will Linecum get sent down after this horrible performance? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

will Linecum get sent down after this horrible performance?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Inukchuk » Mon May 07, 2007 11:13 am

I don't get how that was cheating... if a guy beats out a throw to first, but they call him out, was the first baseman cheating?
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Cyclone177 » Mon May 07, 2007 11:51 am

I guess it was the way Victorino was smiling and grinning about it that pissed me off. He knew he should have been out, but he just laughs it off, chuckling to himself that he got one over. I mean, when you run at the pitcher, and second base is a completely different angle, then you are trying to avoid the tag by running out of the base path. I don't care how many times the announcer says he "created his own base path by changing directions", he was 6 feet inside the pathway on the grass. Should have been out, IMHO.
Cyclone177
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby B-Chad » Mon May 07, 2007 1:24 pm

This thread is absolutely absurd. I'd suggest not owning any prospects ever if you are contemplating dropping Licecum after his first start. When dealing with a prospect you have to give them a longer leash and understand you aren't going to get perfection in the early going. If you'd rather own middle tier veteran players with no ceiling and finish middle of the pack, be my guest, dump Lincecum. If you want to hold onto a pitcher who has a high ceiling and could help you this year considerably more then anything available in your league, I'd keep Lincecum. As others have stated, Lincecum has nothing to prove at AAA any longer, if they send him down, I'd suggest it might go a long way in actually stunting his growth. You don't want him getting comfortable getting away with pitches he can in AAA but can't at the big league level. I don't think he'll be sent down, if the Giants are going to give Ortiz another chance at getting his 5th spot back, I think you could see the Giants use Lincecum in relief (like they are doing with Jonathan Sanchez). Russ Ortiz is not a long term answer, so expect Lincecum to eventually be the 5th stater even if he is unable to lock up the job before Ortiz comes off the DL.
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jswede » Mon May 07, 2007 1:25 pm

Don G. wrote:Lol at the title of the thread. This sounds like someone started him thinking he'd go 8 innings giving up 1 run of 27 strike out baseball.

lol. no kidding. he's not going anywhere - not a bad start at all. the stats look MUCH worse than how he pitched (tight zone, a couple mistakes, unfortunate plays), and he had some jitters.

"He's going to be fine," manager Bruce Bochy said. "I'll tell you, that stuff's electric. He made a couple of mistakes but he showed what a great arm he's got."

go ahead and drop him. lol.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby B-Chad » Mon May 07, 2007 1:27 pm

Oh yeah... let me also point out that according to the ESPN telecast, Russ Ortiz DL trip was only "precautionary." I'd suggest the Giants may not have placed taken this precautionary measure if their top prospect hadn't been lights out in AAA. Brian Sabean is trying to keep his job and that means putting the best talent out there... and Lincecum has more talent then Russ Ortiz.
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazing Oopah » Mon May 07, 2007 1:57 pm

yeah, I think Linc is up for good. The guy had a .29 ERA was treating AAA batters like little leaguers; he's got nothing to prove down there anymore.

And I'd love to see him in relief for a while and work on getting his other pitches beside his fastball involved in the game. I believe 82% of his pitches were fastballs... that's not gonna cut it in the majors :-[
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby gmoney973 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:00 pm

BTW i was actually just joking around with the 'horrible performance' title. i did think he did bad but for his first start it wasnt that bad. i watched the entire game so i saw what you saw.
gmoney973
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrewerJer » Mon May 07, 2007 2:02 pm

Cyclone177 wrote:I guess it was the way Victorino was smiling and grinning about it that pissed me off. He knew he should have been out, but he just laughs it off, chuckling to himself that he got one over. I mean, when you run at the pitcher, and second base is a completely different angle, then you are trying to avoid the tag by running out of the base path. I don't care how many times the announcer says he "created his own base path by changing directions", he was 6 feet inside the pathway on the grass. Should have been out, IMHO.

That seems to be the way baseball is. It's only cheating if you get caught. Great game, but it's not exactly golf when it comes to honor.

The funny part for me was watching him try to justify it to himself and one of the players on the other team.
BrewerJer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gmoney973 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:16 pm

yeah he was trying to explain himself to 11 time gold glove winner omar visquel

BrewerJer wrote:
Cyclone177 wrote:I guess it was the way Victorino was smiling and grinning about it that pissed me off. He knew he should have been out, but he just laughs it off, chuckling to himself that he got one over. I mean, when you run at the pitcher, and second base is a completely different angle, then you are trying to avoid the tag by running out of the base path. I don't care how many times the announcer says he "created his own base path by changing directions", he was 6 feet inside the pathway on the grass. Should have been out, IMHO.

That seems to be the way baseball is. It's only cheating if you get caught. Great game, but it's not exactly golf when it comes to honor.

The funny part for me was watching him try to justify it to himself and one of the players on the other team.
gmoney973
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby sixer03fan » Mon May 07, 2007 2:47 pm

i love all these giants fans complaining about victorino cheating and acting like an ass... when they go home every night and some how manage to root for barry bonds - the biggest cheat in the game, who disrespects all pitchers and even the players on his own team.
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates