Postby knapplc » Mon May 07, 2007 1:44 pm

Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 07, 2007 1:50 pm

Field wrote:I'm more worried about how $4 gas will lead to even greater levels of inflation. You won't see the Fed lowering interest rates anytime soon if that happens.

OT a bit but there's a fantastic history of prices since the Medieval Era called 'The Great Wave' that explains how spikes in fuel prices have 'led' each spike in inflation since that time and, in turn, have led to wars, cannabalism, drug use and all sorts of other ills. It sounds a bit far fetched but it is a pretty breezy read and summarizes a lot of pretty dense histories of prices in one 200 some odd page book.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Mon May 07, 2007 1:54 pm

Oil companies have not built new refineries b/c there's little reason to. When the govt heavily subsidizes your supposed future direct competition and constantly threathens to steal your money via "windfall profits" taxes, why would you bother with the CapEx on something that takes a very long time to complete and bring into operation?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Field » Mon May 07, 2007 2:08 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
Field wrote:I'm more worried about how $4 gas will lead to even greater levels of inflation. You won't see the Fed lowering interest rates anytime soon if that happens.

OT a bit but there's a fantastic history of prices since the Medieval Era called 'The Great Wave' that explains how spikes in fuel prices have 'led' each spike in inflation since that time and, in turn, have led to wars, cannabalism, drug use and all sorts of other ills. It sounds a bit far fetched but it is a pretty breezy read and summarizes a lot of pretty dense histories of prices in one 200 some odd page book.

Thanks for the heads up. I just read a summary about the book and it looks very intersting. Economics is an area of personal interest, so I think I'm going to pick it up. ;-D
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby RedWoodTree824 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:12 pm

That shiny new bike is looking pretty good right about now.
RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby JTWood » Mon May 07, 2007 2:18 pm

RugbyD wrote:Oil companies have not built new refineries b/c there's little reason to. When the govt heavily subsidizes your supposed future direct competition and constantly threathens to steal your money via "windfall profits" taxes, why would you bother with the CapEx on something that takes a very long time to complete and bring into operation?

Exactly. We bring these high prices on ourselves by having laws and a legislature in place that do not promote new refining and exploratory means.

That goes for both Republicans and Democrats.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Mon May 07, 2007 2:23 pm

I agree with Knapp on this one. Prices are already too high, and when the gas companies are banking record profits for any business for any year (Exxon), yet prices are still climbing, there's definitely something wrong.

I got an interesting email, but I'm going to start a new thread on that. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby madmikey » Mon May 07, 2007 2:38 pm

I think it's about time to buy a bike. I'm also going to look for a local job. I can't beleive the gas is going to be so high soon.
madmikey
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:57 pm

RugbyD wrote:Oil companies have not built new refineries b/c there's little reason to. When the govt heavily subsidizes your supposed future direct competition and constantly threathens to steal your money via "windfall profits" taxes, why would you bother with the CapEx on something that takes a very long time to complete and bring into operation?

also, if oil companies are 'managing' production, they would likely look closely at the cost now of refineries vs. the return on that investment in 10 or 15 years when production drops and, if it's not a clear 'win', why bother?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby StlSluggers » Mon May 07, 2007 3:00 pm

madmikey wrote:I think it's about time to buy a bike. I'm also going to look for a local job. I can't beleive the gas is going to be so high soon.

My work is going to start me on a WAH program soon.

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk