Overrated Players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Overrated Players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby biju » Tue May 08, 2007 1:15 pm

itodd wrote:wouldnt most overrated players be the guys that are "sell high" candidates right now? not the other way around?


Not necessarily. If they are overrated and slumping (or even not producing at their drafted value) they would be untradable because they wouldn't command a high value even with the perceived high value of their draft position.

As is usual with these types of threads, there isn't a solid definition of "overrated" however. In a league where Ryan Howard was taken 2nd overall that would indicate quite a bit of overrating, however if he was taken in the bottom of the first round it would be tough to call that overrated. I would expect him to produce above a 9th or 10th overall selection (even though he's not right now).

For example, Dice-K was taken in the 3rd round of my little 10 team league, 4th pitcher of the board. Overrated? Yes, definitely by that person.

Also, the media comes into play with overrated. I think most seasoned fantasy players weren't making the same mistake.
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1077
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby theultimate69 » Tue May 08, 2007 1:43 pm

soxfan364 wrote:Yes but he's not exactly a rookie...just new to American baseball

RocketsDWM wrote:
Surfs up wrote:I know its still early but Dice K as of right now is WAY overrated


Have you seen one of his starts? He is just going through the typical difficulties any rook does.


When a AAA pitcher comes up into the majors as a rookie he doesn't have struggles because it's his first time playing baseball. It's because it's his first time in this league, first time against these hitters. Same with Matsuzaka.
theultimate69
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 445
Joined: 11 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Surfs up » Tue May 08, 2007 10:27 pm

Have you seen one of his starts? He is just going through the typical difficulties any rook does.
_________________
Yes I have seen him pitch. He can't pitch with men on base.How do they get on base? He walks them.I don't care who you are . You need to throw strikes. And as I said. as of right now . hes overrated. that was the question in the post. Who do you think? And looks like I'm not alone. Even if I was thats MY answer
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4783
(Past Year: 198)
Joined: 14 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Little Lee » Tue May 08, 2007 10:33 pm

NZF wrote:All these young guys that get called up.

It cracks me up how so many get worked up into a frenzy about grabbing some young guy off waivers that comes up to the bigs and drop someone from their roster that ends ultimately being more productive. I can maybe understand keeper leagues that keep plenty but besides an occasional pitcher these guys are generally grossly overrated. You can get some tried and true player who will give you at least as good a numbers from FA if you have to get rid of some bum burning a hole on your bench.


I agree with this completely. This is the point I was trying to make in one of the many threads abouts Litchcum
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 380
Joined: 29 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue May 08, 2007 11:17 pm

Little Lee wrote:
NZF wrote:All these young guys that get called up.

It cracks me up how so many get worked up into a frenzy about grabbing some young guy off waivers that comes up to the bigs and drop someone from their roster that ends ultimately being more productive. I can maybe understand keeper leagues that keep plenty but besides an occasional pitcher these guys are generally grossly overrated. You can get some tried and true player who will give you at least as good a numbers from FA if you have to get rid of some bum burning a hole on your bench.


I agree with this completely. This is the point I was trying to make in one of the many threads abouts Litchcum


I don't see what is so wrong about hitting the lottery (because let's face it that's how we feel) on some kid coming in and saving our season. I think my lucky stars that I was able to grab Prior, Harden, Peavy, Hamels and Cain in their rookie seasons. So excuse those people who are on the same boat as I am to get a little excited about guys like Hughes and Lincecum.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby Little Lee » Wed May 09, 2007 2:48 am

Yoda wrote:
Little Lee wrote:
NZF wrote:All these young guys that get called up.

It cracks me up how so many get worked up into a frenzy about grabbing some young guy off waivers that comes up to the bigs and drop someone from their roster that ends ultimately being more productive. I can maybe understand keeper leagues that keep plenty but besides an occasional pitcher these guys are generally grossly overrated. You can get some tried and true player who will give you at least as good a numbers from FA if you have to get rid of some bum burning a hole on your bench.


I agree with this completely. This is the point I was trying to make in one of the many threads abouts Litchcum



I don't see what is so wrong about hitting the lottery (because let's face it that's how we feel) on some kid coming in and saving our season. I think my lucky stars that I was able to grab Prior, Harden, Peavy, Hamels and Cain in their rookie seasons. So excuse those people who are on the same boat as I am to get a little excited about guys like Hughes and Lincecum.


Thanks Yogi, and I see nothing wrong with someone having an opinion that may differ from yours. If we all agreed on each topic this would be a pretty dull place.
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 380
Joined: 29 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed May 09, 2007 8:15 am

Little Lee wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Little Lee wrote:
NZF wrote:All these young guys that get called up.

It cracks me up how so many get worked up into a frenzy about grabbing some young guy off waivers that comes up to the bigs and drop someone from their roster that ends ultimately being more productive. I can maybe understand keeper leagues that keep plenty but besides an occasional pitcher these guys are generally grossly overrated. You can get some tried and true player who will give you at least as good a numbers from FA if you have to get rid of some bum burning a hole on your bench.


I agree with this completely. This is the point I was trying to make in one of the many threads abouts Litchcum



I don't see what is so wrong about hitting the lottery (because let's face it that's how we feel) on some kid coming in and saving our season. I think my lucky stars that I was able to grab Prior, Harden, Peavy, Hamels and Cain in their rookie seasons. So excuse those people who are on the same boat as I am to get a little excited about guys like Hughes and Lincecum.


Thanks Yogi, and I see nothing wrong with someone having an opinion that may differ from yours. If we all agreed on each topic this would be a pretty dull place.


True...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby tol1l1yboy » Wed May 09, 2007 5:04 pm

Is Howard having that much worse of a year than Pujols?

In my league where we count total bases his walks help a lot but even in a traditional 5x5 league I don't know that you can say he is any more of a disappointment so far than Pujols.

I have Pujols and I am not looking to trade him but still. He doesn't look quite right so far in the games I have seen.
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 395
Joined: 5 May 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kaiser » Wed May 09, 2007 5:15 pm

Rafael Furcal
Ryan Howard
Bill Hall
Ryan Sheely
Mike Young
Robinson Cano
Image
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 5554
(Past Year: 306)
Joined: 8 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Genco Olive Oil Co.

Postby kaiser » Wed May 09, 2007 5:17 pm

I disagree with the person who said that Ichiro's numbers do not justify his draft position. Consistancy alone justifies where he gets drafted. The batting average, run production, OBP and SB make him hugely valuable in fantasy, in my humble opinion.

No is he would just wake the heck up this season...
Image
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 5554
(Past Year: 306)
Joined: 8 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Genco Olive Oil Co.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact