Keeper Team Help - WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Keeper Team Help - WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Team Help - WHIR

Postby bigshoww82 » Mon May 07, 2007 4:43 pm

what can i do to upgrade this team?? heres my team in a 10 team yahoo h2h league with 6 keepers. mostly typical scoring with the addition of OBP, SLG for hitters and IP, K/BB for pitchers.

C Russell Martin (LAD - C)
1B David Ortiz (Bos - 1B)
2B Orlando Hudson (Ari - 2B)
3B BJ Upton (TB - 2B,3B)
SS JJ Hardy (Mil - SS)
OF Vladimir Guerrero (LAA - OF)
OF Kelly Johnson (Atl - 2B,OF)
OF Shane Victorino (Phi - OF)
Util Jeff Francoeur (Atl - OF)
Util Nick Swisher (Oak - 1B,OF)
BN Nick Markakis (Bal - OF)
BN Chone Figgins (LAA - 2B,3B,OF)

SP Jake Peavy (SD - SP)
SP Daisuke Matsuzaka (Bos - SP)
SP Jeremy Bonderman (Det - SP)
RP Akinori Otsuka (Tex - RP)
RP Salomón Torres (Pit - RP)
P Chad Cordero (Was - RP)
P James Shields (TB - SP)
P Andy Pettitte (NYY - SP)
BN Daniel Cabrera (Bal - SP)
BN Erik Bedard (Bal - SP)
BN Mike Mussina (NYY - SP)
DL Félix Hernández (Sea - SP) DL
bigshoww82
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bigball » Mon May 07, 2007 5:06 pm

You team is solid - I would look to upgrade in the SV area.
All three closers are fine but they play for weak teams and may not have many opportunities to close.
You have some nice SP - I would shop 1 of them around to find a suitor.
You may also look to move Victorino - he is hot now and might get you top value.

if you have the chance.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=283207
its the biggest no brainer in the history of earth....
Bigball
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nutjobs » Mon May 07, 2007 5:09 pm

First off i would definitely start markakis or figgins ahead of hudson. Secondly I would try to acquire a top tier closer. Cordero and Torres have looked shaky so far and Otsuka is always going to be behind Gange as long as he is healthy and getting paid 6 million. Otherwise your team looks very solid.

help me out if you have the time
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 35#2282035
nutjobs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Vladiator » Mon May 07, 2007 10:38 pm

My first thought is that you have quite a team, but could use an elite closer. I'm sure you know that Otsuka and Torres' job security is shaky at best. I would try moving one (or both) of them, plus Mussina, Pettite, Cabrera, Shields (just keep going up the list until someone bites) for something along the likes of Papelbon, Nathan, Wagner, etc. Also, I don't know how you feel about Brett Myers, but I was patient enough to hang onto him, and I am VERY happy with the results. No way Gordon gets his job back now, IMO. He definitely has the skills to be the next Papelbon, and you may be able to get him for much less. Just something to consider.

In addition - and you might not feel that what I'm about to suggest is ethical - you can try this strategy: if you don't know most of the others in your league already, try bullshitting with them (email, league board, etc.) and figure out who their favorite teams are. This has been a tremendous advantage in trades for me thus far, since I've found that most people are willing to overpay for one of "their guys". Chances are you have some of these on your roster.

I think the consensus on my latest dilemma has already been reached, but feel free to chip in if you want.
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2283154#2283154
Vladiator
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigshoww82 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:22 am

should i accept this trade offer: f. cordero and willingham for figgins, pettitte, otsuka?

this will help my closer situation some, but is it too much to lose?
bigshoww82
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shoelessjoetara » Tue May 08, 2007 12:36 am

I would look for another closer . Also look for another SS. Hardy may not keep up this good.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=283414
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CruiseJD » Tue May 08, 2007 11:11 am

I agree with other posters. Pretty solid team, a little shaky at the closer position. You've got some excess depth at 2B so maybe look at packaging a 2B for a closer.
CruiseJD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby testing » Tue May 08, 2007 12:18 pm

CruiseJD wrote:I agree with other posters. Pretty solid team, a little shaky at the closer position. You've got some excess depth at 2B so maybe look at packaging a 2B for a closer.

i totally agree with everyone and especially the post above. i wish i could offer more insight but frankly everyone hit your biggest need on the head. i wouldnt spend too much on a closer though, there are a couple, that you have and owen from fla seems hot at the moment, that could keep you up there good enough in saves to give you a run for the title, as long as you keep producing in the other cats.

WHIR - http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=283527
improving.
testing
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RyeWhiskey » Tue May 08, 2007 12:32 pm

These past results seem too simplistic. Never is a fantasy baseball team's problems as simple as one position, or one statistic. There are always areas for improvement and things to tweak (but don't go overboard here - patience is still a virtue).
Here are my suggestions on hitting (then pitching):
1) Be wary of Upton and Hardy as steady producers. These are guys I would look to trade (in conjunction with others) for an upgrade at their respective positions.
2) Victorino and Johnson are hot, but probably won't maintain. See the above point for what to do here. The up-side of these guys is that you have the OF depth (Francoeur, Swisher, Markakis) to trade them for a RP/SS/3B while maintaining your OF strength.
3) So, in conclusion for hitting: look to deal Upton, Hardy, Johnson, and Victorino. You can start Figgins (when he heats up) at either 3B or SS, and you can pop Francoeur/Swisher/Markakis in your OF spots.

Pitching:
1) Top 3 starters are great - solid staff (4 if you count Felix on the DL). Bottom 5 are iffy. Look to upgrade here.
2) Closers = iffy. You are certainly in need of a more solid producer here, or you can run with the maxim of "don't overpay for top closers and work with what you can get." But, given your trading ability (see hitters to trade, and bottom 5 SPs, and your current closers) you probably could work something out.

In conclusion,
Look to trade the hitters mentioned, and the pitchers mentioned, for upgrades at your weak points.

Monkey
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby boston_massacre » Tue May 08, 2007 4:15 pm

I agree that you need to work on saves.

I think you should try to sell high on K. Johnson and packing him with someone else for a closer.

Other than that I think it's a pretty good team.
such is life
boston_massacre
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team