately and some hits.

Cano is in for a down year unless he can stop swinging at EVERY pitch. He looks really lazy in the box, I'm sure all the Rod Carew talk has gotten to his head.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Bobby Abreu and Robinson Cano are bad at baseball

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:33 pm

theultimate69 wrote:Now I took Cano relatively EARLY because he's one of my favorite players in the game, as I love his personality, his swing, his upside, all that, and how many guys do you see hitting .340 in their second season? Cano, however, is just really looking uncharacteristically bad at the plate lately, swinging at all kinds of garbage and missing badly. He's making my homerism/flyer 4th/5th round pick look really bad.

Well, I'll admit I've haven't watched Cano too much, but is him swinging at everything really new? He had a pretty poor .365 OBP last year given that he hit .342 (18 BB all season), and his 3.22 P/PA was dead last amongst MLB 2B that had a qualifying # of PA, and 4th worst amongst all qualifying players. Like I said, I've haven't watched him much, but that all paints the picture of a bigtime free-swinger. So, my thoughts are that he'll flucuate up and down statistically with that poor approach. I personally don't think he's hitting .342 again, but he could approach .300. He was definitely on my avoid list to start the season.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jbauer2485 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:38 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:
theultimate69 wrote:Now I took Cano relatively EARLY because he's one of my favorite players in the game, as I love his personality, his swing, his upside, all that, and how many guys do you see hitting .340 in their second season? Cano, however, is just really looking uncharacteristically bad at the plate lately, swinging at all kinds of garbage and missing badly. He's making my homerism/flyer 4th/5th round pick look really bad.

Well, I'll admit I've haven't watched Cano too much, but is him swinging at everything really new? He had a pretty poor .365 OBP last year given that he hit .342 (18 BB all season), and his 3.22 P/PA was dead last amongst MLB 2B that had a qualifying # of PA, and 4th worst amongst all qualifying players. Like I said, I've haven't watched him much, but that all paints the picture of a bigtime free-swinger. So, my thoughts are that he'll flucuate up and down statistically with that poor approach. I personally don't think he's hitting .342 again, but he could approach .300. He was definitely on my avoid list to start the season.

Swinging at everything is not new at all. How many walks did he have last year, 10? I can't remember but it was low. Hitting .340 put him in the spotlight and the league caught up this year. I haven't seen anyone actually throw him a strike yet.

First two pitches are bad and he fouls them off usually. Third pitch is either a high fastball that he can't lay off of or something in the dirt. If he doesn't make an out on pitch three, they've got 3 more balls to give.

He needs some serious work.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Scooter1027 » Tue May 08, 2007 1:41 am

jbauer2485 wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:

Swinging at everything is not new at all. How many walks did he have last year, 10? I can't remember but it was low. Hitting .340 put him in the spotlight and the league caught up this year. I haven't seen anyone actually throw him a strike yet.

First two pitches are bad and he fouls them off usually. Third pitch is either a high fastball that he can't lay off of or something in the dirt. If he doesn't make an out on pitch three, they've got 3 more balls to give.

If you read my post, you'll see he walked 18 times :-)

And yes, it does seem like he needs to work on discipline. Hopefully for him that will come with experience.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jbauer2485 » Tue May 08, 2007 7:54 am

Scooter1027 wrote:
jbauer2485 wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:

If you read my post, you'll see he walked 18 times :-)

And yes, it does seem like he needs to work on discipline. Hopefully for him that will come with experience.

The number of walks was so small I missed it. ;-7
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby YardBirds » Tue May 08, 2007 8:02 am

Being moved in the lineup also took some of the protection that he was getting last year. Pitchers last year were more inclined to throw to him, then ARod and Co behind him, but now batting so low, they aren't throwing him nice fat pitches down the pipes anymore.
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Tue May 08, 2007 8:15 am

He was extremely lucky with hit rate last year, you shouldn't have expected him to hit anywhere near .340 this year. Whats really bothersome is the lack of power on the season.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers