Roger Clemens a Yankee - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roger Clemens a Yankee

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BritSox » Sun May 06, 2007 4:02 pm

And just when we've forgiven him, Rajah sticks it to RSN once again. May the bullpen blow every one of those leads you hand them at the end of the sixth.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Pablo975 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:04 pm

It bears mentioning that a lot of the younger AL players (Crawford, Markakis, Gordon, Butler, Upton, Young, etc,) Clemens will face might have never batted against him.....and he IS Clemens after all. A legend and a legend that has no problem throwing high and tight at ya.

That's a pretty good advantage the first time or two around, so his return to the AL might be helped by that.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BritSox » Sun May 06, 2007 4:06 pm

blankman wrote:Surprised no has mentioned it.

Clemens is returning to his former teammates. Jeter, Pettitte, Rivera, Posada, Giambi etc.

They were all calling him and sending emails to come to NY.

In Boston he has no one that I can think of.

Wakefield.

I wouldn't agree that there was no reason to return to Boston, but going to NY is entirely in character. I hope we reissue 21 to some scrub MR we pick up midseason.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby jbauer2485 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:07 pm

Even if Clemens is worse than expected, he'll no doubt pass along some vital knowledge to Hughes.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bceagles04 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:07 pm

jbauer2485 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:He went for the money. He will regret it once that bullpen starts blowing the lead for him.

Money shouldnt have been a factor. Honestly, how much does he need?

Money is a factor in anything in this world, why does that bother you?

If it makes you feel any better he said in his interview that having Pettitte, Jeter, Torre and the rest were a major factor in his decision.

If he went to Boston for 1 year 30 million then without a doubt you could make the claim that he only went for the money, because he really has no reason to go back there.

I feel like in this case, Clemens should have gone to the team with the best chance to win in the playoffs. You don't think he has plenty of money as it is?

And to whoever said money is always a concern when looking for a job; you don't think Clemens has enough by now? If I was him, and looking for a championship, I wouldn't go to where I would get paid the most, but to where I would have the best chance to win.
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jbauer2485 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:09 pm

bceagles04 wrote:
jbauer2485 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:He went for the money. He will regret it once that bullpen starts blowing the lead for him.

If it makes you feel any better he said in his interview that having Pettitte, Jeter, Torre and the rest were a major factor in his decision.

If he went to Boston for 1 year 30 million then without a doubt you could make the claim that he only went for the money, because he really has no reason to go back there.

I feel like in this case, Clemens should have gone to the team with the best chance to win in the playoffs. You don't think he has plenty of money as it is?

And to whoever said money is always a concern when looking for a job; you don't think Clemens has enough by now? If I was him, and looking for a championship, I wouldn't go to where I would get paid the most, but to where I would have the best chance to win.

Call me a Yankee homer if you want, but I don't see Boston as the clear AL East winner. A lot of things have been going their way, we'll see what happens if\when a key piece gets injured or struggles.

Btw, Post is reporting prorated 20-24 million. Much lower than I thought.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05062007/sp ... _yanks.htm

Edit: Olney saying 28 million.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Sun May 06, 2007 4:11 pm

bceagles04 wrote:
jbauer2485 wrote:

Maybe, god forbid, he thinks NY has the better chance to win.

The best lineup, best closer and they're still waiting on half their rotation to be healthy.

I don't think anyone really believes that the Boston pen is as good as they've been, and NY's pen will get a lot better once they start getting innings from their healthy starters.

Again, its the beginning of May. There is plenty left in the season.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby mweir145 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:13 pm

jbauer2485 wrote:
bceagles04 wrote:
jbauer2485 wrote:

Call me a Yankee homer if you want, but I don't see Boston as the clear AL East winner. A lot of things have been going their way, we'll see what happens if\when a key piece gets injured or struggles.

Btw, Post is reporting prorated 20-24 million. Much lower than I thought.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05062007/sp ... _yanks.htm

Edit: Olney saying 28 million.

Take it from me, from an outsiders' perspective that doesn't like both your teams, it really looks like he unsurprisingly went for the money.

And 20, 24, 28...it doesn't matter, they offered him the most I'm sure. I think the Yankees are getting a little bit desperate, judging by the Hughes callup, and now this signing. Money usually solves the problem, though.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers