Yahoo or Sportsline -- Your preference? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo or Sportsline -- Your preference?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo or Sportsline -- Your preference?

Postby Chip1010 » Fri May 04, 2007 1:53 am

Sorry if this has been asked before, and if there's a good thread on it, please point me in the right direction. That said:

I'm the commish of a keeper league in its first year. We're at Yahoo right now. One owner was upset that he couldn't draft Hughes before the season started, where CBS and ESPN both had him in the player pool. Then he went on waivers and someone else got him. I think he has a legitimate beef. In a keeper, I think you should have access to as many players as possible.

He has suggested going to CBS next year, where the player pool is deeper. Most of the guys in the league have said they have no problem with that, and they're willing to pay the $10 per team or whatever (because we all end up buying the Yahoo StatTracker anyway, so it's essentially a wash), but I'd like some more opinions.

Can anyone who has used both tell me which they prefer and why? I've never played on CBS. Yahoo feels like second nature to me because that's all I know, but I'm always up for something new if it's better.

WHIR, as always. Thanks, guys.
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri May 04, 2007 2:24 am

I play keeper leagues that are hosted on Yahoo, and what we do is simply draft whoever we want and leave a roster spot open for that player until he's added. Once he's added to the Yahoo database, the commish sticks the player in that spot on the manager's team that drafted him. If someone doesn't leave their spot open for said player, they forfeit the right to get him immediately and before the waiver process. Said player is treated like any other undrafted player at that point.

Might be something for you guys to consider doing. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Fri May 04, 2007 2:59 am

I am so upset right now.
This may be my last season on Yahoo, simply because of their repeated mismanagement of their player database.

grrr
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 743)

Postby Chip1010 » Fri May 04, 2007 4:47 am

Madison wrote:I play keeper leagues that are hosted on Yahoo, and what we do is simply draft whoever we want and leave a roster spot open for that player until he's added. Once he's added to the Yahoo database, the commish sticks the player in that spot on the manager's team that drafted him. If someone doesn't leave their spot open for said player, they forfeit the right to get him immediately and before the waiver process. Said player is treated like any other undrafted player at that point.

But in a Live Yahoo draft, don't you have to take a player in every round? Would you just announce the player you'd like to eventually have then take a scrub, or what?
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dooz » Fri May 04, 2007 4:56 am

exactly^
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby johntudor » Fri May 04, 2007 7:24 am

CBS is really flexible and has a lot of options for keeper leagues. Way deeper player database, and more useful player info/updates.
johntudor
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Fri May 04, 2007 8:22 am

Chip1010 wrote:
Madison wrote:I play keeper leagues that are hosted on Yahoo, and what we do is simply draft whoever we want and leave a roster spot open for that player until he's added. Once he's added to the Yahoo database, the commish sticks the player in that spot on the manager's team that drafted him. If someone doesn't leave their spot open for said player, they forfeit the right to get him immediately and before the waiver process. Said player is treated like any other undrafted player at that point.

But in a Live Yahoo draft, don't you have to take a player in every round? Would you just announce the player you'd like to eventually have then take a scrub, or what?

I was thinking slow message board draft, not a live draft. How do you guys run a keeper with a live Yahoo draft? *Hope* everyone selects their keepers with their first X picks? A slow message board draft usually works a whole lot better.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri May 04, 2007 9:05 am

Madison wrote:
Chip1010 wrote:

I was thinking slow message board draft, not a live draft. How do you guys run a keeper with a live Yahoo draft? *Hope* everyone selects their keepers with their first X picks? A slow message board draft usually works a whole lot better.

Agreed. Slow draft works better but I did a keeper in a live draft for the first time this season. All that is required is for all of the other owners to put the other keepers on their EXCLUDED PLAYERS list. Also make sure that owners that will not be at the draft rank their keepers as their top X players. It's a good idea for all owners to do that in case of PC malfunction.

I should also add that I do all of the bookkeeping in a free Yahoo Group as well.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby dbstrat » Fri May 04, 2007 10:04 am

I played on Sportsline a couple of times. There better player database management does little to eclipse the fact that every other aspect of their interface sucks really bad.

They have some neat features like the homepage headlines and whatnot, but overall literally everything you want to do is much more confusing and irritating than it is on Yahoo.

I'll never play Sportsline again.
dbstrat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri May 04, 2007 10:16 am

We were on Yahoo for several years, moved over to CBS this year, but I think we're going to move back to Yahoo.

CBS has more bells and whistles, tracks league history better, makes keepers easier, has WAY more players in the database so that waivers become a battle for dropped players (not timing of minor league callups), and I like their trade interface way better. Also, the customizability is cool and you can do much better stat sorting.

That said - to get all the extras, it is harder to navigate and is not nearly as intuitive. For leagues that move from Yahoo to CBS, they'll find it frustrating. You always have to make that one extra click to get to stats, or free agents analysis or whatever.

There are two huge things that CBS could add/change to entice Yahooers:

1. When you go to add a free agent, it takes you to your add/drop page. Makes sense, but you can't compare the player you want to add to the players on your current roster. You have to go back to the new player's personal page and do a 1-to-1 comparison with any player from the entire database. This would be a simple fix.

2. They should add ranking based on stat performance, league settings, and the time period selected. This would be the same as Yahoo's actual rank (not their stupid O-Rank) - it would allow you to sort players easier, make trade analysis easier, and things like that.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers