Hi all - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Hi all

Hi all

Postby tom123782002 » Sat May 05, 2007 11:27 pm

Hi all I am brand new to fantasy baseball...I am a vet in FF...I am in a yahoo public league...Is it better to have SP or RP??
tom123782002 Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Stejay » Sun May 06, 2007 6:51 am

Hi dude. SP is better I think.
Stejay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby smoovethug » Sun May 06, 2007 7:55 am

I like to carry about 5 or 6 SP's but dont forget about closers, you'll need those saves!

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 374f2d6100

;-D

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Stejay » Sun May 06, 2007 10:09 am

Too true, but SP are very important
Stejay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sox 06 » Sun May 06, 2007 10:43 am

Its better to have good SP IMO.

A little hint, next year don't join a public league. People don't check them enough.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun May 06, 2007 10:59 am

I would say go mostly with good SP, however I usually like to have 1 excellent closer and a couple decent closers.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Sun May 06, 2007 11:42 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I would say go mostly with good SP, however I usually like to have 1 excellent closer and a couple decent closers.

I got into an argument with someone in Leftovers or Bench/Start (don't remember which) about closers. I basically ripped on a guy who was freaking out that Gordon went down, when it turns out he had four other top-tier closers. My argument is, who needs 4 or more closers? Even in a shallow league, a good starter or position player is a better choice while drafting... the closers he had made me assume he may have picked 4 closers in a row during the draft as soon as the infamous "closer run" started, and as we all know, that run usually starts a little sooner than it should.

I've never had problems with 2 closers, maybe 3 at most on my team. And it's better to have 2 closers, than 4 or 5 and not having a catcher, second baseman or a pitcher that can get you wins.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun May 06, 2007 12:01 pm

Coppermine wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I would say go mostly with good SP, however I usually like to have 1 excellent closer and a couple decent closers.

I got into an argument with someone in Leftovers or Bench/Start (don't remember which) about closers. I basically ripped on a guy who was freaking out that Gordon went down, when it turns out he had four other top-tier closers. My argument is, who needs 4 or more closers? Even in a shallow league, a good starter or position player is a better choice while drafting... the closers he had made me assume he may have picked 4 closers in a row during the draft as soon as the infamous "closer run" started, and as we all know, that run usually starts a little sooner than it should.

I've never had problems with 2 closers, maybe 3 at most on my team. And it's better to have 2 closers, than 4 or 5 and not having a catcher, second baseman or a pitcher that can get you wins.

Well, yes I agree with that, but if you take a K-rod or Nathan early, you don't have to worry about trying to get guys later who will get you saves at the expense of your WHIP and ERA. Also, I was able to get K-rod just before people took Ryan and Rivera, so I was able to make a good value pick. But yes, you are absolutly right that you shouldn't jump for closers, however if they are there at where they should be, I'd go ahead and take one reasonably early.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RocketsDWM » Sun May 06, 2007 12:15 pm

I think the point is you shouldnt take closers just to have a closer on your team. Yes, getting K-Rod is great value, especially when is arguably the best closer in the game. But people often reach for closers in the draft just so they can have 4-5 closers. Guys like Al Reyes and Torres can be had on the waivers and wont cost you a middle draft pick.

I tend to think having 3 closers is the best way to go, but even punting saves isnt that bad of an option either (say your left out of that early closer run)
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Coppermine » Sun May 06, 2007 1:20 pm

Both you guys make excellent points; upper tier closers are invaluable and if you grab Nathan, Rivera, Wagner or K-Rod early enough and at the right time, you don't have to worry about the closer run at all. My strategy is typically to draft two, upper tier closers, or close to that, and then either grab one later in the draft or pick up an inevitable free agent closer. I never have more than three though unless an opportunity presents itself that can't be let go... especially since closers lose jobs and get hurt.

I know BJ Ryan stung me pretty bad in one of my leagues. I felt lucky enough to grab Wickman to pick up the slack and now there he goes.

By some ridiculous stroke of luck, I had Myers... I was one of those pulling their hair out at moving him to the pen but now, it not only seems like it was a good idea, but it's saved my butt in the saves department.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum