Don't get gas May 15th! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Don't get gas May 15th!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby knapplc » Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 am

Mookie4ever wrote:How about this for a concept. A gas station that only sells American gas. No foreign oil.

Would you pay an extra $0.30 per gallon for American gas?

Very interesting idea, Mookie. I wonder how well that would go over. I'm betting not all that well, but you never know.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Wed May 16, 2007 10:30 am

Mookie4ever wrote:How about this for a concept. A gas station that only sells American gas. No foreign oil.

We don't verify other products are "Made in America" before we buy them, why would we care about gas? Much less care enough to pay .30 extra per gallon when most Americans already feel oil companies are making too much profit?
Last edited by josebach on Wed May 16, 2007 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Wed May 16, 2007 10:32 am

josebach wrote:

We don't verify other products are "Made in America" before we buy them, why would we care about gas?

Most people don't do that. My wife's family is big on it.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby josebach » Wed May 16, 2007 10:39 am

StlSluggers wrote:
josebach wrote:

We don't verify other products are "Made in America" before we buy them, why would we care about gas?

If an American product is better, I'll buy it. If it's not, I won't. There's got to be motivation for America to make better products and that motivation comes from competition abroad. Not only that, but half the products made here have components made elsewhere anyway. GMC is an American company right? Why do they build trucks in Mexico, then? Honda is Japanese, right? A majority of Hondas sold in this country are made in America by Americans.

If someone tells me they try to buy nothing but American, my first thought is that they're naive. I personally feel the company that makes the best product for the price deserves my business, regardless of nationality or race.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Wed May 16, 2007 10:42 am

josebach wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
josebach wrote:

If an American product is better, I'll buy it. If it's not, I won't. There's got to be motivation for America to make better products and that motivation comes from competition abroad. Not only that, but half the products made here have components made elsewhere anyway. GMC is an American company right? Why do they build trucks in Mexico, then? Honda is Japanese, right? A majority of Hondas sold in this country are made in America by Americans.

If someone tells me they try to buy nothing but American, my first thought is that they're naive.

I agree, but try explaining that logic to a union family that lost their jobs to overseas outsourcing.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby josebach » Wed May 16, 2007 10:45 am

StlSluggers wrote:
josebach wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
josebach wrote:

If someone tells me they try to buy nothing but American, my first thought is that they're naive.

I agree, but try explaining that logic to a union family that lost their jobs to overseas outsourcing.

Were their jobs for an American company? If so, why would they try to only buy American then? :-? Logic seems flawed.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed May 16, 2007 10:49 am

I Michael Moore's old television show, the name of which I can't remember, he did an episode where he ran a gas station for a day. He charged like $0.25 less than all the other stations in town, but told everyone that the money from all of the gas sold would go directly to Saddam Hussein (I'm not sure exactly when this aired, but it was before Hussein's death, obviously) and his regine. There were lines around the block all day long, and almost to a person, every customer they interviewed said something along the lines of "well, I don't support Saddam Hussein and I know he is a bad guy, etc...but a deal is a deal. I don't make enough money to pass this up."

If a gas station sold only US gas and charged considerably more for it, very few people would buy their gas there. For most of the population (those without a lot of disposable income) price is the number one factor.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Wed May 16, 2007 10:51 am

josebach wrote:Were their jobs for an American company? If so, why would they try to only buy American then? :-? Logic seems flawed.

Yes, and it makes perfect sense if you look at it from their perspective. They think that they lost their jobs because their union bosses told them that people would rather buy cheaper, foreign products. They don't want others Americans to lose their jobs, so they buy American.

The flaw in their logic is in why they lost their jobs. They lost their jobs because their union leaders didn't offer enough incentives to keep their labor rates competitive with the foreign labor rates (plus shipping, of course).

But you can't explain that to them. They won't listen. They'd rather believe that this country is betraying itself.
Last edited by StlSluggers on Wed May 16, 2007 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 16, 2007 10:51 am

Art Vandelay wrote:I Michael Moore's old television show, the name of which I can't remember, he did an episode where he ran a gas station for a day. He charged like $0.25 less than all the other stations in town, but told everyone that the money from all of the gas sold would go directly to Saddam Hussein (I'm not sure exactly when this aired, but it was before Hussein's death, obviously) and his regine. There were lines around the block all day long, and almost to a person, every customer they interviewed said something along the lines of "well, I don't support Saddam Hussein and I know he is a bad guy, etc...but a deal is a deal. I don't make enough money to pass this up."

If a gas station sold only US gas and charged considerably more for it, very few people would buy their gas there. For most of the population (those without a lot of disposable income) price is the number one factor.

pretty sure it's called "The Awful Truth"
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed May 16, 2007 11:32 am

Not sure if it was mentioned but if were are to boycott a gas company it should be all citgo's because Hugo Chavez owns all of them.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk