Just because of the furor it seems to have caused, - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Just because of the furor it seems to have caused,

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ABA316 » Sat May 05, 2007 4:11 pm

CBM, just curious..

Is the reason you suggest league votes because of the commish being a party involved in the trade? Or just that it should be the norm in all trades?

Since this seems to have now caused hard feelings maybe, I cannot overstate enough that the trade itself I see as yes a stupid one but not one that I'm upset over. Rather, that the commish would be wise to have another way to decide trades if it is a trade that they are involved in.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun May 06, 2007 8:50 pm

ABA316 wrote:CBM, just curious..

Is the reason you suggest league votes because of the commish being a party involved in the trade? Or just that it should be the norm in all trades?

Since this seems to have now caused hard feelings maybe, I cannot overstate enough that the trade itself I see as yes a stupid one but not one that I'm upset over. Rather, that the commish would be wise to have another way to decide trades if it is a trade that they are involved in.

As a commissioner myself, I want no part of an autocratic trade resolution method. I have phone contact with all of the people in my league, so if I see a trade that I think is bad, I will encourage people to take a look and veto if they feel it is unfair.

I don't want to put myself in the position of having discretion over which trades are allowed, but then having to exercise that discretion on a trade that I might be winning. It creates a huge conflict of interest and can cast a shadow on my integrity as commish.

If I were to retain commissioner control over trade vetoes, I would still conduct a vote, just one that isn't made official until I put my final stamp of approval on it. I would go with whatever the league decided in every conceivable case, but it would be incumbent on me to incite dialogue about the trade to get as many opinions as possible.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby ABA316 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:37 am

Thanks for the elaboration. Just too bad that it seems I've upset some by posting this.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue May 08, 2007 12:18 pm

ABA316 wrote:Thanks for the elaboration. Just too bad that it seems I've upset some by posting this.

That happened to me in fantasy football this year.

The league commish traded

Fred Taylor, Amani Toomer, and LJ Smith

for

Chad Johnson

And to top it off, to accomodate the extra two players on his roster, the other guy was going to drop Deuce McAllister and Ben Watson.

(Sorry if you don't know the football ins and outs, but it was a bad trade)

So we had a 6 page thread over on the football cafe about it with a hot debate where both me and the guy getting Chad Johnson posted about 25 times apiece. We got a little bit contentious there, but I think the other guy learned from the experience.

Hopefully your leaguemates will be mature enough to see that you didn't bring the issue here to be a jerk, but just for the good of the league.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby ABA316 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:42 pm

Yeah I hear ya, I have done fantasy football so I can follow what you mean.

I hope that happens..I almost didn't play this year because I hate the seemingly unavoidable bickering with people I'm friends with over this stuff.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ABA316 » Sun May 13, 2007 1:32 pm

Update, gotta say commish went above and beyond on this one.

With the other owner's agreeance, the commish reversed the trade once Roberts got injured. Fair as I am, I myself honestly don't believe the commish was obligated to do so but felt it was the right thing to do.

Just validates my trust in the commish.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RowdyRed » Sun May 13, 2007 9:22 pm

A little late I know, but better late then never....

As commish of a league, here is what we do. I have a league vote, and if 2/3 of the league votes to allow or veto the trade, then the trade goes the way it was voted. If there is something less than 2/3 of the people agreeing, then it becomes my decision. I listen to both sides and then decide, with a leaning towards the way the voting went. If I am involved in the trade, the assistant commissioner decides. If we are both involved in the trade, then the initial vote is all that counts. That seems to be a fair way to decide if trades are fair or not, without too much power to the vote or too much power to me, the commish.
RowdyRed
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

no...

Postby UFB Commish » Wed May 16, 2007 1:06 am

If the manager who gets Roberts figures he needs the steals then he can claim he is getting value on that basis. Dye is struggling, but you'd assume he will be more useful than Roberts over the course of the rest of the season. I have Dye in my league and I wouldn't trade him for Roberts, but it isn't the worst trade I've ever seen and I'd let it go through.
UFB Commish
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner