Career: Jim Thome vs Sammy Sosa - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Career: Jim Thome vs Sammy Sosa

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 08, 2007 2:09 am

HOOTIE wrote:Sosa has a MVP and 60+ hrs, which will be on the voters minds.

His MVP was a load of garbage that season, too. He had more RBI than McGwire, and thassaboutit. McGwire had a higher, OBP (by 100 points), SLG (by 100 pts), over twice as many walks, but he did score 4 less runs, bat 9 points lower, and drive 11 less guys in. OPS+ 217 to 160 in favor of Mac. Bleh.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigboy1234 » Tue May 08, 2007 8:33 am

bceagles04 wrote:Steroids aside, from 1998-2001 Sosa had one of the best 4 year stretches by a hitter in the history of the game. If not the best.
That being said, I like Thome much more than Sosa. So I'll take Thome

I'm not here to make fun of anyone but that is the most rediculous statements ever. Hell you didn't even put in one of his better years in 2002. Also thats not even close to one of the best 4 year streches. Just recently Bonds would absolutely kill Sammy's 4 years, Frank Thomas was extremely better. Pujols and Manny could be argued better. Bagwell and McGwire were better hitters, hell Giambi 1999-2002 was just as good if not better hitter. Thats just talking about players recently not any of the all time greats.

All that being said Sosa had four very good years and one phenominal year. That phenominal year in 2001, Thome would/will never be that good. But Thome had more above average years in my opinion. Very close, but I give the slight edge to Sosa, but I could change my mind.
bigboy1234
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Eagle Eye

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue May 08, 2007 9:10 am

bigboy1234 wrote:
bceagles04 wrote:Steroids aside, from 1998-2001 Sosa had one of the best 4 year stretches by a hitter in the history of the game. If not the best.

I'm not here to make fun of anyone but that is the most rediculous statements ever. Hell you didn't even put in one of his better years in 2002. Also thats not even close to one of the best 4 year streches. Just recently Bonds would absolutely kill Sammy's 4 years, Frank Thomas was extremely better. Pujols and Manny could be argued better. Bagwell and McGwire were better hitters, hell Giambi 1999-2002 was just as good if not better hitter. Thats just talking about players recently not any of the all time greats.

No one you mentioned hit over 60 home runs 3 out of 4 years. That had never been done before, and hasn't been repeated since. If that's not enough for one of the best spans in history, I don't know what is. Obviously home runs are not the only thing that matters but I think you're greatly undervaluing them considering the names you're throwing out.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Tue May 08, 2007 9:35 am

I hate to say it but I'd take Sosa.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby bigboy1234 » Tue May 08, 2007 11:18 am

teddy ballgame wrote:
bigboy1234 wrote:

No one you mentioned hit over 60 home runs 3 out of 4 years. That had never been done before, and hasn't been repeated since. If that's not enough for one of the best spans in history, I don't know what is. Obviously home runs are not the only thing that matters but I think you're greatly undervaluing them considering the names you're throwing out.

Go look up the stat EQA and get back to me. When 2 of those 4 years Sosa has an OBP of .367 and .377 that is nothing impressive.
bigboy1234
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Eagle Eye

Postby Ender » Tue May 08, 2007 2:19 pm

Thome without a doubt.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby J35J » Tue May 08, 2007 2:26 pm

The Cow wrote:I will just say that Sosa is considered by most to be a HOFer and Thome he is borderline or at least he has more work to do. Me I say both are HOFers. Shoe ins, and more deserving than Ripken or Gwynn IMO.

The Cow

8-o 8-o 8-o
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers