Upper Body Workout - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Upper Body Workout

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Upper Body Workout

Postby Spiegepj » Sat May 05, 2007 4:30 pm

This summer, I would like to beef up my upper body. Does anyone have a program they have done thats helped them out? I have about 3 months and access to a nice gym. Thanks
Spiegepj
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsaddict » Sat May 05, 2007 5:41 pm

Well, for starters you should do some bench press... flat and incline bench. Those are pretty basic lifts, and since you pretty much want to gain mass, go for a weight you can lift 3-5 times or so and do 4 or 5 sets. What I do is find my max weight, which right now is about 190, then do a workout from that- I do 75 percent (of 190) 5 times, 80 percent 4 times, 85 percent 3 times, and 90 percent 3 times (2 sets usually). By the end you should not be able to finish, you will need a spotter to do assisted reps. And once you get to the point where you can finish your workout then move up in weight. I do this for both bench and incline... that's the way I've been taught but I am sure people have other methods.

Also, flys are a good way to increase upper body strength. Take two dumbbells, and lay flat on a bench. Starting with your arms out, flex your arms in and then back out to your starting position. Kind of hard to explain through writing but basically you are pulling your arms together and then apart. Start with a weight you can do 3-5 times once again, and then just keep going from there.

Hope that helps
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Sat May 05, 2007 7:54 pm

Start out with 3 exercises.

- Push ups on a range of inclinations (progressing to dumb bell press).
- Chin ups.
- Seated row.

That will work every muscle you need in your upper body. If you want big arms, chin ups are the way to go.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 05, 2007 7:58 pm

RynMan wrote:Start out with 3 exercises.

- Chin ups.
- Seated row.

That will work every muscle you need in your upper body. If you want big arms, chin ups are the way to go.

You've got one exercise that focuses on chest, and two that focus on back. The biceps and triceps come into play to a degree, but if he's looking to get big, breaking down into muscle groups and a schedule for them is likely going to be necessary.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Melo255 » Sat May 05, 2007 8:03 pm

This is the best program for beginners to weightlifting to put on lots of muscle in a relatively short amount of time I've ever come across.

It's extremely simple, easy to stick with and gives great results if you do it correctly.

Don't ignore your lower body. A huge portion of your actual size and strength will come from lower body strength.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=750551
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 05, 2007 8:08 pm

Here's the workout I've been going with for about three months now. I'm loving the results...

MONDAY - Arms *
* Some break biceps and triceps into two separate days, as one flex stretches the other, but I haven't had any problems combining the two.

Alternative Seated Curl
Reverse Grip Pull Up
Bicep Curl
Bench Dip
Laying Tricep Extension
Tricep Extension (using cables)

TUESDAY - Chest

Ball Dumbbell Chest Press
Bench Chest Press
Bench Incline Press
Dumbbell Decline Bench Press
Dumbbell Chest Press
Ball Push Ups

WEDNESDAY - Legs

Dumbbell Half Wall Squat
Leg Press (on machine)
Lunges
Leg Curls (on machine)
Leg Extensions (on machine)

THURSDAY - Back

Lat Pull Downs (on machine)
Horizontal Rows (on machine)
Wide Gripped Pull Ups
Single Arm Dumbbell Rows
Ball Back Extensions

FRIDAY - Shoulders

Military Shoulder Press
Dumbbell Twisting Shoulder Press
Shrugs
Standing Front Rows

EVERY DAY - Abs

Ball Crunches
Arm Reach Crunch
Rotational Crunch
Dumbbell Crunch

This routine was given to me by a friend I went to college with who is now a personal trainer for the Syracuse Chiefs, affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays, and as I said earlier, I'm absolutely loving it. If you want me to e-mail you the .doc files with explanations for each workout, let me know and I'd be more than happy to shoot 'em to ya.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Sat May 05, 2007 8:14 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

- Chin ups.
- Seated row.

You've got one exercise that focuses on chest, and two that focus on back. The biceps and triceps come into play to a degree, but if he's looking to get big, breaking down into muscle groups and a schedule for them is likely going to be necessary.

Chin ups aren't just the back. They create Humeral adduction as well as elbow flexion, which means that the lats and pecs are both working in unison. Not to mention all of the synergist/stability muscles that are working to prevent anterior/posterior movement.

He's asking for a program, it would be responsible to assume that he is starting fresh, and this would be the best and simplest start to build some foundation strength. Not a great idea to jump straight into a low-rep, high weight program, isolating individual muscles. There's a greater chance of injury or improper form.

If he has been working out for a while prior to this question, then yeah, it's different. However, he didn't specify. Asking for a weight program is like asking someone what car they should buy. It's about needs and practicality.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 05, 2007 8:27 pm

RynMan wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

- Chin ups.
- Seated row.

Chin ups aren't just the back. They create Humeral adduction as well as elbow flexion, which means that the lats and pecs are both working in unison. Not to mention all of the synergist/stability muscles that are working to prevent anterior/posterior movement.

He's asking for a program, it would be responsible to assume that he is starting fresh, and this would be the best and simplest start to build some foundation strength. Not a great idea to jump straight into a low-rep, high weight program, isolating individual muscles. There's a greater chance of injury or improper form.

If he has been working out for a while prior to this question, then yeah, it's different. However, he didn't specify. Asking for a weight program is like asking someone what car they should buy. It's about needs and practicality.

You have a good point. I understand, also, that pull/chin ups work an array of muscles, and what you mentioned. I guess I jumped to the conclusion that he knew what he was doing, but in re-reading his post, I'm not sure why. :-b Now that I think about it, this guy may not even be able to do a chin up. :-o
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DaQ » Sat May 05, 2007 8:36 pm

I'd love to offer some good advice here, but my workout is a bit quirky, a bit short, and probably isn't really the best way to conduct a workout...although the results are really good.

My workout (while at school...I may polish it a little more when I'm home during the summer):
-Run to/from, about a mile each way. Next year at school I'll be doing this on an indoor track, but for this year and for the summer...on the roads! (due to location). I feel the track makes you a little better, but the roads make you a little tougher.
-ARMS: Camber Curl Bar/Machine. I really like this machine. You're sitting, and the weights are on the right (you insert the peg into the desired weight), and the handlebars are right there. They have the cushion for your elbows and for you to "curl." Right now, I am doing 5 sets of 10 at close to 80% my weight. I may want to add some weight and reduce the reps to add bulk, though I like definition too.
-Chest: Vertical Chest Press OR Bench Press. Here at school, the vertical chest press is great. Right now, I do 5 sets of 15 reps at about 130% my weight, so I may want tup this a little bit as well, but reduce the reps. As for the bench press, I can do 85-90% of my weight with 4 sets of 12 reps. I could up this so I hit my weight, and reduce the reps down as well.
-Abs: Sit ups...with a weight In addition to running on the roads or on the track, this is my other old-school tactic. I grab a 10lb weight, and do my sets with the weight behind my head (instead of my hands being there, I am holding the weight). Right now I do 5 sets X 25 reps, but may up it to 6 sets soon.

I do this workout 4X a week, maybe five if I'm feeling really good. I haven't experienced any muscle injuries yet...a very slightly strained left pectoral is the closest thing to it (I only feel it a little bit when doing the chest press).
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Return to General Talk