Julio Mateo suspended for beating up his wife - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Julio Mateo suspended for beating up his wife

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Julio Mateo suspended for beating up his wife

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon May 07, 2007 5:03 pm

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/m ... teo07.html

Mateo in court on assault charge
By Geoff Baker

Seattle Times staff reporter

NEW YORK — A night in jail is just the beginning of the troubles facing Mariners relief pitcher Julio Mateo.

The 29-year-old spent Saturday night in custody, then was formally arraigned in court on a third-degree assault charge Sunday afternoon in Manhattan Criminal Court. He was released on $3,000 bail and will have to reappear in court on June 15.

Mateo is charged with assaulting his wife, Aurea, in their hotel room in midtown Manhattan sometime before 2:30 a.m. on Saturday. Edison Alban, a spokesman for the Manhattan District Attorney's Office, said Sunday that Mateo's wife received a black eye, five stitches on her lip from being bitten and was also choked by her attacker.

The maximum penalty for assault in the third degree, a Class A misdemeanor, is up to a year in jail. But some defendants don't serve any jail time, depending on their prior record and other factors.

"The sentencing guidelines all depend on the judge," Alban said.

The Mariners announced Sunday that they had suspended Mateo for 10 days without pay for missing Saturday's game in New York without permission. The team had already optioned Mateo to Class AAA Tacoma in order to clear roster room to add another pitcher.

Mateo was not at the hotel when police responded to a call early Saturday morning. But he spoke later that morning with Mariners manager Mike Hargrove.

"I know that I spoke with him yesterday morning on the phone," said Hargrove, who urged Mateo to contact the authorities.

Hargrove wouldn't say who initiated the phone conversation. Mateo spent most of Saturday arranging legal representation, hiring New York-based lawyer Jim Koenig before turning himself in to police at the NYPD's Midtown North precinct.

He was questioned and processed for several hours and later booked and fingerprinted. Police then transferred him to a holding cell at the Manhattan Criminal Court building until his 12:20 p.m. arraignment on Sunday.

The Mariners have referred all queries about the matter to Mateo's lawyer and his agent, Martin Arburua. Neither returned any telephone calls on Sunday.

Hargrove said he doesn't plan to talk to his players in a bid to keep Mateo's situation from becoming a clubhouse distraction.

"I think it's natural that guys are going to be concerned," Hargrove said. "We're going about our business. I don't know that there's any way you can address that. I mean, it is what it is. We'll just move on."
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 261)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon May 07, 2007 5:06 pm

sorry poor taste ... Pretty brutal what he did to her :-t
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby sportsaddict » Mon May 07, 2007 5:33 pm

Kick him out of the league and throw him in jail. What an idiot, this guy's the scum of the earth. Any guy who beats up defenseless women is pathetic in my book.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Mon May 07, 2007 6:30 pm

sportsaddict wrote:Kick him out of the league and throw him in jail. What an idiot, this guy's the scum of the earth. Any guy who beats up defenseless women is pathetic in my book.

I agree what he did was despicable, and he should be punished by the law, and probably by the league.

But I am guessing your feelings of "kick him out of the league" also holds true for Brett Myers and Julio Lugo, just to name a few known beaters.?

edit: .. What about the guy in your sig that endangered the lives of everybody on the road within a 1/2 mile radius of him on that fateful night?
Last edited by wrveres on Mon May 07, 2007 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby godallahstar » Mon May 07, 2007 6:48 pm

wrveres wrote:edit: .. What about the guy in your sig that endangered the lives of everybody on the road within a 1/2 mile radius of him, on that fateful night?

pretty much!
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Mon May 07, 2007 6:49 pm

godallahstar wrote:
wrveres wrote:edit: .. What about the guy in your sig that endangered the lives of everybody on the road within a 1/2 mile radius of him, on that fateful night?

pretty much!

Um is that Elijah Dukes in that AV hahahahah the hypocrisy continues :-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby godallahstar » Mon May 07, 2007 6:52 pm

yes,
though it's all less comparable than you think.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Mon May 07, 2007 6:55 pm

godallahstar wrote:yes,
though it's all less comparable than you think.

I'm just laughing at it cause its funny.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers