J.J. freakin' Hardy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

J.J. freakin' Hardy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

J.J. freakin' Hardy

Postby jcde7ago » Sat May 05, 2007 9:39 pm

What's up with this kid? 2-4 with another HR tonight, overall 8 HR, 26 RBI, 21 R and hitting .333...

What does everyone think of him? I personally haven't heard much about him, but everyone keeps saying he's playing over his head and each time he goes out and hits another bomb...is he the Kinsler of the shortstop position this year?

(btw would you drop Julio Lugo for him :-b )
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 05, 2007 9:42 pm

I was very high on Hardy going into last season, but he only played in 35 games, and after a sub-par 2005, people generally forgot about him. I don't think he'll continue to hit for this power, but I do think he'll be a valuable SS all season. I'm not sure I'd drop Lugo for him at this point, though. I would try and get him on my roster, though, if he were for some reason available.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby itodd » Sat May 05, 2007 9:49 pm

i picked him up a week and a half ago for the hell of it thinking i'd probably end up getting the end of his hot streak, but dudes got my UTIL spot on lockdown right now. I'm going to try to sell him high.
itodd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat May 05, 2007 9:51 pm

In 2005 JJ started very slowly as he recovered from surgery and faced big league pitching for the first time. After the all star break, he hit an impressive .308 while slugging a very solid .503 (with 8 HR).

In 2006, we never really got a chance to see what he could do, only 128 AB.

Now, we're seeing some of the power that was projected of him. I see him as a 20-25 HR type. He's certainly on pace for more, but I don't quite see him keeping this ridiculous pace. I could see a very solid .285/22 HR/80 RBI/95 R or so, maybe more. The only problem with JJ as your SS is a complete lack of SB.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Ender » Sat May 05, 2007 9:57 pm

Comparisons to Yount and Ripken are not unfounded with him, while I don't think he'll peak as high as they did with their best seasons his 'normal' seasons will be like their 'normal' ones were. I do agree he's a better real player than fantasy though. He doesn't K much at all which doesn't mean much in fantasy but is valuable in real baseball, he doesn't steal which isn't a big deal in real baseball but is in fantasy. He's a very good fielder which doesn't mean much in fantasy.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Scooter1027 » Sat May 05, 2007 9:59 pm

Ender wrote:I do agree he's a better real player than fantasy though. He doesn't K much at all which doesn't mean much in fantasy but is valuable in real baseball, he doesn't steal which isn't a big deal in real baseball but is in fantasy. He's a very good fielder which doesn't mean much in fantasy.

Bingo (although I do have him in a league where Ks hurt you, adding to his value). I like him a lot, but I think he'll always be a better "real-life" SS than fantasy. Although right now any fantasy team could be using this power production at SS.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Young 8 » Sat May 05, 2007 10:03 pm

Ender wrote:Comparisons to Yount and Ripken are not unfounded with him, while I don't think he'll peak as high as they did with their best seasons his 'normal' seasons will be like their 'normal' ones were. I do agree he's a better real player than fantasy though. He doesn't K much at all which doesn't mean much in fantasy but is valuable in real baseball, he doesn't steal which isn't a big deal in real baseball but is in fantasy. He's a very good fielder which doesn't mean much in fantasy.

well, it depends how many cats do you have
Young 8
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Wed May 09, 2007 9:21 am

Another HR last night and he's going to be on the Young and the Restless along with Capuano and Hall, thats how you know you've made it!
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby DbacksRback » Wed May 09, 2007 9:48 am

man i am mad dropping him to make room for when furcal came off the DL :-° :-t :~(

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby BigZ38 » Wed May 09, 2007 9:54 am

J.J. Hardy is what I would refer to as a "post-hype sleeper."

He was a popular sleeper pick last year and he had some injuries and just didn't have a great year. It's always something to keep in mind, when a young guy who is tabbed as a sleeper, doesn't really pan out...the next year he could show why he was a sleeper the year before even though he starts the year on the waiver wire.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers