H Owens looking like a real closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

H Owens looking like a real closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby StringerBell » Sat May 05, 2007 12:37 pm

artistmk wrote:I guess Pinto coming in to get a bailout save doesnt count. Maybe you forget about the 2 men he put on against the Mets which brought the tying run to the plate. Maybe it was smooth sailing against Philly when he gave up a walked 2 and gave up a single to load the bases.

Rely on Owens at your own risk and dont give up anything for him. He may not have given up runs in those games but law of averages seem to indicate a slew of them coming soon.

This is my whole point. He has 3 saves and a win against tough opponents SINCE those events. I think perhaps he`s had his baptism of fire, and is now feeling confident.
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H Owens looking like a real closer?

Postby akula » Sat May 05, 2007 12:47 pm

StringerBell wrote:
Prooks25 wrote:
StringerBell wrote:Owens got an easy one tonight. After a few shaky outings, he`s recorded 3 saves and a win in his last 5 appearances. This includes 2 saves on the road vs. the Mets, 1 in which he toughed it out in some hard rain.

Are the spectres of Julio and Tankersly gonna fade for the permanent spot?

If he keeps this up, he won't lose the job. That's obvious.

I dont think its so obvious. Teams do funny things. Look at the Gagne/Otsuka situation.

when completely healthy, Gagne is perhaps one of the top closers of all time. You can't say the same thing about Tank or Julio. If I am the manager of Texas, I would always give Gagne the nod as long as he is healthy.

Owens is an average closer at best but he is doing alright so far. Don't waste your roster spot on Tank unless Owens starts to struggle again. Use that spot on guys like Capps, Soriano, Cabrera...etc.
akula
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pgmer123 » Sat May 05, 2007 1:51 pm

Keep in mind owens is a coverted catcher and is still learning his craft. He is only going to get better. That being said I traded him last night cause his value is at an all time high. I still like the kid though. The only thing that concerns me is when owens gets a hit off him or walks a better, the skip has someone warming up in the pen. This has happened that last couple of times. You don't do this if you have cofidence in your closer.
pgmer123
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby activechamp2006 » Sat May 05, 2007 2:04 pm

akula wrote:
StringerBell wrote:
Prooks25 wrote:
StringerBell wrote:Owens got an easy one tonight. After a few shaky outings, he`s recorded 3 saves and a win in his last 5 appearances. This includes 2 saves on the road vs. the Mets, 1 in which he toughed it out in some hard rain.

I dont think its so obvious. Teams do funny things. Look at the Gagne/Otsuka situation.

when completely healthy, Gagne is perhaps one of the top closers of all time. You can't say the same thing about Tank or Julio. If I am the manager of Texas, I would always give Gagne the nod as long as he is healthy.

Owens is an average closer at best but he is doing alright so far. Don't waste your roster spot on Tank unless Owens starts to struggle again. Use that spot on guys like Capps, Soriano, Cabrera...etc.

Please don't ever use "when healthy" to back up a player like Gagne. He will never be put in the same sentence as Mariano Rivera or Trevor Hoffman. Gagne is no where near a top closer of all time. If I wanted to use the "when healthy" statement I could use it on tons of injured talents who have put together a couple of great seasons.
It's not fair to talk bad about Tank yet either. The guy hasen't even been given a shot yet, he's very young and has tons of talent. He very well could be better then Gagne, it has yet to be determined.
I disagree with not using a roster spot for Tank. He deserves one, even as a reliever who doesen't get saves he's quite valuable. Though I do believe he will get a chance to close at some point in the season.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sat May 05, 2007 2:08 pm

activechamp2006 wrote:
akula wrote:
StringerBell wrote:
Prooks25 wrote:

Please don't ever use "when healthy" to back up a player like Gagne. He will never be put in the same sentence as Mariano Rivera or Trevor Hoffman. Gagne is no where near a top closer of all time. If I wanted to use the "when healthy" statement I could use it on tons of injured talents who have put together a couple of great seasons.
It's not fair to talk bad about Tank yet either. The guy hasen't even been given a shot yet, he's very young and has tons of talent. He very well could be better then Gagne, it has yet to be determined.
I disagree with not using a roster spot for Tank. He deserves one, even as a reliever who doesen't get saves he's quite valuable. Though I do believe he will get a chance to close at some point in the season.

Umm Tank was given a shot last season ;-7 ;-7 . He didnt excel as a closer... :-t :-t
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StringerBell » Sat May 05, 2007 2:21 pm

quote]

quote]

When is he healthy? He has pitched less than 20 innings in the last 3 seasons. He started 2007 on DL , pitched about 3 innings, then went back on DL.
He had an amazing run---but IMO---he`s gotta prove himself all over again. I read somewhere that he is throwing at 92-93 MPH now instead of the blazing 97s he slammed in his streak.
Otsukas numbers last year are very Hoffman-Like The Texas GM should have found lots of other places to use the Gagne money.
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StringerBell » Sat May 05, 2007 10:01 pm

Well.................................maybe he isnt. Got beat by Robles!
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigMak » Sat May 05, 2007 10:09 pm

StringerBell wrote:Well.................................maybe he isnt. Got beat by Robles!

A bloop by Cameron. Good single by Cruz with an error moving runner to third. Bloop by Robles with an error that scored the second run. Nobody hit the ball good and the defense was awful.
BigMak
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby artistmk » Sat May 05, 2007 10:10 pm

Yep, Owens was Mr. Automatic. Again, use at your own risk. I'm just glad this argument is now over. Let's go Marlins! Give Tank the win at least now! :)
artistmk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pgmer123 » Sat May 05, 2007 11:24 pm

I hate to beat a dead horse but manager had tank warming up after the cheap hit by cameron up by two. Sell high on owens.
pgmer123
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates