Rich hill pitching question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rich hill pitching question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rich hill pitching question

Postby ab » Sat May 05, 2007 1:36 pm

I've watched Rich Hill pitch a few times this season and I was curious about something....why doesn't the guy throw more fastballs letter-high? I know he had flyball issues earlier in his career, and that seems to be better now, and maybe that's why he throws so many pitches in the zone. But it seems to me if he followed up some of those big breaking-balls with high fastballs, he could get hitters to swing under them all the time. I dunno, just hoping someone with more pitching knowledge than me can provide suggestions.

PS The pitch that spurred on this question was an 0-2 fastball low in the zone to a righty that went for a base hit (the previous pitch was a breaking ball for a looking strike).
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LukeW9027 » Sat May 05, 2007 2:15 pm

From what I've seen this season, its that high fastball that has made him so effective. He doesnt throw it too much, because if it becomes predictable, then they are easy to hit hard. Too many high fastballs can mean alot of homeruns.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Element » Sat May 05, 2007 2:22 pm

Exactly. It's a great pitch to mix in, but since he's not overpowering, it's not something he wants to throw too often. When it's up, solid contact by just about anyone will allow them to tomahawk it out. However, I love the pitch in a pitcher's count once the batter is thinking curve. Whatever he's been doing, I doubt he wants to change a thing.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 685)

Postby ab » Sat May 05, 2007 2:35 pm

I guess that makes sense. His fastball rarely breaks 91, so he wouldn't want to throw too many up in the zone. Thanks guys, just something I was curious about. Just seems like he throws a LOT of stuff in the strikezone in pitcher's counts.
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Rich hill pitching question

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 05, 2007 5:11 pm

ab wrote:I've watched Rich Hill pitch a few times this season and I was curious about something....why doesn't the guy throw more fastballs letter-high? I know he had flyball issues earlier in his career, and that seems to be better now, and maybe that's why he throws so many pitches in the zone. But it seems to me if he followed up some of those big breaking-balls with high fastballs, he could get hitters to swing under them all the time. I dunno, just hoping someone with more pitching knowledge than me can provide suggestions.

PS The pitch that spurred on this question was an 0-2 fastball low in the zone to a righty that went for a base hit (the previous pitch was a breaking ball for a looking strike).

They're better now because he doesn't throw it as often.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby Rounders » Sat May 05, 2007 6:45 pm

After the big curve on righties, he likes to go inside with the high fastball sometimes. It freezes the batter most time. I've watched him a few times this year, and all of his pitches are looking pretty effective. As he matures and his placement gets better, he's going to be a top pitcher. The ump gives him a lot of strike calls with the looping curve (even when it can be argued that it's not crossing the plate).
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers