Don't get gas May 15th! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Don't get gas May 15th!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RugbyD » Wed May 16, 2007 11:47 am

StlSluggers wrote:
josebach wrote:Were their jobs for an American company? If so, why would they try to only buy American then? :-? Logic seems flawed.

Yes, and it makes perfect sense if you look at it from their perspective. They think that they lost their jobs because their union bosses told them that people would rather buy cheaper, foreign products. They don't want others Americans to lose their jobs, so they buy American.

The flaw in their logic is in why they lost their jobs. They lost their jobs because their union leaders didn't offer enough incentives to keep their labor rates competitive with the foreign labor rates (plus shipping, of course).

But you can't explain that to them. They won't listen. They'd rather believe that this country is betraying itself.

I'll toss some blame on management being too stupid or lazy to think about a world where they aren't #1-3. They gave in to insane concepts like the jobs bank and massive pensions and benefits because it was the path of least resistance and viable at the time, all else equal.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed May 16, 2007 3:08 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:How about this for a concept. A gas station that only sells American gas. No foreign oil.

Would you pay an extra $0.30 per gallon for American gas?

What's to stop the companies from just sticking a sign in the window suggesting they use American gas when they really are not, and yet they still bump the price 30 cents a gallon?

Who trusts gas companies?

I sure don't. Prices are crazy for no reason other than the huge profits they are making because they know they have us bent over a barrel (literally). Crazy prices inside the stores have always been that way, and generally accepted since no one's going to be hurt if they don't want to pay $2 for a soda, or $5 for a bag of chips, but when they start robbing people for no reason on the things they have to have in order to survive (unfortunately for now, gas falls into that category), then that should tell you the level of scum that's running the industry. Should they make a profit? Absolutely, everyone's in business to make money, so I'm not against that or anything. But when record profits are being broken for zero reason other than to pad their pockets and because they can screw everyone, I don't trust them in the least.

Heck, they are even shorting everyone at the pumps with the temperature of the gas. Read about it before and it was posted here somewhere, but even saw a news story on it a couple of days ago.

So who on Earth would actually trust a gas company? :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Galt » Wed May 16, 2007 4:40 pm

Because that would be illegal, and the FTC would research their claims, fine them, and likely revoke their license if they were defrauding the population.

I think some people should do the world a favor and not breathe oxygen for one day a year.
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Wed May 16, 2007 5:35 pm

Galt wrote:Because that would be illegal, and the FTC would research their claims, fine them, and likely revoke their license if they were defrauding the population.

What's illegal about a station putting a sign in the window that says: "Buy American!" and then raising prices 30 cents? Both are things the station could legally do.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to General Talk