Get ready for $4 gasoline - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Get ready for $4 gasoline

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 07, 2007 3:59 pm

Oil companies should be thankful our government doesn't tax their product more like foreign countries.

Our govt needs to do more to promote alternative fuel sources. We've been saying that for how long now?
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Mon May 07, 2007 4:06 pm

bleach168 wrote:Our govt needs to do more to promote alternative fuel sources...

...that aren't weather-based. This ethanol stuff is nice as a supplement, but we're going overboard with it. Who wants to be depedent on a weather-based fuel source? I'd rather take my chances with the Arabs, thank you.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby RugbyD » Mon May 07, 2007 4:07 pm

bleach168 wrote:Oil companies should be thankful our government doesn't tax their product more like foreign countries.

What's there to be thankful for? That a country founded on freedom and the rule of law operates according to freedom and the rule lof law (notwithstanding the commieish ramblings about windfall profit taxes)? That reminds me of the Chris Rock bit about people bragging about taking care of their kids. The govt is supposed to mind their own business and protect priavte property rights and shouldn't be thanked for it.
Last edited by RugbyD on Mon May 07, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Mon May 07, 2007 4:08 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
bleach168 wrote:Our govt needs to do more to promote alternative fuel sources...

...that aren't weather-based. This ethanol stuff is nice as a supplement, but we're going overboard with it. Who wants to be depedent on a weather-based fuel source? I'd rather take my chances with the Arabs, thank you.

:-?

When is the last time the corn didn't grow?
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RugbyD » Mon May 07, 2007 4:09 pm

knapplc wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

droughts happen
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Mon May 07, 2007 4:09 pm

knapplc wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

The question is: Do you want to be depending on it the next time is doesn't grow?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby knapplc » Mon May 07, 2007 4:18 pm

RugbyD wrote:
knapplc wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

droughts happen

Never heard of irrigation? Nebraska, one of America's largest corn-producing states, has been in drought conditions for the past five years. But thanks to irrigation and the lessons learned in the 1930s we haven't had any reduction in production.

Droughts happen? Yeah they do. Terrorists happen, too, and many of them happen to live pretty darned close to the main source of oil. Which would you rather be concerned about?

Not that I'm advocating ethanol as a replacement for gasoline - Earth simply doesn't have enough land to produce both food and the fuel we need. It's a supplement to oil-based fuels, that's all.

I advocate producing cars with MUCH greater fuel economy than are currently available on the market, and I advocate doing that NOW. We have the intelligence and resources, just not the motivation.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Splendid61 » Mon May 07, 2007 4:33 pm

I don't mind high gas prices if they lead to less traffic on the road. There's nothing I hate more than traffic.
Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon May 07, 2007 4:34 pm

ive heard ethanol based gases dont get anything in terms of mpg. how much is that true?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 07, 2007 4:45 pm

RugbyD wrote:
bleach168 wrote:Oil companies should be thankful our government doesn't tax their product more like foreign countries.

What's there to be thankful for? That a country founded on freedom and the rule of law operates according to freedom and the rule lof law (notwithstanding the commieish ramblings about windfall profit taxes)? That reminds me of the Chris Rock bit about people bragging about taking care of their kids. The govt is supposed to mind their own business and protect priavte property rights and shouldn't be thanked for it.

That's a generalized argument against any form of taxes. You want low taxes, fine. But how come it's only low for oil companies and not for the rest of us? There's the imbalance they should be thankful for.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk