H Owens looking like a real closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

H Owens looking like a real closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H Owens looking like a real closer?

Postby StringerBell » Fri May 04, 2007 11:02 pm

Owens got an easy one tonight. After a few shaky outings, he`s recorded 3 saves and a win in his last 5 appearances. This includes 2 saves on the road vs. the Mets, 1 in which he toughed it out in some hard rain.

Are the spectres of Julio and Tankersly gonna fade for the permanent spot?
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H Owens looking like a real closer?

Postby Prooks25 » Fri May 04, 2007 11:22 pm

StringerBell wrote:Owens got an easy one tonight. After a few shaky outings, he`s recorded 3 saves and a win in his last 5 appearances. This includes 2 saves on the road vs. the Mets, 1 in which he toughed it out in some hard rain.

If he keeps this up, he won't lose the job. That's obvious.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Re: H Owens looking like a real closer?

Postby StringerBell » Fri May 04, 2007 11:26 pm

Prooks25 wrote:
StringerBell wrote:Owens got an easy one tonight. After a few shaky outings, he`s recorded 3 saves and a win in his last 5 appearances. This includes 2 saves on the road vs. the Mets, 1 in which he toughed it out in some hard rain.

If he keeps this up, he won't lose the job. That's obvious.

I dont think its so obvious. Teams do funny things. Look at the Gagne/Otsuka situation.
StringerBell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby zevon » Fri May 04, 2007 11:29 pm

Sanchez sent down and Julio activated today - don't think the Fish would make this move if they weren't planning on using Jorge.
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rileysrompers » Sat May 05, 2007 2:03 am

zevon wrote:Sanchez sent down and Julio activated today - don't think the Fish would make this move if they weren't planning on using Jorge.

Julio wont close again this year unless he gets traded to the Phils.. we all know that Charlie Manuel is a RETARD... He gave up 7 runs 2 earned 12 hits in 7 innings in AAA....
rileysrompers
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby artistmk » Sat May 05, 2007 2:52 am

Owens is on shaky ground. Better to handcuff Tankersley with Owens for the time being. Dont be surprised to see some other relievers steal some saves when Owens needs to be bailed out after Tank is already used in the 8th.
artistmk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ab » Sat May 05, 2007 8:41 am

I've watched him pitch about 3 or 4 times now....consider him about as risky as Dempster. His control is decent, but he only has 2 pitches so he tends to get hit hard once in awhile.
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Diggs » Sat May 05, 2007 10:18 am

To all saying, "he is on shaky ground," and etc:

He has pitched 16.2 innings this season ..... 15 of them have been shutout innings (93%). Also, the only two times he did give up earned runs it was against the NY Mets (who he since has closed two games against) and the Atlanta Braves. So in other words; the two best teams in all of the National League.

He is 4-4 in save opportunities .... has a WHIP of 1.20 .... an ERA of 2.16 .... and opponents are only hitting .206 against him. Not to mention he has a fastball that hits 93-94 consistently (and he hit 97 in a save against the Mets) and a filthy breaking curveball.

I love how Tankersley owners and anyone else who sat on their hands rather then picking him up continue to bash him when he has done nothing but give us reason to believe in him. :-t
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby artistmk » Sat May 05, 2007 10:30 am

I guess Pinto coming in to get a bailout save doesnt count. Maybe you forget about the 2 men he put on against the Mets which brought the tying run to the plate. Maybe it was smooth sailing against Philly when he gave up a walked 2 and gave up a single to load the bases.

Rely on Owens at your own risk and dont give up anything for him. He may not have given up runs in those games but law of averages seem to indicate a slew of them coming soon.
artistmk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Diggs » Sat May 05, 2007 10:51 am

artistmk wrote:I guess Pinto coming in to get a bailout save doesnt count. Maybe you forget about the 2 men he put on against the Mets which brought the tying run to the plate. Maybe it was smooth sailing against Philly when he gave up a walked 2 and gave up a single to load the bases.

Rely on Owens at your own risk and dont give up anything for him. He may not have given up runs in those games but law of averages seem to indicate a slew of them coming soon.

Law of what averages? The .206 average that opponents are hitting against him? ;-)
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates