will Linecum get sent down after this horrible performance? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

will Linecum get sent down after this horrible performance?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon May 07, 2007 2:50 pm

sixer03fan wrote:i love all these giants fans complaining about victorino cheating and acting like an ass... when they go home every night and some how manage to root for barry bonds - the biggest cheat in the game, who disrespects all pitchers and even the players on his own team.

touche ;-) B-)

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chargerss24 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:58 pm

B-Chad wrote:This thread is absolutely absurd. I'd suggest not owning any prospects ever if you are contemplating dropping Licecum after his first start. When dealing with a prospect you have to give them a longer leash and understand you aren't going to get perfection in the early going. If you'd rather own middle tier veteran players with no ceiling and finish middle of the pack, be my guest, dump Lincecum. If you want to hold onto a pitcher who has a high ceiling and could help you this year considerably more then anything available in your league, I'd keep Lincecum. As others have stated, Lincecum has nothing to prove at AAA any longer, if they send him down, I'd suggest it might go a long way in actually stunting his growth. You don't want him getting comfortable getting away with pitches he can in AAA but can't at the big league level. I don't think he'll be sent down, if the Giants are going to give Ortiz another chance at getting his 5th spot back, I think you could see the Giants use Lincecum in relief (like they are doing with Jonathan Sanchez). Russ Ortiz is not a long term answer, so expect Lincecum to eventually be the 5th stater even if he is unable to lock up the job before Ortiz comes off the DL.

Agreed. I mean, Good Lord! Everyone was quick on the bandwagon, and now a lot of people are jumping off after ONE start. If you're dropping him in non-keeper leagues, that's one thing. Keeper leagues, you're fools. :-t
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby petert » Tue May 08, 2007 10:58 am

hughes got blown out his first start and then pitched a 7 inning no hitter his next....yes he blew out his arm but that was a fluke.

give the kid a chance.

Luckily (i'm sure for most of us) he pitched on Sunday and i couldn't get him into my lineup that week, now he is in there and i have complete confidence against the weak hitting rockies.....you'll see.
petert
College Coach
College Coach

Postby YardBirds » Tue May 08, 2007 11:03 am

petert wrote:yes he blew out his arm but that was a fluke.

It was a hammy. :-?
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby baseketball4life » Tue May 08, 2007 11:25 am

this thread is retarded. they will never send lincecum down. and for a first start he had a great showing. he got no calls from the umpire, he showed he could blow his fastball by the best of them (rollins, howard). I honestly was very impressed and i think he is instantly their best pitcher. His curveball is very very good, he had some jitters and thats all. He will carve up the Rockies in his next start.

btw the giants should just release ortiz, he is of no use on their team.
Go Heels
baseketball4life
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby beezer » Tue May 08, 2007 2:00 pm

Jitters had a lot to do with his performance Sunday night. It's one thing to make your major league debut, but, to make it on Sunday night on ESPN is another. There is also the pressure of being annointed the "Man" already. Not to mention, the tough Phillies lineup to face the first time out.

It was obviously a shaky debut, but, he also showed some flashes of why he is so highly touted. He made two bad mistakes to Victorino and Howard, and did decent other wise. And yes, he did get squeezed a couple of times. But, that's what any rookie pitcher is going to have to deal with.

The fact is, you can't judge ANY pitcher on one outing. Give 3 or 4 more starts and we will get a better gauge on what Linc is going to bring to the table this year.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby HeMANNY » Tue May 08, 2007 2:18 pm

sixer03fan wrote:i love all these giants fans complaining about victorino cheating and acting like an ass... when they go home every night and some how manage to root for barry bonds - the biggest cheat in the game, who disrespects all pitchers and even the players on his own team.

You are sooo right man...NOT. Bonds the biggest cheat in the game? I'm sorry has he ever been caught by mlb? I don't think so. Has he ever failed a drug test? Not there either. He disrespects all pitchers huh? Well isn't it funny that more pitchers are being caught for steroid use than hitters? What a coincidence right? Get your facts straight and open your mind, his attitude shouldn't be used against him, his numbers are those of an all-time great, one of the top 5 hitters of all time; DON'T EVER DENY HIS ABILITY, TALENT AND STATISTICS
HeMANNY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby HeMANNY » Tue May 08, 2007 2:21 pm

and to add to the thread properly, I don't think Lincecum will get sent down, as other posters acknowledged he has nothing else to prove in AAA, one start doesn't mean anything. Phil hughes had a "rough" outing his first time out and he came back with a no-hitter through 6 innings. Lincecums ability is on par with Hughes, the only knock has been his stature, but anyone with an eye for pitching saw the ability and talent the kid has, go ahead and drop him...someone in your league will gladly pick him up
HeMANNY
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby OnceinDC2\1 » Wed May 09, 2007 11:27 pm

I am starting him at Colorado....the potential for huge numbers is undeniable...it's always interesting to watch people run to Bond's defense...he has taken steroids...just "unwittingly"...you gotta agree, it's hard to believe a world-class athlete who clearly suffers from a SEVERE persecution complex would ever put somthing in his body unwittingly. Gotta admit, the flaxseed oil thing was even more hilarious than it was damning. Hehjavascript:emoticon(':-)')
Happy, it's tough to write this and keep a straight face
OnceinDC2\1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dooz » Thu May 10, 2007 4:45 am

HeMANNY wrote:Bonds the biggest cheat in the game? I'm sorry has he ever been caught by mlb? I don't think so.

I am not even going to get into this debate but...

Technically, Victorino didn't get caught for anything either. Actually, he was rewarded for it.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates