A Fleshner Fantasy's advice thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

A Fleshner Fantasy's advice thread

Postby ROC AllStars » Fri May 25, 2007 1:52 pm

I just dropped Ervin Santana for Gallardo... I hate getting caught up in the hype, but geez, this guy looks like he could dominate.

My SP's are solid without Ervin: J. Santana, Felix, Clemens, Haren, Kazmir, Lowe, Maddux, Hughes

We have a 162 game start limit, so Santana was only starting SPOT home games, where I needed him to fill in. Basically, the question is does Gallardo's value outweigh the certainty of solid home starts from Ervin?

Did I make a mistake?
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri May 25, 2007 11:07 pm

ROC AllStars wrote:I just dropped Ervin Santana for Gallardo... I hate getting caught up in the hype, but geez, this guy looks like he could dominate.

My SP's are solid without Ervin: J. Santana, Felix, Clemens, Haren, Kazmir, Lowe, Maddux, Hughes

We have a 162 game start limit, so Santana was only starting SPOT home games, where I needed him to fill in. Basically, the question is does Gallardo's value outweigh the certainty of solid home starts from Ervin?

Did I make a mistake?

Well, I like Gallardo a lot, however I am a strong believer that Santana will turn it around. If you really want Gallardo that much, you should have considered dropping a hitter for him if you have more than 1 BN hitter. Also, if you have Hughes on your bench rather than your DL he probably would have been a better option as well. It wasn't a terrible move, however it is not what I would have done in that situation. If Gallardo turns out to be the stud he is hyped up to be, you look like a genius, however if Santana turns it around, you look like a fool. For this, you are taking on a higher risk with a higher chance of reward. Unless you are in the top 3 right now, it isn't a terrible move.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: so ...for better or worse!?!

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri May 25, 2007 11:13 pm

scottski51 wrote:Thanks to your logical suggestions.....and looking for a TOP closer (not someone like Benitez, etc.)...I offered Granderson, Thome, and for good measure, Brandon Webb and will get LA's Saito and SFs Lincecum. I'm not much of a Webb fan, even if he does come highly rated...but I Drooool over Lincecum, esp after watching him on Fox the other evening.
Figure I can easily pick up either another starter or hitter now, and have a better Pitcher-weighted team. Will let you know how we do. Any final thoughts? Skip if it starts out...."You DUMB #SS!!"
Help was much appreciated, Flesh. ;-D

I like Lincecum over Webb as a matter of fact, however I think that Granderson and Thome is an awfully steep price to pay for Saito. If you can get a good replacement on the WW though, it is okay.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

Postby Lofunzo » Sat May 26, 2007 11:20 am

bartjones wrote:I'm playing Yahoo Fantasy Baseball for the first time after years of playing fantasy hockey. It's a rotisserie league with the following roster positions

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL

Unlike hockey, baseball players play almost everyday, so with 5 bench positions I'm constantly sitting OFs and IFs out who are actually playing. My league still has a lot of good starting pitchers available (Shields, Meche and Hendrickson to name a few).

My question is this. Doesn't it make sense to ditch 3 or 4 of my weaker OFs and IFs and pick up starting pitchers instead? At least you can sit pitchers who aren't starting and not feel like you are missing anything. Seems to me you'd get roughly the same offense but increase your chances in the IP, K and W categories for pitching. Any advice appreciated. Thanx in advance. Great forum here.

I wanted to comment on this. I hate using IP as a cat, especially in a roto league. Do you have a maximum IP in this league?? If so, you might want to ration out your bench spots more wisely.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue May 29, 2007 10:34 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
bartjones wrote:I'm playing Yahoo Fantasy Baseball for the first time after years of playing fantasy hockey. It's a rotisserie league with the following roster positions

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL

Unlike hockey, baseball players play almost everyday, so with 5 bench positions I'm constantly sitting OFs and IFs out who are actually playing. My league still has a lot of good starting pitchers available (Shields, Meche and Hendrickson to name a few).

My question is this. Doesn't it make sense to ditch 3 or 4 of my weaker OFs and IFs and pick up starting pitchers instead? At least you can sit pitchers who aren't starting and not feel like you are missing anything. Seems to me you'd get roughly the same offense but increase your chances in the IP, K and W categories for pitching. Any advice appreciated. Thanx in advance. Great forum here.

I wanted to comment on this. I hate using IP as a cat, especially in a roto league. Do you have a maximum IP in this league?? If so, you might want to ration out your bench spots more wisely.

;-D

A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

Previous

Return to Beginner's Forum