Brad Lidge - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brad Lidge

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brad Lidge

Postby Wright stuff » Mon May 07, 2007 10:42 am

With his late performances, do you guys think that Lidge will have the opportunity to close games this year for the Astros.
Wright stuff
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Slow Pay » Mon May 07, 2007 10:53 am

Yes. I think he will be the closer again at some point this season. I have him stashed on my bench for now. I noticed the Stro's have been using him as the setup guy usually pitching in the 8th inning and he has been pitching very well.
Slow Pay
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby uucrook3d » Mon May 07, 2007 11:27 am

he hasnt been used in the 8th at all. mostly in the 6th or in garbage time, but his recent numbers have looked very good:

8.2 ip
8 h
1 r
1 er
13 k
2 bb
0 hr

i like those last 3 quite a bit ;-D
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon May 07, 2007 11:32 am

Seems like the Stros want to sink or swim with Lidge and I can't really fault them given how successful he used to be at closing games. It is probable that he will get the job back at some point but whether he can hold it or not is an entirely different story. As it is with the Stros, Lidge owners are sort of stuck with him so just wish for the best but don't hold your breath either.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby fantasysports » Mon May 07, 2007 1:01 pm

Lidge will probably close but for another team than Houston. They simply cannot remove Wheeler from the closer role at the moment.

Expect Lidge to be dealt to another team.
fantasysports
College Coach
College Coach

Postby IllinoisBandit » Mon May 07, 2007 3:55 pm

The way he's looked lately I think he gets it back sooner than later. He looks absolutely filthy out there.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cookman » Mon May 07, 2007 5:17 pm

While I obviously can't say what they will do, and MLB managers make logic-defying decisions every day, I really don't see why they would put him back in the closer role. He's done terrible there the past season-plus, has had to be removed several times for poor performance, and he's doing fine in a middle reliever role. Wheeler has been good so far, and until he has problems, I don't see why they would try to shake up the bullpen.
cookman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SweetAurillia » Mon May 07, 2007 5:22 pm

Everyone knows Gardner has a mancrush on Lidge but I think even he has to be realistic in making his decision on whether or not to put Lidge back in the closers role. Wheeler is doing fine (for now) and until Wheeler strings at least 2-3 blown saves in a row, I don't think Lidge shoudl be even considered to close again. I think Wheeler is pretty safe to hold the job but his leash is definitely shorter than it should be given his track record to close games last year.
[i]For tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today[/i]
SweetAurillia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby foulballstrike3 » Mon May 07, 2007 5:28 pm

I hate to do this, but I read somewhere in the past day that Gardner had this to say about Lidge (not an exact quote):
He has an idea on where he wants to be again, and he's on his way.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zhangman1 » Mon May 07, 2007 5:36 pm

foulballstrike3 wrote:I hate to do this, but I read somewhere in the past day that Gardner had this to say about Lidge (not an exact quote):
He has an idea on where he wants to be again, and he's on his way.

from the Austin-American Statesment

"HOUSTON

Deposed closer Brad Lidge had two successful outings in the three-game series. "His mechanics are a whole lot better and I think his confidence level is up," manager Phil Garner said. "I think he has a very clear idea what he wants to do and I think he's back on track." Dan Wheeler is 5-for-5 in save opportunities with 10 consecutive scoreless innings over his last eight appearances. "

Still, i don't see lidge being the Cl in Houston anymore, at least not this season. Maybe on another team.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers