Swing and a Miss: Round Two - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Swing and a Miss: Round Two

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Swing and a Miss: Round Two

Postby WebHamster » Fri May 04, 2007 4:20 pm

This thread contains comments on Jamaal Gilbert's Article "Swing and a Miss: Round Two", which was posted in the Cafe's Articles section on May 4, 2007. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 717)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jamastaballa » Fri May 04, 2007 10:58 pm

Bring on the criticism, everyone!
jamastaballa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Treebeard's Nuts » Sat May 05, 2007 11:38 am

You could change the title to : "Injuries Waiting to Happen" or "AARP All-Stars" or "Gray Hairs doing Great Things" :-b
But seriously, these players do deserve some credit for how they have been producing so far. Good article.

C Joe Mauer, 1B David Ortiz, 2B/3B B.J. Upton, 3B(DL) Akinori Iwamura, SS Carlos Guillén, OF Torii Hunter, OF J.D. Drew, OF Eric Byrnes, 1B Mark Teixeira, 3B Adrián Béltre, 2B/SS Aaron Hill, OF Josh Hamilton
SP Carlos Zambrano, SP Daisuke Matsuzaka, RP Mariano Rivera, RP Armando Benítez, P Tim Lincecum, P Jered Weaver,P John Maine, SP Tom Glavine, RPRafael Soriano, SP Cliff Lee
Treebeard's Nuts
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby noseeum » Sat May 05, 2007 3:37 pm

I have to disagree with the Silva recommendation. Sure his ERA has been good so far, but that's mostly due to luck. He's got a strand rate of 83% (73/76/66 the last three years), and that's not going to last for long. His hr/fb is at 6% as well vs. typical league average of about 10% (Silva's has been 10/12/16% the last three years).

He's not a very good pitcher for fantasy purposes or real purposes for that matter, and that's going to show very soon.

Stay away!!!
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jamastaballa » Sat May 05, 2007 5:45 pm

It's funny -- I just watched Silva dominate the Red Sox last night. He may not be an elite option, but he looks to be back to his 2005 form. You may not trust him yet, but you'll grow to trust him...now if the team could just provide a little support.

Thanks for checking out the article, dudes.
jamastaballa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby America's Team 3 » Fri May 11, 2007 2:09 am

Hey, I like your two articles. Keep 'em going with additional topics.

I would highly suggest that people do not pick up Mike Cameron. He is an AVG killer and is only getting older. Plus, both Terrmel Sledge and Jose Cruz, Jr. are playing well enough where Cameron might get benched for a number of games which only prevent him from getting into a rhythm to boost his offensive production. I think it's safer than sorry to trade him now while he has some remote value. It's never good to sell low....but you gotta cut your losses.

One other thing. Jason Marquis sucks. He will be the 2007 fantasy baseball symbol for selling high.
America's Team 3
T-Ball Trainer

Postby jamastaballa » Sat May 12, 2007 12:09 am

Thanks for the great comments, man!

I agree that Marquis is pitching over his head, but is it so far off to think he's not as bad as he was last year? Remember, he had a couple decent years before that...

And Mike Cameron will likely not go from 20-20 last year to complete crap in '07...I think you're a little off base with that one.
jamastaballa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Madison » Sat May 12, 2007 1:19 am

jamastaballa wrote:And Mike Cameron will likely not go from 20-20 last year to complete crap in '07...I think you're a little off base with that one.

He didn't call Cameron complete crap. Let's try it this way:

Mike Cameron is a career .250 hitter. That's a killer, especially in roto leagues. Toss in possibly missing time to Sledge and Cruz, and now he's got even less value as possibly only being a part time player.

Make sense? ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jamastaballa » Sat May 12, 2007 7:28 pm

Thanks for being that kid's mouthpiece, Madison, but your condescending tone outweighed any knowledge you tried to convey. The little happy smile at the end doesn't cover it.

You think I have no idea what I'm talking about? It's easy to see that Cameron is a lifetime .250 batter, but in the last two years he batted .270 with an avg. of 17 HR and 19 SB (and in 2005 he only had 308 at bats). On top of that, he only had one home run and six stolen bases after May 2006 (Five HR and five sb in '05), leading me to believe he's a slow starter. There's plenty of time for Cameron to turn it around, and though he gets a day off every once in awhile, it's only going to keep him fresh in the long run.

And secondly, the idea of the column was to find power/speed combos that are untapped as of yet...it wasn't like I was calling him Alfonso Soriano -- it's pretty obvious Cameron is past his prime. He is a possible CHEAP source of production that someone may have given up on by now.

Make sense? ;-)
jamastaballa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Cameron

Postby America's Team 3 » Sat May 12, 2007 8:46 pm

Sometimes, players just start to hit a wall. I think Mike Cameron is hitting the proverbial wall this year. With Cruz & Sledge, I see the Padres giving him less time to get out of his funk. Less opportunity can mean harder to get out of the funk. I really feel like he won't be as good as in year's past and more importantly his average will do you more harm than the sbs or hrs will give you.
America's Team 3
T-Ball Trainer

Next

Return to Article Discussions