Help setting up HDTV - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Help setting up HDTV

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help setting up HDTV

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri May 04, 2007 9:34 pm

so i have a sweet 50 inch LCD HDTV and i wanna set it up to watch lincecum own in high definition...the tv has an HD-tuner and i have comcast digital cable...when i go to the ESPNHD channel i hear sound but get no picture so i assume i'm getting the channel already, i just dont have it set up correctly...do i just need to guy buy a certain cable to get the picture? and what kinda cable would i need to get? i tried calling comcast to find out what i need to do but they are no help at all.

any help from one of you tech savvy guys would be greatly appreciated
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pablo975 » Fri May 04, 2007 9:58 pm

What cables did you use to hook it up?

If you're getting no picture at all on any channel, then check your cables for a snug connection. If you're just not getting a HD feed, that would be because you need to use the HDMI cable and input or the red/blue/green cables and inputs.

The more info on your setup you can provide, the easier it will be to diagnose.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 04, 2007 11:50 pm

Depending on your provider, you may have to pay extra for the channel as well. First try what Pablo said, with the HDMI cables, though, to make sure that's what you're running.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby flloyd » Sat May 05, 2007 2:35 am

There are a couple of ways to get HDTV. You say that yours has a tuner. The most common tuner is an ATSC/QAM Tuner. An OTA (Over the Air) tuner allows you to plug in bunny ears and capture local HDTV Broadcasts (ABC, CBS, PBS, etc, No ESPN). Clear QAM gets you HDTV channels from you cable but in almost all cases it will only get you the same channels as OTA, that is the local broadcasts. Any "cable" channels such as CNN, ESPN, etc will be encrypted.

The other less common tuner on an HDTV is a Cable Card Tuner. This requires your cable company to come in and install a Cable Card into your HDTV and set it up, this is similar to the card used on satellite TV boxes. This will allow you to watch all of the cable channels that are available in HDTV without a cable box.

If your HDTV does not have a Cable Card Tuner then the only way to receive "cable" HDTV channels is by getting an HDTV cable box from Comcast or one from a satellite provider.

I believe that you plugged your cable directly into your HDTV, correct? If so that means your using its Clear QAM tuner and since ESPN is scrambled (encrypted QAM) it is resulting in the scrambled picture that you describe. If this is the case your either going to need to get a Cable Card for you TV (it has a Cable Card Tuner) or you're going to need to get an HDTV Cable Box. The technician should hopefully be smart enough to make sure you use the right video cable (ideally HDMI or DVI).

Hope this helps.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat May 05, 2007 5:22 am

OK i'll try to go into a bit more depth:

I have a comcast digital cable box, hooked up to regular cable, I do not have HDMI cables as of now.

When I turn my television to an HD channel, I get a black screen but I have sound and can hear the program...I assume this means I am getting the channel and I just don't have the correct set up to display the HD.

if that is true do i just need to get these HDMI cables and hook my digital cable box up to the tv with those?

Under specs for the TV it says this:
Built-in HD/Digital tuner (ATSC), 181-channel tuner (NTSC); Digital Cable ready

thanks for your help guys
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby flloyd » Sat May 05, 2007 12:11 pm

Okay, so you can safely ignore most of what I said since you are trying to get you HDTV from a Cable Box. I believe the problem is that you either have a Cable Box that does not support HDTV or you have not paid Comcast the extra $6.95 to get HDTV programming. Do you get your locals in HDTV and just ESPNHD is not working or do you get no HDTV channels at all?
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 05, 2007 12:18 pm

I'm not sure how Comcast works, but when I got my HDTV, I had to get a new specific HD Cable Box/DVR from Time Warner to broadcast the signal.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat May 05, 2007 2:02 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'm not sure how Comcast works, but when I got my HDTV, I had to get a new specific HD Cable Box/DVR from Time Warner to broadcast the signal.

This is true. Comcast has regular digital boxes that are black and their HD boxes are silver. At least here, that is. What color is yours, Giants?? If you have a standard box, just disconnect it and take a ride down to your nearest payment center and swap it for an HD box. Not sure what the rate is out there. I have worked for Comcast for 2 years (this coming Wednesday) and they have increased HD service from free to $1 to $5 in those 2 years. I am 99.9% sure that this is the problem. When I had Comcast, I would only get sound and no picture on the HD channels because I wasn't using an HD box. They should also give you some HD RCA cables with the box. You're on your own with HDMI cables.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Return to General Talk