Roger Clemens a Yankee - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roger Clemens a Yankee

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Fpower » Tue May 08, 2007 8:11 pm

How much value does he have? I dropped Weathers for him since I already had a bunch of closers; now I'm wondering if I jumped the gun. In a roto league when should he be picked up?
Fpower
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 08, 2007 8:14 pm

Fpower wrote:How much value does he have? I dropped Weathers for him since I already had a bunch of closers; now I'm wondering if I jumped the gun. In a roto league when should he be picked up?

Depends on your IP. How are you doing there?? I think that as long as you aren't way behind in IP now (and maybe even if you are), you will be fine waiting a month for him.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Dislexic Irishman » Tue May 08, 2007 8:23 pm

Saw on ESPN the other day someone say that Clemens is now a lock to enter the hall of fame as a Yankee.

Clemens pitched better for Boston, Toronto, and Houston than for NY. In 5 seasons (now 5.5) with the yanks he was just an average pitcher. He has K's and W's but ERA's of 4.6 3.7 3.51 4.35 and 3.91 there. WHIP wasn't great either. I don't see how pitching decent and winning a world series with one team would take precedence over being dominant for more than twice as long but not winning a world series with another team. Am I right?
Dislexic Irishman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 08, 2007 8:26 pm

Dislexic Irishman wrote:Saw on ESPN the other day someone say that Clemens is now a lock to enter the hall of fame as a Yankee.

Clemens pitched better for Boston, Toronto, and Houston than for NY. In 5 seasons (now 5.5) with the yanks he was just an average pitcher. He has K's and W's but ERA's of 4.6 3.7 3.51 4.35 and 3.91 there. WHIP wasn't great either. I don't see how pitching decent and winning a world series with one team would take precedence over being dominant for more than twice as long but not winning a world series with another team. Am I right?

He really has a few options, IMHO. A case could be made for any place not named Houston and, to a lesser extent, Toronto. I would have no issue if he went in with a Boston cap. His relationship with the HOF will probably allow him to have a bigger say than most.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue May 08, 2007 9:13 pm

Clemens should go in as a Red Sock but I'm wondering if his relationship with that city has deteriorated to the point where he wouldn't want to. I may be way off base with that, but to me, it seems as if he'd probably opt to go in as a Yankee if it were up to him, although that's not where is was most dominant.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 08, 2007 9:15 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:I think pitching a month before he did the previous three years is a mistake though. An injury is almost inevitable (hamstring?)

Clemens pitched a full season every year prior to last year. :-?

And he wasnt 100% one of those years correct? I believe it was the World Series run...

I have no idea, I was just disputing what you said.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue May 08, 2007 10:27 pm

"Depends on your IP. How are you doing there?? I think that as long as you aren't way behind in IP now (and maybe even if you are), you will be fine waiting a month for him."

No way he's going to be available in a month unless you're playing in an extremely shallow league. I'm sure in 99 percent of leagues he was scooped up the moment he announced he was joining the Yanks.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 09, 2007 12:16 am

Secret Avatar wrote:"Depends on your IP. How are you doing there?? I think that as long as you aren't way behind in IP now (and maybe even if you are), you will be fine waiting a month for him."

No way he's going to be available in a month unless you're playing in an extremely shallow league. I'm sure in 99 percent of leagues he was scooped up the moment he announced he was joining the Yanks.

Maybe I was ambiguous but I meant that he would be O.K. picking him up now and waiting the month for him to actually pitch. Hence, the IP question. ;-)
Lofunzo

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers