A Fleshner Fantasy's advice thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

A Fleshner Fantasy's advice thread

A Fleshner Fantasy's advice thread

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat May 05, 2007 5:20 pm

It appears there is already a thread explaining what things mean and such, so I figured I would start one up for advice.

Any question is fine, no matter how obvious you think it may be. This is for qestions that you may not want to post in another section for whatever reason or if you just want to make sure you get an answer.

I will try to do my best to answer you as quickly as possible, however due to my schedule it could be a day or two (although it will usually be much sooner than that).

I will answer whatever I can, and if I overlook something, just quote it and say "bump" to remind me.

Also, if you have any questions of follow up to a resonse I give you, feel free to either respond again in this thread, or pm me for further clarification.
Last edited by A Fleshner Fantasy on Sun May 06, 2007 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bartjones » Sat May 05, 2007 11:25 pm

I'm playing Yahoo Fantasy Baseball for the first time after years of playing fantasy hockey. It's a rotisserie league with the following roster positions

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL

Unlike hockey, baseball players play almost everyday, so with 5 bench positions I'm constantly sitting OFs and IFs out who are actually playing. My league still has a lot of good starting pitchers available (Shields, Meche and Hendrickson to name a few).

My question is this. Doesn't it make sense to ditch 3 or 4 of my weaker OFs and IFs and pick up starting pitchers instead? At least you can sit pitchers who aren't starting and not feel like you are missing anything. Seems to me you'd get roughly the same offense but increase your chances in the IP, K and W categories for pitching. Any advice appreciated. Thanx in advance. Great forum here.
bartjones
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun May 06, 2007 12:18 am

bartjones wrote:I'm playing Yahoo Fantasy Baseball for the first time after years of playing fantasy hockey. It's a rotisserie league with the following roster positions

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL

Unlike hockey, baseball players play almost everyday, so with 5 bench positions I'm constantly sitting OFs and IFs out who are actually playing. My league still has a lot of good starting pitchers available (Shields, Meche and Hendrickson to name a few).

My question is this. Doesn't it make sense to ditch 3 or 4 of my weaker OFs and IFs and pick up starting pitchers instead? At least you can sit pitchers who aren't starting and not feel like you are missing anything. Seems to me you'd get roughly the same offense but increase your chances in the IP, K and W categories for pitching. Any advice appreciated. Thanx in advance. Great forum here.

You are absolutely right, especially since IP is a catagory in your league. I would definatly pick up Meche and if there is a 2nd IF/OF on your bench that you can drop, I would go with either Shields or Hendrickson at that spot. It's pretty much up to you between those two who you want. I would probably go with Shields between the two because he has more IP/appearence. That being said, if there are 3 IF/OF you can drop, get all 3. Make sure to keep at least 1 IF/OF on your bench in case you have a starter who you want to take out due to struggling, rather than dropping them.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

Postby bartjones » Sun May 06, 2007 1:05 am

thanx, that's just what I was planning to do.
bartjones
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun May 06, 2007 7:42 pm

bartjones wrote:thanx, that's just what I was planning to do.

No problem, let me know if you need any further clarification. ;-D

A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

Okay, Flesh... I'm in 2 Yahoo leagues...

Postby scottski51 » Wed May 23, 2007 12:13 am

One led by a newbie commish in std H2H, 12 team, 5x5 std scoring. The second led by friend at work (dumb Dodger fan to boot!) also H2H ,12 tm, but 7x7 scoring incl 2b,3b for hitters and Holds + HRs allowed for pitchers.
Both of my teams are balanced, i.e. both hitters and pitchers have 2 or 3 BN players. Heres the 1st league roster fwiw:

Roster:
C- V. Martinez,1b
1B- Dan Johnson
2B- Damion Easley ss, 3b
3B- Chipper Jones
SS- Julio Lugo
OF- Ryan Doumit 1b,c
OF-Grady Sizemore
OF- Kevin Youkilis 1b,3b
Util- Jim Thome
BN- Albert Pujols !!!
BN- Curtis Granderson
SP- Jake Peavy
SP- Brandon Webb
RP- Dan Wheeler
RP- Jeremey Accardo
P- Gil Meche
P- Ervin Santana
P- Bob Wickman
BN- Matt Morris
BN- Jarrod Washburn

I have just had a trade accepted for Chipper and Washburn where I get Carlos Beltran and Ben Sheets.
I'm reading several threads here...that talk about carrying just the minimum hitters plus one or two, and use the majority of bench for more starting pitchers. Though I too agonize over leaving a hot hitter on the bench, I'm not beating myself up over it. Would you stick with
this roster and shuffle hitters (out against tough pitchers...in against lousy ones, etc.) or trade for more pitching. IF the latter, what am I trying to accomplish? Drown the opponent in Ks??? Seems to me the chances for higher ERA and WHIP goes UP with more starters used each week.
My second team has Derrick Turnbow for HOLDS. Should I trade a hitter for another H candidate? Say one of SDiegos ??
A couple teams in both leagues seem to be already following this heavy-on-the-pitchers rule. But many are not. I also like to get nearly a full lineup on mondays and thursdays when other guys are light. Carry a second catcher, Doumit just for that possibility.
So whaddya think? Your advise gladly considered. Thanks in advance.
Never give up! Never, never, never, never give up! - Winston Churchill
scottski51 Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Okay, Flesh... I'm in 2 Yahoo leagues...

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed May 23, 2007 4:58 pm

scottski51 wrote:One led by a newbie commish in std H2H, 12 team, 5x5 std scoring. The second led by friend at work (dumb Dodger fan to boot!) also H2H ,12 tm, but 7x7 scoring incl 2b,3b for hitters and Holds + HRs allowed for pitchers.
Both of my teams are balanced, i.e. both hitters and pitchers have 2 or 3 BN players. Heres the 1st league roster fwiw:

Roster:
C- V. Martinez,1b
1B- Dan Johnson
2B- Damion Easley ss, 3b
3B- Chipper Jones
SS- Julio Lugo
OF- Ryan Doumit 1b,c
OF-Grady Sizemore
OF- Kevin Youkilis 1b,3b
Util- Jim Thome
BN- Albert Pujols !!!
BN- Curtis Granderson
SP- Jake Peavy
SP- Brandon Webb
RP- Dan Wheeler
RP- Jeremey Accardo
P- Gil Meche
P- Ervin Santana
P- Bob Wickman
BN- Matt Morris
BN- Jarrod Washburn

I have just had a trade accepted for Chipper and Washburn where I get Carlos Beltran and Ben Sheets.
I'm reading several threads here...that talk about carrying just the minimum hitters plus one or two, and use the majority of bench for more starting pitchers. Though I too agonize over leaving a hot hitter on the bench, I'm not beating myself up over it. Would you stick with
this roster and shuffle hitters (out against tough pitchers...in against lousy ones, etc.) or trade for more pitching. IF the latter, what am I trying to accomplish? Drown the opponent in Ks??? Seems to me the chances for higher ERA and WHIP goes UP with more starters used each week.
My second team has Derrick Turnbow for HOLDS. Should I trade a hitter for another H candidate? Say one of SDiegos ??
A couple teams in both leagues seem to be already following this heavy-on-the-pitchers rule. But many are not. I also like to get nearly a full lineup on mondays and thursdays when other guys are light. Carry a second catcher, Doumit just for that possibility.
So whaddya think? Your advise gladly considered. Thanks in advance.

Okay, so first things first. Get Pujols in there. I don't care if he's struggling a bit, he needs to be in. I am a bit confused as to which team you posted, however either way, I would try to trade for a RP. If you can, try to get a closer, since I think Wheeler and Acardo aren't going to cover you for saves, and while Wickman coming back will help, I may try to get a more dependable closer. Also, if this is the holds team, you are going to need another holds guy, be it through a trade or a WW pickup. If you need any further clarification, let me know. ;-D

A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

clarification of first post

Postby scottski51 » Wed May 23, 2007 7:16 pm

Hey, thanks for the advise. This roster is NOT the "Holds" team, but the std H2H 5x5 team. Yeah, I know to get Pujols in....I left him out I think, monday, when St Louis was off. Normally he's in....although being a West Coaster, playing Dan Johnson somewhere is almost required!
So, on a more serious side.....you would try to trade a Bat for and Arm and specifically a better Closer? How many BN hitters do you or other advanced FBB managers usually carry? 1?? 2??? I like the crew I have now, esp with addition of Beltran. But it would make sense to get more pitching for both Saves and Wins which i seem to struggle with. Many of the top line SPs pitch against each other so a "W" is never guaranteed.
Think maybe I could give up Granderson. Any other thoughts on the BN balance would be appreciated. And one final BIG Q: Would you EVER attempt to swap Pujols for ANYbody??? Thanks again, Flesher!
scottski51 Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed May 23, 2007 8:00 pm

I generally only carry 1 BN player, especially in a daily lineup, a lot of other people carry 2. If you can get a decent closer for Granderson, I'd go ahead and pull the trigger. I also think if you can get a top notch starter for Thome, you should do that, and I think Dan Johnson is an excellent sell high candidate, and if the other people in your league are West Coast guys as well, that can work even better.

And to answer your next question, I would not give Pujols up straight up for anyone. However, if you can get him for someone like Peavy AND someone like Holliday, I would do that.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

so ...for better or worse!?!

Postby scottski51 » Fri May 25, 2007 2:05 am

Thanks to your logical suggestions.....and looking for a TOP closer (not someone like Benitez, etc.)...I offered Granderson, Thome, and for good measure, Brandon Webb and will get LA's Saito and SFs Lincecum. I'm not much of a Webb fan, even if he does come highly rated...but I Drooool over Lincecum, esp after watching him on Fox the other evening.
Figure I can easily pick up either another starter or hitter now, and have a better Pitcher-weighted team. Will let you know how we do. Any final thoughts? Skip if it starts out...."You DUMB #SS!!"
Help was much appreciated, Flesh. ;-D
scottski51 Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum