Yahoo or Sportsline -- Your preference? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo or Sportsline -- Your preference?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby chadlincoln » Fri May 04, 2007 12:42 pm

I see no harm in having a large database at Yahoo. Since Yahoo does not provide a minor league roster like CBS, we have 30 bench spots to allow managers to stash minor league players that are in Yahoo without hurting their stats now because they still have decent depth with all those spots.

I know it'd be hard to maintain a database with every minor league player. Two options:

Option 1- Place the top 100 minor league prospects in the system. You can get this from USA today, baseball prospectus, wherever but then you can always have top prospects in the system.

Option 2- Allow a blank person to be in the system where you can type in their name then click Add. For example, I go to the available players and click 'blank'. I then go to another screen where I type in the name of the player that I want to pick up and designate his position. I add him to my roster with the typed in name showing up in the transaction log so that if two people have the same guy on their roster, you can see who was added first. Once the official guy is added into Yahoo, you can drop the fill-in name for the real guy who is now officially in Yahoo. This can be an option for leagues to turn on and off. Standard Yahoo leagues would have this off. Leagues used for dynastys/keepers could have the option to use this.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri May 04, 2007 12:43 pm

While I agree that Yahoo should standardize more on when players are added to their database, I still fail to understand the argument that some guys are getting screwed because the new hot prospect that was in the database too early got called up while they were at work. Even in a no-bench league, an owner can still add someone like Lincecum and take the zero on the stat sheet every day in the hopes that he gets called up. That is a LOT more fair than waiting until guys are called up before adding them to the database, when there is NO reward for doing the best research and taking the risk of adding them early.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby wrveres » Fri May 04, 2007 12:46 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:To present the counterpoint: every time one of these guys is going to be brought up and isn't in our player pool, there is tons of Yahoo cursing and screaming about what idiots we are for not having them in the player pool Image Hard to imagine us saying, "Yes, we know about him. We know he's good. We know half our leagues are dying to pick him up. We'll be adding him in 4 days."

In my personal opinion, the right answer is for us to loosen the reigns a bit and provide a deeper player pool to begin with. But that isn't my call, and isn't as simple as what I just said. But I'm definitely pointing the "right people" at this discussion so we can take it under consideration.

Oh I imagine you do take a beating. I know guys around here that are the authors of those nasty emails. I can't say I condone it, but I do realize it happens.
I do think this problem would be solved rather easily if you had clear cut guidelines as to who is in the database, and who is not. If the powers that be do not want to add every minor leaguer in the book, I understand that sort of. But if you had a set rule or guideline that said only a player with MLB experience (just an example) is in the database, you could answer those nasty emails with a simple, "check the rules".

Ideally a much larger database would be perfect. If Yahoo really wants to tackle the keeper leagues in the future, and keep us logging in year round, they are going to have to expand the database anyways.

I am not sure if you have seen CBS's player database, but it is insanely large. You could probably draft Albert Belle if you wanted to. Maybe its too large. I don't know. But the players database surely doesn't seem to cause any issues. When we get right down to it, they are just a bunch of names on a piece of paper anyways, so I guess I don't see the problems with Yahoo drastically expanding their database of players, except for the fact that a few guys with corner offices don't want to.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby reenum » Fri May 04, 2007 12:47 pm

jswede wrote:
reenum wrote:Yahoo wins hands down in my opinion. They have a much better UI, it's easy to search the waiver wire, etc.

How is the waiver wire search different? (never used Yahoo)

I found it to be a bit less intuitive than what Yahoo provides. Maybe I'm just that used to Yahoo leagues, though.
I never smile if I can help it.... Showing one's teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life.
reenum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Super Manny » Sat May 05, 2007 12:47 am

FSG...

Where is Eddie Guardado...?

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=278531

:-?

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby jcde7ago » Sat May 05, 2007 1:07 am

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but i've never really had any qualms with Yahoo! Fantasy Baseball to bring it up..

The other day my friend told me he had joined a keeper league on Yahoo...and i was surprised to hear that because i'd been playing Yahoo! fantasy baseball for the last 6-7 years...

My question is, does Yahoo have a keeper league in the traditional sense that it's actually an option like on Sportsline, or is it simply done through editing of some of the available options and merely doing a manual offline draft and plugging in the same players from the previous year? If not, how is a keeper league done in Yahoo if you can even do it at all?

Cause i've gotta say, other than minor delays of minor leaguers/DL problems, Yahoo is pretty much hands down the choice over Sportsline. Would appreciate any feedback, and sorry again if this has been laid out before :-)
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Sat May 05, 2007 2:05 am

jcde7ago wrote: doing a manual offline draft and plugging in the same players from the previous year?

Bingo. Offline draft and the commish places all players on the teams they were drafted for. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jcde7ago » Sat May 05, 2007 2:09 am

Madison wrote:
jcde7ago wrote: doing a manual offline draft and plugging in the same players from the previous year?

Bingo. Offline draft and the commish places all players on the teams they were drafted for. ;-D

sweet thanks for the help... ;-D

Yahoo give us an actual keeper league option! :-b
12-Team Yahoo! H2H Keeper League - 3-Sport Dynasty - Year 4 - Jonny D's Team
Keepers: Albert Pujols/Jose Reyes/Ryan Braun/Grady Sizemore/Evan Longoria/Tim Lincecum = SWEET!

#25 - Barry Bonds - 73, 762
jcde7ago
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BravesGuy » Sat May 05, 2007 9:41 am

CBS over Yahoo for me. I'm not a fan of the ranking systems in Yahoo, so many new managers live and die off the O-Rank, you actually have to look at the numbers in CBS. Plus I like the layout of CBS, keeper league option is great too.... but I'm sure yahoo will be coming out with this soon, if they don't then they are crazy.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 47)

Postby jswede » Sat May 05, 2007 2:08 pm

Could someone post a picture today of the infamous Yahoo Stattracker in use for us CBS'ers to check out?
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers