Having Holds guys on same team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Having Holds guys on same team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Having Holds guys on same team

Postby spark0901 » Mon May 07, 2007 3:32 pm

Is this a strategically poor move? Holds are unlike saves in that multiple relievers can get them in a game. So how much of a disadvantage would I have if both of my holds guys were from the same team. Obviously if the team lost, I would have no chance of getting a hold for that evening if I only had two, but if the team was good, then this might not be that bad of an arrangement, right?
spark0901
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon May 07, 2007 3:33 pm

It really matters what type of league it is.

A Roto league/Points league would be fine with that
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 07, 2007 4:43 pm

I'm of limited knowledge on saves, but IIRC, our resident holds 'expert' GoToWarMissAgnes has said that two pitchers on the same team should not have an adverse effect on each others' hold totals. I believe the debate was last season when Scott Eyre and Bobby Howry were both on the Cubs, and people were wondering in pre-season about them each losing value due to one another.

In short, I'd look at it about the same as I would if the two pitchers were on different teams. How good they are is the main contributing factor. ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon May 07, 2007 10:07 pm

Yeah, there's no problem with taking two guys on the same team. Holds are very much team/manager dependent, so picking two from a team like the Angels or Cards can be a good idea.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby KOSTAS » Mon May 07, 2007 11:05 pm

if it's a team that:

A wins alot

B uses their bullpen well

C both guys are quality

sure why not!

Works great for me with the Twins Bullpen where I have Crain and Rincon.
KOSTAS
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue May 08, 2007 2:34 am

It really depends on a few factors, the most obvious of which is the skill of the pitcher.
Beyond that, be aware of the manager's tendencies and target guys who get used in a consistent fashion.
Last season I had both Zumaya and Rodney, and it worked out pretty well.
Back in the day when Houston went Lidge-Dotel-Wagner (very often and very effectively), that may have been the best dual-setup situation in fantasy history.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bigwords » Tue May 08, 2007 9:09 am

I don't think there's much of a problem with picking guys on the same team. However, in general, middle relief guys who pitch the 8th inning get more holds than middle relief guys who pitch the 7th (Justin Speier is the only exception off the top of my head). If you have two middle relief guys on the same team, chances are that only one of them is pitching the 8th.

Also, I see it written here, and I've seen it written before that holds guys come from teams that win A LOT. I'm sorry, but that's just not true. The league leader in holds thus far is Matt Capps. Tied for second is Manual Corpas (on last place Colorado), Brandon Lyon (on fourth place Arizona), Mike MacDougal (on fourth place Chicago), Hideki Okajima (ok, first), Jon Rauch (Washington, 'nuff said), Speier and Turnbow.

Getting a hold is all about first, manager trust, and second, good skill set, and third, right opportunity. I'd focus on the first and second part by zeroing in on the best quality relievers, regardless of the team they play on. They are the ones who are going to be asked to shut down the opposing team during a late, tight pre-9th inning game.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers