Matt Desalvo(Yankees) Pitching Mon. Any info on him? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Desalvo(Yankees) Pitching Mon. Any info on him?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Crystalstorm » Sun May 06, 2007 2:23 pm

Matt Desalvo is starting on Mon. for the Yankees.Does anyone know anything about him,or how his pitching is.I couldn't find much info about him.
Is he worth picking up? he'll get 2 starts this week.
Crystalstorm
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dclark0699 » Sun May 06, 2007 2:57 pm

Last year he got shellacked around a little bit with the CLippers. So far this season his is posting a mid to high 2 ERA I think. I would not even think about picking him up for either of his two starts.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Surfs up » Sun May 06, 2007 5:20 pm

Haven't seen anything about him being activated yet. Hs he been offically called up? I would put in a min. bid on him . Trying to get the jump on my league mates. If he pitches well tomorrow it'll cost more then $5.00 to get him.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 198)

Postby George_Foreman » Sun May 06, 2007 5:33 pm

Shame he doesn't get to pitch against the Mariners. ;-7

edit: I take it back; he DOES get to face Seattle tomorrow!! I'm calling that a must-start now. :-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kemper5 » Mon May 07, 2007 12:57 am

Im not sure about him and have not heard much either. I did pick him up for his 2 starts though..I need wins bad
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby p32bars » Mon May 07, 2007 1:09 am

I played against him in college back in 03. He went to D3 Marietta (Ohio). He was their ace, they brought him in for an inning of work against us. The first 8 pitches he threw were all balls. He then proceeded to throw 9 straight strikes to strike out the side and end the game. None of his 17 pitches were clocked below 95mph.

From what I have heard, he has lost his speed and now throws 89-90mph but has developed an excellent changeup. He had a funky 3/4 delivery back in college and he only weighed about a 170lbs.

I'll definately be tuning in on Monday to see him throw.
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Noggy » Mon May 07, 2007 5:13 am

dclark0699 wrote:So far this season his is posting a mid to high 2 ERA I think. I would not even think about picking him up for either of his two starts.

His ERA is actually 1.05. But still, he walks too many hitters. Even when he pitches well, he throws too many pitches and he doesn't have overpowering stuff. Even if he doesn't give up a lot of runs, his pitch count could get him yanked before he finishes 5 innings.

As a Yankee fan I think he can pitch well enough for the team to win, but as a fantasy owner I wouldn't even considering picking him up, let alone starting him. I highly doubt his ratios won't hurt you and after this week, I doubt he pitches again in the majors. With the way Rasner pitched yesterday, he'll get called back up to take that spot in the rotation for the first game of the Mets series.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mkultra » Mon May 07, 2007 10:12 am

He's starting twice against Seattle this week, and they've only got 1 player batting over .300. Plus, it's Miguel Batista both matchups. What the hell, I took a flier on him.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Strasil42 » Mon May 07, 2007 11:29 am

Noggy wrote:
dclark0699 wrote:So far this season his is posting a mid to high 2 ERA I think. I would not even think about picking him up for either of his two starts.

His ERA is actually 1.05. But still, he walks too many hitters. Even when he pitches well, he throws too many pitches and he doesn't have overpowering stuff. Even if he doesn't give up a lot of runs, his pitch count could get him yanked before he finishes 5 innings.

As a Yankee fan I think he can pitch well enough for the team to win, but as a fantasy owner I wouldn't even considering picking him up, let alone starting him. I highly doubt his ratios won't hurt you and after this week, I doubt he pitches again in the majors. With the way Rasner pitched yesterday, he'll get called back up to take that spot in the rotation for the first game of the Mets series.

Good post. DeSalvo has been the best pitcher they have in the minors this season. He does have control problems though, and I wouldn't expect more than 5 innings.

Clippard is the better pitcher, but he is also 4 or 5 years younger than DeSalvo. They decided that if DeSalvo is gonna ever break out, it better be now. Time is running out on him.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Mon May 07, 2007 11:30 am

Can't be worse then Igawa :-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert